Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-04-2021, 07:48   #31

Boat: Florida Coaster 42’
Re: Lake Superior Best Practices Advice

I can’t imagine you can stay out very long with a porta-potty’s limited capacity. Although I have never been boarded in over 20 years, I would think the usually small tank would be an obvious risk. Further, grey water discharge is definitely prohibited in the Isle Royale park, but I again have never seen any enforcement action. That restriction is on the park pass, and its intent is to limit the chemicals entering the anchorage bays that are not swept clean into the main lake. The other rules banning pets and giving priority to campers for the available docks keep me away most of the time, but my vessel has a grey water tank that will contain a few days of shower and dish water.
timb7734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 07:53   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by _LifeInTheWild_ View Post
We plan to spend some time in the Apostles this summer. We are at a marina in Bayfield, so we have a lot of near by exploring. I am great at roughing it unlike my wife. She likes to be clean and to eat off clean dishes. She even washes her hands after using the head. We don't have a holding tank, so I am curious as to what people do for dish, body, and hand washing aboard when at anchor. I would like to comply with regulations and to have as little impact on the ecosystems as I can manage. Thanks.
No holding? Assume you have an air composting head. All Great Lakes are zero discharge.

Grey water overboard is permitted.

Swim, use eco friendly soap or none.

Keep a lake water bucket on a rope on deck for washing.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 08:12   #33

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
I just bought a boat that has a marine head and no holding tank that the prior owner had sailed on Superior. He'd removed the head and installed a portable camping toilet.

He put the head back in, when he sold the boat to me. I'll be taking it out, again, before I put the boat into the water. What I'll put into is place I haven't yet decided.
You might want to check the regs on portapotties. I know in Canada they're allowed, but not treated the same as proper proper MSDs (Marine Sanitation Devices). For example, I don't think it allows you to drink alcohol while on board -- something about needing a permanent MSD.
Old 16-04-2021, 11:41   #34

Always wash your hands man
Amazingrace1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 12:02   #35

Boat: Vaitses/Herreshoff Meadow Lark 37'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
You might want to check the regs on portapotties. I know in Canada they're allowed, but not treated the same as proper proper MSDs (Marine Sanitation Devices). For example, I don't think it allows you to drink alcohol while on board -- something about needing a permanent MSD.
The prior owner had used a portapotty. Me, I plan on simply removing the head, and dealing with the issue later. I won't need it for what I plan to do for the first couple of weeks in the water.

I'm leaning towards a DIY compositing head, but mostly I'm refusing to make a decision until I've spent more time on the boat.

I will say, though, there are a number of options I might consider for day sailing and an occasional over-nighter on Lake Pepin that I would not consider for use on Lake Superior. But we're months away from over-nighters on Pepin, and more than a year away from hauling the boat up to Bayfield.
Jdege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2021, 14:02   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdege View Post
The prior owner had used a portapotty. Me, I plan on simply removing the head, and dealing with the issue later. I won't need it for what I plan to do for the first couple of weeks in the water.

I'm leaning towards a DIY compositing head, but mostly I'm refusing to make a decision until I've spent more time on the boat.

I will say, though, there are a number of options I might consider for day sailing and an occasional over-nighter on Lake Pepin that I would not consider for use on Lake Superior. But we're months away from over-nighters on Pepin, and more than a year away from hauling the boat up to Bayfield.
Like I say, I just suggest you check into the regs and laws that apply. I know porta potties are allowed, but are treated differently legally speaking (at least here in Canada).

A composting head is an excellent option (in my biased opinion ). It is a Type III MSD.
Old 10-02-2022, 14:17   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Youmans View Post
Been boarded once by Grand Marais, MN Coast Guard in Lake superior and they were very courteous and only recommendation was to have placard‘s somewhere stating no overboard discharge of oil or refuse. They said you could make your own on a piece of paper and post it somewhere. Numerous Isle Royal trips and only requirement other than basic safety gear is registering that you will be arriving and when you will be departing. No mention of gray water issue by them. No dogs allowed, and no pump outs last summer available due to COVID.
Fuel unavailable at Rossport on N shore of Canada so long stretches without facilities.
No dogs even on the boat?
PirateFoxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 14:44   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
No dogs even on the boat?

Yup... not even on the boat. At least this was the case when I sailed those waters, but I left in 2014, so you might want to confirm with the park.
Old 10-02-2022, 15:04   #39

Quote:
Yup... not even on the boat. At least this was the case when I sailed those waters, but I left in 2014, so you might want to confirm with the park.
Wow, it would never have occurred to me somewhere would have a rule like that. Now I know to look into it if/when we get a boat. I would’ve just figured as long as the dog stays on the boat, nbd. Though I guess if there’s wildlife and a sensitive ecosystem dogs can bark and scare stuff and might always jump out of the boat anyway?
Old 10-02-2022, 15:34   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateFoxy View Post
Wow, it would never have occurred to me somewhere would have a rule like that. Now I know to look into it if/when we get a boat. I would’ve just figured as long as the dog stays on the boat, nbd. Though I guess if there’s wildlife and a sensitive ecosystem dogs can bark and scare stuff and might always jump out of the boat anyway?
Yes, it is a US national park, and a big part of its mandate is to protect the fragile ecosystem of the island. I guess they believe the risk of a pet getting on the island and bringing disease, or something... is too great. This includes all pets like cats as well.

I cruised out of Thunder Bay for many years and never did visit Isle Royale because of these rules. Our cruising community used to call it Isle Rules because of all the restrictions. But it is a beautiful area, so do go if you can.

Even better, come over to the Canadian side of the Big Lake. There you'll find all the wilderness anyone could crave, with hundreds of anchorages, and virtually no one else around.

And few rules .
Old 10-02-2022, 16:07   #41

Quote:
Yes, it is a US national park, and a big part of its mandate is to protect the fragile ecosystem of the island. I guess they believe the risk of a pet getting on the island and bringing disease, or something... is too great. This includes all pets like cats as well.

I cruised out of Thunder Bay for many years and never did visit Isle Royale because of these rules. Our cruising community used to call it Isle Rules because of all the restrictions. But it is a beautiful area, so do go if you can.

Even better, come over to the Canadian side of the Big Lake. There you'll find all the wilderness anyone could crave, with hundreds of anchorages, and virtually no one else around.

And few rules .
With Covid and a kid in high school, we’re not anticipating much boating for a couple of years yet (kiddo off to college, hopefully things better re: Covid - I’m possibly immune compromised due to medication so we’re being extra cautious while they do their research on the meds I’m on) but I’m kind of embarrassed it only just recently occurred to me that our first cruising adventures could be on the Great Lakes. I grew up going to Lake Erie in Ohio every summer, my brother learned to sail on Erie! 🤣 (Alas, the sailboat he learned in was no longer available once I was old enough to start learning properly.)

We are hoping to get to Canada and see things from that side from the land this year in the RV, though, if my passport ever gets renewed. (The US passport office is being very very slooooow right now.) So if there’s any land-based stuff we should make sure to check out, let me know. We’ll most likely be coming in by way of Buffalo/Niagara, NY since we’re just a bit south in western PA. 😄

Tags
Advice, lake superior