Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-04-2019, 07:50   #1

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310
Lake Ontario prepares for flooding again

After the disastrous 2017 flooding, here we go again.

https://www.whec.com/news/gov-cuomo-...33151/?cat=565

Dept. of Conservation will monitor to determine areas likely to get flooded. Rocket scientists, huh. My bet is it's the same places as 2017. You know, low lying areas on the waterfront. But what do I know?
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2019, 15:25   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: Lake Ontario prepares for flooding again

Welcome to the club - we live near the Ottawa River. Here it's easy to figure out where the areas susceptible to flooding are: take an aerial photo and plot it onto a topo map.

And if you want to see some really crazy stuff do a search on "Beauce house flood". Guess what - if you make a house's foundation watertight it will actually float when the soil becomes saturated.
Old 30-04-2019, 06:10   #3

Sadly, the news that Ottawa and Montreal are experiencing terrible flooding (again) doesn't make the news in USA. Perhaps because the interests of US Lake Ontario shore owners are diametrically opposed to those in Montreal- save Lake Ontario shoreside dwellings, destroy Montreal.
Old 30-04-2019, 11:37   #4

And, NY governor Cuomo gives a big up yours to our Canadian neighbors:

The governor said he understands there are “different jurisdictions involved. There are issues in Canada, etc. But frankly, our concerns are the people and the properties of New York..."
Old 22-05-2019, 09:12   #5

Quick update on Lake Ontario flooding:

Lake level is up 8" in 10 days.

Despite early government statements that the lake level would be unlikely to hit the record set in 2017, the lake level is now within 4" of that historic record, and predicted to rise another 5" meaning it will set another "100 year flood" record.

The barrier beach on the NE side of Sodus Bay, breached in 2017, is again inundated, mixing lake and bay water in one body. Two cottages are write-offs.

I was on Sodus and the lake a few days ago, floating logs are everywhere. Along with docks.

Katlynn Marine on Sodus is investing big $$, building riser platforms for the docks.

The good news for sailors is that with the speed limit at 5mph, the bay won't be tossed with powerboat wake.

Old 22-05-2019, 09:29   #6

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’ve just driven along the Canadian side of the 1000 Islands, down to Belleville (Bay of Quinte). I sailed these waters in 2017 and I’d say that it looks as high, or higher, in the places I’ve seen.

Here’s a screen shot of the Lake Ontario water levels from 2016. The blue dots show the measured water levels, with the current forecast range shown in the dark red bars. You can see the upper end of the forecast range has it going above 2017 peaks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	L Ont water levels.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	192542  
Old 22-05-2019, 13:38   #7

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetepare View Post
And, NY governor Cuomo gives a big up yours to our Canadian neighbors:

The governor said he understands there are “different jurisdictions involved. There are issues in Canada, etc. But frankly, our concerns are the people and the properties of New York..."
Errr, would you argue that Gov. Cuomo's concerns should not be concerned with the people of his jurisdiction? Sorry, but that doesn't make sense to me, either. Perhaps not a big "up yours", but a statement of how it is.

He has the duty to use resources at hand to protect his constituency.

All of us want to keep our homes (even me, my floating one). Weather does what it does, and has always re-configured the landscapes. We build in the way of rivers and on flood plains and in steep canyons, and we suffer from flooding and forest fires. There are individual tragedies, no one wants his home or his city destroyed.

I'd like to read of a politically doable solution: it's just that it's hard to believe in a multi-national consensus as to what should be done. Plus it would have to happen at a diplomatic level, and again, I think consensus would be difficult to achieve.

Ann
Old 22-05-2019, 14:10   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Errr, would you argue that Gov. Cuomo's concerns should not be concerned with the people of his jurisdiction? <snip> I think consensus would be difficult to achieve.

Ann

Well, thinking that Gov. Cuomo cares about constituents outside of NYC is a stretch. This is the most corrupt state in the nation.

Consensus is indeed difficult. The current water level controls were established by the greenies to help the swamps. Little do they realize it won't help the swamps.

Then there is either-or: either Lake Ontario floods, or Montreal floods. Pick one...or both.

Then we have two nations, and in fact the water level concerns NY, Ontario and Quebec, and politically there have always been some odds between Ontario and Quebec.

Blame for losses are often put on the shore property owners, "they deserve it" though frankly it's sour grapes because the lakefront is now owned by big money- typically not locals. That said, are they at fault? The government told them (and taxes them) that this was a 2017 was a 100 year flood...boy the next century seemed to go fast!

So in all, it's a lose-lose situation. To benefit the swamps and such we can't have a tiny (1 meter) swing, we need an annual 3 meter change...and that won't be allowed. If the lake shoreline (NY & Ontario) is preserved, Montreal gets wrecked.

So far as Cuomo's comments about putting NY interests ahead of Montreal, all I can say is what I've said before- "we" are sailors, and boaters, and lovers of water. We as a whole don't care about boundaries, reporting in, and all that other nonsense. Get rid of the lake level commission and put a group of lake dwellers in place- that's the best consensus possible.
Old 22-05-2019, 14:39   #9

Boat: Rafiki 37

I’m pretty sure neither the State nor the Provincial governments controls the flow of the Great Lakes/St. Lawrence. It is managed by the International Joint Commission. So Cuomo or Ford can huff and puff all they want.
Old 23-05-2019, 06:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Cooperation with neighbouring jurisdictions is important for addressing transboundary concerns related to water management and ensuring the sustainability of our environment.
Interest-based negotiations are a negotiating strategy where both sides start by sharing their interests, and then work towards an agreement that satisfies common interests and balances opposing interests. Through this process the interests of both parties are identified and the parties work together to agree on options that meet those interests.

Since it was established in 1955 by the Great Lakes Basin Compact, the Great Lakes Commission has worked with its member states and provinces to address issues of common concern, develop shared solutions and collectively advance an agenda to protect and enhance the region’s economic prosperity and environmental health. A parallel agreement, the Sustainable Water Resources Agreement, includes Ontario and Québec, the two Canadian provinces that border the Great Lakes and the St. Lawrence Seaway.

Great Lakes--St. Lawrence River Water Resources Regional Body

http://www.glc.org/wp-content/upload...sinCompact.pdf

http://www.gsgp.org/media/1332/great..._agreement.pdf

http://www.gsgp.org/media/1330/great...es_compact.pdf

Additionally, there’s International Boundary Waters Treaty, which established a Joint International Commission “to prevent disputes regarding the use of boundary waters and to settle all questions which are now pending between the United States and the Dominion of Canada involving the rights, obligations, or interests of either in relation to the other or to the inhabitants of the other, along their common frontier.”

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
lake ontario, ontario