Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2019, 22:58   #16

Re: Lake huron to lake erie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraleeG View Post
Hi!
Taking my 38' sailboat from lake Huron ( sarnia) to lake erie ( buffalo). Hard to find information on the space between the lake specifically
St Clair River
Lake Sr Clair
Detroit River
What cruising guide is available?
Mast height ok?
Anybody make the trip can give us a run down?
What guides are available for this section?
Thanks!!
This is our home stomping ground. Upriver can be challenging with a sailboat but downriver...

Starting from Sarnia, you are on about the toughest part...but you are going downstream so you can make a lot of miles per day. Then prevailing winds will be at your back across Erie. About as easy a trip as you can have.

A big question is do you want to stick to the Canadian side or are you good crossing to the US side. The US side has more ports to pull into (about every 20-30miles).

An alternative if not in a rush, would be to instead head north and take the Trent-Severn. It's a good deal longer both in miles and time but would make a great summer cruise with a lot more to see. (not a good option if you are just doing a deliver run)
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 01:42   #17

Boat: C+C Landfall 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by sail34 View Post
Hi
I did this trip earlier this year on a 35 foot boat.
Watch the currents under the Bluewater Bridge. I travel just outside the channel as much as possible, watch your charts and watch for freighters. I went from Bayfield to an anchorage behind Stag Island. From Stag to an anchorage at Peche Island. Peche to Pelee Island anchorage south of ferry wharf . I had to stop in both Erieau and Port Stanley for repairs.Port Stanley to Bluff Bar anchorage around Long Point. Bluff Bar to Port Maitland, anchored up the river( lots of water) Port Maitland to Port Colbourne where I took my mast down ( $3.50 cdn as opposed to $7.50 us)per foot. Then across to Buffalo and into the Erie canal.
You can download chart 14853 (Port Huron to Lake Erie) and 14786 (New York Canal System) for free from NOAA
My travelling time on the water was 8 days Bayfield to Buffalo (although I had to haul in Port Stanley for 10 days)
I hope some of this helps
Cheers
Perfect!! Thanks. We are in Bayfield now will go north to lake superior first chunk of summer ( dont want to miss the north channel) then south to buffalo as you described. Where are you now? Thoughts on erie canal? Are you moving her south too?
LauraleeG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2019, 03:45   #18

Boat: Nonsuch 30

We may see you next summer in the NC and will be heading down to Lake Erie and eventually Lake Ontario. We will go up to Georgian Bay via the Trent-Severn but our draft is only 4'3". Thought about buying a Landfall 38 once and I seem to remember draft was 5' which should be OK for the TS but very possibly is not, especially late in the season.

WRT to the Erie Canal, you have two choices. You can get into the canal at Buffalo or you can go into Lake Ontario via the Welland Canal and enter the Erie Canal at Oswego in the SE corner of Lake Ontario. Both are viable solutions depends on what your plans are for summer of 2021.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:56   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
This is our home stomping ground. Upriver can be challenging with a sailboat but downriver...

Starting from Sarnia, you are on about the toughest part...but you are going downstream so you can make a lot of miles per day. Then prevailing winds will be at your back across Erie. About as easy a trip as you can have.

A big question is do you want to stick to the Canadian side or are you good crossing to the US side. The US side has more ports to pull into (about every 20-30miles).

An alternative if not in a rush, would be to instead head north and take the Trent-Severn. It's a good deal longer both in miles and time but would make a great summer cruise with a lot more to see. (not a good option if you are just doing a deliver run)
We are doing the North Channel / A bit of Lake Superior. Thought about the TS but a tad worried about our draft and the mast down and up and...just too much time for something we can see by car. Also, want to spend the bulk of the time in the isolation of the North Channel vs the melee on the TS.
I used to sail out of Dover--so I am good with the Canadian side. Or...we might do the US side at the Eastern End, then the Canadian side for the run down the lake.
Thanks for the comments re: the current etc.
Old 09-12-2019, 03:58   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We may see you next summer in the NC and will be heading down to Lake Erie and eventually Lake Ontario. We will go up to Georgian Bay via the Trent-Severn but our draft is only 4'3". Thought about buying a Landfall 38 once and I seem to remember draft was 5' which should be OK for the TS but very possibly is not, especially late in the season.

WRT to the Erie Canal, you have two choices. You can get into the canal at Buffalo or you can go into Lake Ontario via the Welland Canal and enter the Erie Canal at Oswego in the SE corner of Lake Ontario. Both are viable solutions depends on what your plans are for summer of 2021.
We were originally going to do the TS--but mast up and mast down then mast up for L. Ont. then mast down for Erie Canal...ugh.
Also prefer to spend the time in the isolation of the NC vs the business of TS. However, we might do the TS area by car...one day one day...
Hopefully we will see you next summer!
Old 09-12-2019, 08:03   #21

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
We are doing the North Channel / A bit of Lake Superior. Thought about the TS but a tad worried about our draft and the mast down and up and...just too much time for something we can see by car. Also, want to spend the bulk of the time in the isolation of the North Channel vs the melee on the TS.
I used to sail out of Dover--so I am good with the Canadian side. Or...we might do the US side at the Eastern End, then the Canadian side for the run down the lake.
Thanks for the comments re: the current etc.
I started this cruising life in the NC. Great place, although a tad busy in July to mid August. I highly recommend Lake Superior to anyone who has the time. I know the Canadian side rather intimately, and am acquainted with west and Apostles areas. Have never traveled the south shore.

Problem with Superior is, coming from the south, you need time to really get into it. The first sections through Whitefish Bay and up past Batchawana Bay offer fewer anchorages. But once past Mamainse it becomes a remote cruisers' paradise.

The TSW aims for 6' depth minimum, but I think they ask that you check with them before entering if you have 5' or more. There have been many seasons when 5' would struggle.
Old 09-12-2019, 08:37   #22

Boat: Beneteau 361

I managed to "peek" into eastern Superior last summer, as I only had about one week time before I had to start moving back towards Georgian Bay...but it is unlike anything we are used to in the lower lakes. Random weather, fog, very cold water, stunning scenery and ocean-like swell. Highly recommended. Sinclair cove was the highlight. I did not see another cruising boat in a week.

skalashn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 01:27   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by skalashn View Post
I managed to "peek" into eastern Superior last summer, as I only had about one week time before I had to start moving back towards Georgian Bay...but it is unlike anything we are used to in the lower lakes. Random weather, fog, very cold water, stunning scenery and ocean-like swell. Highly recommended. Sinclair cove was the highlight. I did not see another cruising boat in a week.

So many places...so little time. I wonder often about our need to " go south " and not spend the time instead, exploring the isolation of our province...or even the east coast.
Old 10-12-2019, 05:49   #24

Boat: C&C 37/40+

Quote:
So many places...so little time. I wonder often about our need to " go south " and not spend the time instead, exploring the isolation of our province...or even the east coast.
I've wondered the same thing because I absolutely hate salt water but the season is just way too short here and getting to be a lot of work every year with rigging, derig, winterize, take all the cushions off, put all the cushions back on, etc etc.
Bear15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 08:26   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
To my mind Lake Superior remains one of the best cruising places for those who seek wilderness, and want to avoid the crowds. Superior can challenge the most accomplished sailor with big winds and big seas, but the anchorages are endless (at least on the east/north (Canadian) sides). And best of all, there's almost no one out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear15 View Post
I've wondered the same thing because I absolutely hate salt water but the season is just way too short here and getting to be a lot of work every year with rigging, derig, winterize, take all the cushions off, put all the cushions back on, etc etc.
Funny ... I kinda agree with you, except I've traded short-season fresh water (L. Superior) for short season salt water (Newfoundland). Not sure what this says about me, but it can't be good .
Old 16-12-2019, 07:28   #26

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

When we did this we found a chart book for the whole of the between lakes transit. It was excellent and in order like a AAA trip-tick.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 09:33   #27

Boat: Beneteau First 345

Quote:
Our boat is in Bayfield now. Will do the North Channel in summer then make the above mentioned trip mid august, early sept. Winter in Buffalo.
Whats the time line from Sarnia to Lake Erie?
Lol@mast height....fair enough. Guess I dont need to worry about that then.
There will be several boats from the Windsor area in the North Channel this coming summer. Watch for me Sail Away 3 or listen on the Little Current cruisers net and get in touch. Lots of people and places to meet who can give you advice. Top up on fuel in Sarnia and you'll be fine. For fuel... Belle River, Windsor, Leamington, Erieau, Port Dover, Port Colborne. What is your final destination?
Sail Away 3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2019, 10:50   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

This is the chart book

https://www.oceangrafix.com/chart/de...St-Clair-River
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 03:06   #29

Boat: 33 Hunter

It is a lovely trip with many possible stops along the way, just watch out for the freighter traffic.

Here’s a series of blogs on a similar trip I took a few years back, you might find some useful info here.

http://blog.lifeisgrand.org/2016/07/sailing-from-sarnia-to-port-dover-day-1.html?m=1

Here’s another series on North Channel sailing. Have fun!!

http://blog.lifeisgrand.org/2015/07/north-channel-2015-sarnia-to-middle-of.html?m=1
bellablue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2019, 03:36   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Thanks--very helpful!