Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2018, 10:12   #16

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter
Re: Great Lakes Surface Water Temperatures

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTatia View Post
Interesting. Lake Erie being the shallowest has to be the warmest.

I would expect all lakes to have a gradual trend upwards then dipping in the fall - I wonder why it oscillates between July and October.

But 24 degrees on Lake Ontario in October? Nah!
There is no mention where they take the measurements - shore or off-shore.
Actually, we regularly swim off the boat in Lake Ontario and 24C is fairly typical in August, at least in the first six feet/two metres and not just close to shore, either. Dive down, however, and you'll hit some considerably colder water soon enough. Also consider that Lake Erie is more southerly than Ontario, and has greater insolation, so that pretty toasty water is going over the Falls. It doesn't all mix but stratifies; hence, Ontario can get bath-like in later summer. As for the oscillations, storms, currents and "upwellings" can bring cooler water at depth up to the surface. The measurements are taken at weather buoys just offshore, and in the middle of the lake near the international border. The U.S. and Canadian sides only differ by a degree or so.

That said, Superior is comparatively nippy, although I'm told you can swim in the bays that warm up sufficiently. The problem with spring and fall sailing (more so spring) is that the water/air temperature difference can produce thick fogs. Bring a radar!
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2018, 10:23   #17

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by earthmover View Post
Best Lake is Lake Huron and at the north end you have Manitoulin Island and then on the north side of Manitoulin you have the best gunkholing around. Surface temperatures in July, August and September are great for swimming but at a hundred feet you are 2-4C and should be wearing a dry suit. I live at the south end of Lake Huron and sail out of Sarnia Yacht Club and Bridgeview Marina and Port Huron Yacht Club and we love to race against each other every Wednesday night and Sunday afternoon. Ok as far as the other Great Lakes, they all have vibrant Sailing. The north side of Lake Superior is definitely on my bucket list.
I spent a lot of time cruising the North Channel. It’s great for gunkholing. The anchorages are many, and close together. And in the summer months the waters are warm and the sailing is easy. The only downside to the area is the sheer number of people. The area attracts a lot of boaters from the rest of the Great Lakes, so I found it quite crowded during July to mid-August. Before and after that it’s great.

Lake Superior is a whole different level of cruising. If you like remote rugged shores, big water, and lack of crowds, then head up the Canadian shores (the east and north shores). Anchorages are plentiful along these shores, but crowds and services are not. So come prepared.
Old 27-01-2018, 17:08   #18

Thank you Steady Hand that is a handy chart.
bpratt1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 00:16   #19

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

On my list to do Great Lakes. Question! Due to the coldness of the water will my plywood Sharpie sweat inside my tiny cabin? Will my wood burning stove keep up with keeping the cabin dry?
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 02:45   #20

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
On my list to do Great Lakes. Question! Due to the coldness of the water will my plywood Sharpie sweat inside my tiny cabin? Will my wood burning stove keep up with keeping the cabin dry?
It's only really cold in the spring. The lakes retain summer's heat well into October, when the air temperatures tend to restrict sailing. We've had trips then and running a small ceramic heater at dock in the cabin did indeed produce condensation from our breath overnight. But cracking the hatch and an extra set of blankets solved that. Woodstove on a plywood Sharpie would be more effective (with some sort of dorade to vent in fresh air) because a lot of the moisture would go out of the boat via the Charley Noble I assume you have.

There's still fog in the fall, but it burns off in the mid-morning for the most part.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 02:52   #21

The won't compete with Rome or Istanbul if you rate purely on age and quantity but there is some great history available as it relates to Canada and the USA.
- Mackinaw
- Alpena (underwater shipwrecks)
- Fort Wayne (the fort not the city)
- Niagra (first large scale electric power plant)
- Eire Canal
- Chicago
- Several of the now small towns were once big logging and mining centers.
- War of 1812 sites

Yes, it can be cold. In april crossing Lake St. Clair, we've been in snow squalls. Late July/August before most are tolerable for swiming though if you get into shallow bays, it can often be much warmer.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 04:34   #22
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The won't compete with Rome or Istanbul if you rate purely on age and quantity but there is some great history available as it relates to Canada and the USA.
- Mackinaw
- Alpena (underwater shipwrecks)
- Fort Wayne (the fort not the city)
- Niagra (first large scale electric power plant)
- Eire Canal
- Chicago
- Several of the now small towns were once big logging and mining centers.
- War of 1812 sites

Yes, it can be cold. In april crossing Lake St. Clair, we've been in snow squalls. Late July/August before most are tolerable for swiming though if you get into shallow bays, it can often be much warmer.
I do love history, so thank you for providing a list of possible things to see.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 05:16   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Delivering a boat through Lake Ontario on an Easter weekend en route to Alexandria Bay. Had to stop in Cobourg to drop off a crew member with hypothermia.
Old 28-01-2018, 05:28   #24
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

TO BOATPOKER,
Thanks for adding the photos. Brrrr.
________

TO EVERYONE,
Thanks for adding the anecdotes and experiences and tips.
Old 28-01-2018, 09:53   #25

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
I don’t know your boat Alan, but it really depends on which GL you’re talking about. It is a huge area covering a large climatic range. The difference between north and south, big and small, are vast. Even within each lake, the weather and climate can vary considerably.

In general, you should do just fine with a good wood stove. Condensation is managed with air flow. It will be more of a problem in the cold waters of the northern lakes. I’ve been rained on down below, but you learn to manage...
Old 29-01-2018, 07:01   #26

Boat: Grand Banks 42 Classic

Boated the Great Lakes for 50 years. Search YouTube "ice on great lakes memorial day" It's rather hysterical to see someone sitting in a lifeguard chair with ice chunks washing ashore. It's cold. Always cold.
Nightcrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 07:20   #27
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightcrawler View Post
Boated the Great Lakes for 50 years. Search YouTube "ice on great lakes memorial day" It's rather hysterical to see someone sitting in a lifeguard chair with ice chunks washing ashore. It's cold. Always cold.
Good suggestion.
Here is the video, and it shows a lot of ice out on the water.

Old 29-01-2018, 07:23   #28
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This video shows satellite photos of Lake Superior for one ice season.

The ice covers the lake completely for several weeks, as shown in the video, with large sections of ice lasting through May.

Old 29-01-2018, 08:32   #29

Boat: Dufour Safari 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palarran View Post
So, what is there to see in these historic cities now?
Certainly one will not find ancient ruins as one would in the old world, however there is plenty of history to be seen on the great lakes. I was doing a fair amount of work up in Toronto for a year or two and I would explore on the weekends. I was pleasantly surprised at what I found. The inner harbour (See, Americans can spell correctly sometimes!!!) tour was quite interesting.

I recall that the city of Hamilton not too far away had a great aircraft museum, including a number of unique airworthy aircraft such as an Avro Lancaster. Just north of Buffalo was Fort Niagara, which was continuously occupied militarily for over three hundred years. In Buffalo itself there is a surprisingly large amount of history, even though it is a fairly recent city. The actual mouth of the Erie Canal is there, as well as a pretty decent naval museum including the USS Sulivans, as well as the site where Teddy Roosevelt was inaugurated.

There are also a number of nautical museums that are worth visiting. I can't remember the exact cities but there are some that have some pretty interesting ships such as bulk carriers, naval vessels, etc.

I haven't even talked about Chicago, but I think you get the idea.

Certainly, if you are looking for ancient history, there is little of that in North America. If however, you desire history, there is plenty. In addition to history, there are other events and things to do. I am sure that others can add substantially to what I said, but don't limit yourself. Explore and I think you will be pleasantly surprised.
ArmyDaveNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2018, 14:00   #30

Boat: MacGregor 26S

I keep my boat in Georgian Bay for last 10 years or so, keep it there till end of August and often swim on Thanksgiving (2nd Monday in October)and even later, it can be damn cold..
kazo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
great lakes, water