Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2016, 07:47   #31

Re: Great Lakes ... about special anchorages

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis.G View Post
My 2 cents: $40 for a mooring ball is highway robbery!
Yes, but a very popular place to be! It is considered by many to be the Key West of the North.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
erie bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 07:50   #32

Boat: 1993 Sabre 362 #113

Quote:

Perhaps, but better than $2.00 a foot for a dock. The season is short on the Great Lakes, businesses have to make their money in the 3 month summer season.
Dave Lochner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:15   #33

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Lochner View Post
Perhaps, but better than $2.00 a foot for a dock. The season is short on the Great Lakes, businesses have to make their money in the 3 month summer season.
Exactly Dave, and in contrast two people wishing to spend a night on the island would spend more without a boat, $28 for ferry, $16 for car, $28 for primitive camp site, comes up to $78.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
erie bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 08:41   #34

Quote:
What is the cost for the 60 boaters that can't fit in if the mooring balls are removed and it's just an anchorage?

What is the cost to the local business that looses 60 customers every weekend frequenting their establishments?

What is the cost to the local authorities having to referee anchor rage when people anchor too close to each other?

There are plenty of anchorages within 40-50miles that aren't nearly so crowded. The mooring field allows those who choose to more access to this one popular area.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2016, 14:38   #35

Boat: H36

Put in bay buoy is a lot cheaper than a dock. If you don't show up early both are full. Not very many safe anchorages on Lake Erie.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailor Doug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 09:40   #36

Boat: Tanzer 29 - s/v Lady Jane

If you have a dingy to get to shore, then there are plenty of places to anchor in PIB or the immediate area. I've anchored in front of the monument several times overnight. Also, try the areas around Middle Bass. Most are a sandy bottom. Just pick an area out of the wind and settle in for the evening. The mooring balls are perfect if you don't have a dingy.

North side of Kelleys is good anchorage for lunch. Been in there at night, and the wind always seems to clock around from the North. I'm sure it doesn't always, but it has every time I've anchored there. Great place to stop for lunch and a dip though.

As for the so called "special anchorage" at CP, there's nothing special about it except for on the charts. It's a lousy place to anchor. Very confined and exposed to the wind. It's just not exposed to the fetch of the lake and bay. I wouldn't want to be there if my anchor were dragging or if the wind shifted directions. Actually, anchoring in the bay would be more preferable. A person could easy dingy in from the bay and tie up along the wall without a care from anyone at CP. There's rarely ever anyone down at that end of the marina. And if you wanted to dock you would just pay for the length of the dingy.

What CP does discourage is coming up on the beach after you anchor out. I've had several life guards come over and tell me I couldn't wade in the surf. I have to remind them that in the state of Ohio I can't be on the beach, but I can be in the water because they don't own that. I don't be an a--hole about it, I try to be informative instead. It's OK that they don't this the first time. I think they're just trying to avoid any liability if something bad happens.

JerryA
JerryA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 12:06   #37

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)

JerryA:

Are you certain about the fetxh and such?

The special anchorage is completely surrounded by a raised, vegetated breakwall, with an overlapping entrance.

If I remember right, the newest Pilot book uses NAD83 to described the boundaries, and those boundaries lie completely within the breakwall.

John
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2016, 13:15   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
JerryA:

Are you certain about the fetxh and such?

The special anchorage is completely surrounded by a raised, vegetated breakwall, with an overlapping entrance.

If I remember right, the newest Pilot book uses NAD83 to described the boundaries, and those boundaries lie completely within the breakwall.

John
John,

You won't experience the fetch, but you will experience the wind. On two sides you have a short break wall with bushy vegetation. The third side is a parking lot open all the way to the Lake. Of course the fourth side is the marina. It's not a very big area either. Especially small if you are in there with other boats and the wind direction changes overnight. The borders are all stone or concrete fiberglass shredders. It makes sense that anchor lights are not required. No one is going to be traveling through this area at night.

JerryA
Old 20-03-2016, 14:30   #39

JerryA:

it sounds like you've anchored there ...

if so ... I'm envious ... even if it's not such a "special", anchorage

I have NEVER anchored out. I have stayed one night on a ball at PIB, but stayed in the cockpit watching the goings-on at Stone Lab.

I really would like to get some overnight anchoring done before I take any sort of longer term cruise, and CP looked like it might be a nice training spot for me ... to see if anchoring out is for me.

John
Old 20-03-2016, 19:15   #40

I have anchored there during the day. A windy day. Your first night on the hook is likely to keep you up. But it gets easier every time. I usually take a few compass sightings on lights or objects you will be able to see in the dark. Then I can check at night if I think l'm dragging. It can be a little disorienting if the wind changes direction. If you have a smartphone, download one of the free anchor alarm apps. You can set an alarm to alert you if you drag outside your set distance. If you are looking for a spot to try, take a look at the area between Johnson Island and Bay Point in Sandusky Bay. About 10-12 feet deep, sandy bottom and fairly protected.

JerryA
Old 21-03-2016, 03:53   #41

Thanks

I've looked at that same place quite a few times and it does look good, but upon visiting the Civil War cemetery, I was told that the very rich residents can be tough to deal with and didn't like all the mainland folk ... the more "simple", folk coming onto their island ... I would hope anchoring off Johnston's island wouldn't bother the islanders to the point of calling the CG to check out this "vagabond" ...

These islanders actually wanted the state to take over ALL maintenance of the roadway and bridge(with our public money), while retaining the right to charge a toll to visit the cemetery.

There! Now I get back into the main "special", aspect of a special anchorage, and that is, it should be a place where I can expect to anchor without being harassed ... for actually anchoring.

Tags
anchor, anchorages, great lakes