Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2016, 22:52   #1

Boat: Various Cruising Dinghies
False Ducks, Timber Island and Pigeon Island.

Hey guys, just looking for local knowledge, Eastern Lake Ontario.

Does any one know if there is a safe anchorage for a 35 ft boat, 5ft draft adjacent to False Duck, Timber Island or Pigeon Island?

I am solo sailing the first two weeks of September and would like to visit each location.

I have good ground tackle, but my electric windlass is busted, so less than 20 feet of water is good. I have no depth sounder but I do have a good lead line.

I would also like to know if there is anything worth seeing at the meteor crater SW of Wolfe Island.
Ungvar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 05:18   #2

Boat: Rafiki 37
Re: False Ducks, Timber Island and Pigeon Island.

I just passed that way ungavar. Didn't even consider anchoring near False Duck or Timber. Looks untenable to me, except in guaranteed benign conditions. Can't find Pigeon. I wouln't do it, especially since Wapoos and the whole bay offers such good anchoring.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 09-08-2016, 06:00   #3

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

No way.

Use Google earth and you'll see that there is no anchorage at all.

Don't even go into that area if you don't know it. There are shoals all over and even the best depth sounder in the world won't help you.

With a 5' draft you MIGHT get into Fisherman's Cove (now called Long Point Harbor) but I wouldn't try it; it's 5' at best right now and the approach probably doesn't have range markers anymore.

The impact crater you refer to is Charity Shoal, an area you must also be wary of.

In all, the places you mentioned have no protection, a rock bottom, and shoals. Stay away! Try Schoolhouse Bay on Main Duck if you're feeling adventurous.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 07:11   #4

Thanks guys, I know there are no good Anchorage's at these locations, a quick look at Active Captain told me that.

I also know there are light houses on each of these islands, which means the Coast Guatd gets men ashore in 40' work barges.

I'm hoping to find some one who knows how to do it, because I know it can be done. Maybe I should be talking to the local dive operators.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:11   #5

Agreed. There are plenty of good anchorages in the area. The places you mention are not. Get a hold f some charts, or go online to waterwaygude.com where you can see digital charts.

Main Duck ... I missed getting out there so far (poor conditions). Charts and guide books say the dock in Schoolhouse Bay is less than 5' deep. Some friends say we could get in there with our 6' draught, but I'm doubtful. I'd anchor in the bay if/when I get out there.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
I'm hoping to find some one who knows how to do it, because I know it can be done. Maybe I should be talking to the local dive operators.

In benign conditions anyplace is possible. I've anchored in the middle of Lake St. Clair, miles from any protection, when no wind was predicted. Still not what I would call an anchorage.

Why are you so bent on being there when you could be around the corner in Wapoos area? It's a short dingy ride.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:36   #7

I'm local to the general area and I've been to most of nice islands in the area, also my Dad was in the wind generation busines. Years ago we headed out in a small boat to put test equipment on these islands. We couldn't complete the job because weather conditions were to severe for our 18' open boat.

My Dad died a few months ago, so I thought it would be nice to complete the trip. My problem is, I don't know the best place to anchor, a review of the chart shows there isn't an obvious spot, but at the same time, I am certain I am not the first person to anchor off these islands, so somebody, somewhere knows the best place to anchor.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:39   #8

Answering the question "what if I just had to do this?" I looked at Google Earth and found a place called "Ducks Dive Shop" on the peninsula on Long Point Rd.

There is a manmade harbor, and a photo of a tug in the harbor- meaning you should be able to get a sailboat in there. From there it's 3km to Timber, a short dingy ride.

Do you have a dingy and motor?

Contact info for Ducks Dive Shop Ducks Dive: Pt Traverse, Prince Edward County Ontario Canada, Shipwreck Diving

Here is a cruising guide to the area Prince Edward Bay Cruising Guide - Long Point, Point Traverse, Prince Edward Bay, South Bay, Long Point Harbour, Long Point Harbor, Little Bluffs

Here is some info on Main Duck. I don't recall the dock being that shallow, but there is plenty of water in the channel and bay for a 5' draft. Just make sure you stay in the channel!!!!!!!!
MAIN DUCK ISLAND CRUISING GUIDE

Chuck
Old 09-08-2016, 07:48   #9

Thanks Tet, I was reviewing that Anchorage on Long Point and considering that as an option for Timber and False Duck. My dinghy doesn't have a motor, but it's got oars and a good sail, so same difference, False Duck is only about 5 miles across open water from there, so should be doable.
Old 09-08-2016, 07:59   #10

Sorry to hear about your dad. Certainly, the memories are a good motivator. Still, the area is dangerous, and I'd advise going with a local in a boat that has a motor. I recall reading a story of an early sailor who made it to False Duck in his rowboat after the ship sank, only to freeze to death because he couldn't row against the waves.

Don't take this trip lightly even though it's close to shore. Here's a list of the wrecks in that area Search results for "false duck" - Google Search

Chuck
Old 09-08-2016, 08:38   #11

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

I'm a local.

Timber island is an incredible nature preserve, donated by the family who used to live there. I believe there are still abandoned houses there. Its looks to be incredible. If you have good ground tackle, you can anchor on a small shelf on the NE side. But it is very open. DO NOT OVERNIGHT. If conditions are fair, you could anchor to visit the island. But honestly, its a bad idea.

False ducks...forget it.

Pigeon island...forget it. Its a rock with a skeleton tower on it. If you happen to be there in a dead calm, sure. But that does not happen here. I considered hiding an impossible geocache there.

The place you want to go is MAIN DUCK. Provided the wind is S or W, and NOT N or E, there are several good anchorages there. The island is a national park, with paths, and very interesting to explore. For more info, check out my geocaches hidden there...full coords, pictures, and stories of those who have visited.

If I were an escaped convict, I would take a small boat to Timber Island.

Have a good trip, and PM me if you would like more details about main duck

https://coord.info/GC1VN8Z

https://youtu.be/08FL0K1OgJw
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2016, 09:11   #12

Thanks Ham, I will be using Main Duck Island for my base of operations for this trip. I'm not looking to overnight on the 3 islands mentioned, just a glass of wine and a pipe on each.

Great tip on the shelf on Timber, I found it on the chart, looks great for a SW. From there I'm only a mile and a half Dinghy Sail to False Duck if I can't get the hook to bite there.

I'll be cruising the area for 4 or 5 days, so I'm hoping I can pick a weather window for Pigeon, which I notice is so small and far enough out it doesn't even appear on Google maps. I'm wondering if I can some how beach or anchor very close to shore on the leeward side of the island. Looks rocky as heck though.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:44   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ungvar View Post
I'll be cruising the area for 4 or 5 days, so I'm hoping I can pick a weather window for Pigeon, which I notice is so small and far enough out it doesn't even appear on Google maps. I'm wondering if I can some how beach or anchor very close to shore on the leeward side of the island. Looks rocky as heck though.
Pigeon is just a low rock, often awash, with a skeleton tower on it. Usually its maybe 40' across with a rocky shore and lots of guano. There will be no lee there.

The prevailing wind here is SW. It usually starts up around noon, and blows hard all afternoon. If you are there early morning, you may have a chance.

Good luck.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:49   #14

A place you really want to go is Big Sandy Bay, at the SW tip of Wolfe Island. If the wind is N or E, its perfect...plenty of lee, clean sandy bottom, a really wonderful place to visit by boat. But don't get caught there with a big S, SW, or W...you'll end up on shore.

N and E wind usually comes along with a storm, so if you are looking for a place to hide and wait it out, BSB is perfect.
Old 09-08-2016, 09:55   #15

Boat: Albin 25

Be aware that the water level is several feet below chart levels this season.
Sunsetrider is offline   Reply With Quote