Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2011, 19:16   #1

Cruising Through the Great Lakes

My wife and I are reoutfitting a large trimaran here in Thunder Bay, Ontario. The boat is very spaceous with high headroom. We will be ready to leave around the first week of July. We will be going thru the great lakes, down the St Lowerance and then down the ICW. I am looking 1 or 2 skilled sailors that would want to join us on all or part of our journey. Dan
tri-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 10:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Cruising Thru The Great Lakes

I expect your departure date has been postponed somewhat. When do you now hope to depart (August?)?

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 08:09   #3

Re: Cruising thru the Great Lakes

Yeh Gordon we are getting the boat in the water a little later than planned. Right now we are schedule to put the boat in the water on aug. 10. then we will have about a week to shake the boat down. then we will be ready to sail. We are still hoping to find one or two people who are familiar with Great Lakes sailing to join us.
Old 24-07-2011, 08:38   #4
cruiser

Boat: Dufour 34, 1975
Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor
Re: Cruising Through the Great Lakes

Might I ask why you're going to do the St. Lawrence route? Leaving as late as you are, the weather is going to be a bit difficult on the east coast if you're delayed and with a new boat, delays are to be expected.
Far more sensible, imo, to do the Great Lakes to Tonowanda and into the Erie Canal to the Hudson and then to the ICW as you'd originally planned according to another post. The route you're planning is easily double the distance.
Factor into this your experience - which I can't speak to, but from the sounds of your other posts, you're fairly new to cruising. If this is your first major trip, why make it that much more difficult? As for advice sailing the Lakes, feel free to ask questions. Lots of people here with answers. I'm a Cruising Editor for Waterway Guides, so if I can help, let me know.
canucksailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2011, 10:39   #5

the beam on our tri is 26ft wide. from what I understand it would be to tight of a fit in certain stretches of the canal. Any info you have concerning this would be very helpful.
Old 24-07-2011, 12:26   #6
cruiser

Send a message via Yahoo to canucksailor Send a message via Skype™ to canucksailor

Quote:
Between 1903 and 1918, the State again enlarged the canal by the construction of what was termed the "Barge Canal", these locks of today are 328 feet long and 45 feet wide, with a depth of 12 feet of water over the mitre-sills, and can accomodate vessels 300 feet long and 43.5 feet wide. See the Canal Profile for the height and location of the current locks.
This comes from Erie Canal - Locks. You'll be fine with the tri, lots of room...
Old 25-07-2011, 09:56   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

He's cruising an all electric boat, and probably doesn't have the elect' power for days of motoring.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2011, 16:54   #8
cruiser

this tri is electric? Then he'd better get a good outboard and a solid mount because, and I don't care which way he goes, he's gonna need to motor some.
Electric is fine, a friend of mine just outfitted the identical boat to mine with it - but he admits he could never do what I do, it's a weekender's boat.
Old 27-07-2011, 09:53   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

I second the thought of using the canal vs the seaway. I once considered traversing the seaway but after doing the due diligence I changed my mind.

I wish we could help you deliver the boat to the coast, but my wife and I are booked until next spring. I do have experience with Lake Erie and would be glad to help you in any way that I can. You can PM me if you want my contact information.

Have fun and fair winds!
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, great lakes