Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Destinations > Great Lakes
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 19:34   #1

Boat: Will be a 50' Cat
Champlain or Erie when Doing the Loop ?

In order to win over my somewhat reluctant crew to the merits of cruising, was thinking our first adventure would be to do the Great Loop in North America. This should be a really easy introduction to the life style... I have two questions for you fine folks...

1) She would like to see Quebec, so I was thinking of heading on north from the Hudson via the Champlain Canal, but I have read somewhere that the Erie is a must see... does anyone have thoughts on which is a more interesting / scenic route?

2) As our (well, my) ultimate goal is to cruise more widely, we plan to get an Orana 44, so I know I will have to leave the Mast in Florida, but will the 24' beam be a big issue ? Will there be places to anchor out? Some of those canels look pretty narrow...

Thanks for any thoughts / advice...

Cheers
capcook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 19:54   #2

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown
Quote:
Originally Posted by capcook View Post
In order to win over my somewhat reluctant crew to the merits of cruising, was thinking our first adventure would be to do the Great Loop in North America. This should be a really easy introduction to the life style... I have two questions for you fine folks...

1) She would like to see Quebec, so I was thinking of heading on north from the Hudson via the Champlain Canal, but I have read somewhere that the Erie is a must see... does anyone have thoughts on which is a more interesting / scenic route?

2) As our (well, my) ultimate goal is to cruise more widely, we plan to get an Orana 44, so I know I will have to leave the Mast in Florida, but will the 24' beam be a big issue ? Will there be places to anchor out? Some of those canels look pretty narrow...

Thanks for any thoughts / advice...

Cheers
Going to have to go through Lake Ontario to get to Lake Erie. Unless you plan to cruise down I-90.

Ontario and Erie can get pretty rough, so if your reluctant crew is your family, they might not like it too much.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 19:56   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
Going to have to go through Lake Ontario to get to Lake Erie. Unless you plan to cruise down I-90.

Ontario and Erie can get pretty rough, so if your reluctant crew is your family, they might not like it too much.
CRAP... never mind you meant the erie canal... DOH!

It is beautiful, but it will take you awhile. Lots of waiting for locks, etc. Kind of like taking the country roads.
Old 07-12-2010, 19:58   #4

Boat: C&C 27 mkI
I think that he means the Erie barge canal, not Lake Erie.
hard aground is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 19:58   #5

Also the max width for the canals is 44ft.

Here is a link to help. PASAGING THE OSWEGO/ERIE CANAL
Old 07-12-2010, 20:55   #6

Boat: Georgian 23 Whiskeyjack
the loop is all about turning left if you are going counter clockwise via the Erie canal, and if you want to see Quebec, you are gonna have to make one heck of a detour to the right. But, having said that, the 1000 islands is some VERY pretty cruising country. You might want to take the Champlain up to Quebec, then thurn left and travel through the 1000 islands, then take the Erie canal from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, rather than the Welland canal. Lenghtens the trip, but you get to see everything.
bljones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 10:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bljones View Post
take the Champlain up to Quebec, then thurn left and travel through the 1000 islands, then take the Erie canal from Lake Ontario to Lake Erie, rather than the Welland canal. Lenghtens the trip, but you get to see everything.
That sounds like a great idea... I will go figure if we have enough time... do you know if there is ample space along those canals to anchor over night without getting hit... some of the pics I have they look pretty long narrow and straight...

Thanks
Old 11-01-2011, 07:51   #8

Boat: Whitby 42 - Esmeralda II
No problem either ways

I have done Champlain to NYC leaving from Canada. No problem anchoring and finding places to dock along the way. I have also cruised the 1000 Islands and the St-Lawrence seaway, the Lake Ontario and it is beautiful. When you say you want to visit Québec, do you mean Québec City or the province of Québec? Québec City is a long ride from Sorel, on the St-Lawrence where it meets the Richelieu river to Champlain. There are many anchorages and marinas along the way but the tide has to be observed to optimize your trip. From Sorel to 1000 Islands and Lake Ontario is a nice trip with large locks and some waiting time as well. Once passed the Iroquois lock you are free to cruise the 1000 Islands and Kingston area before crossing Lake Ontario. You can stop half way through the lake at Main Duck Island to reach Oswego. Yes it can be rough, but it can also be a good trial for your boat if you plan to sail on the ocean in future.
Old 11-01-2011, 16:09   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
I have done Champlain to NYC leaving from Canada. .
Thanks Roland... I understand there is no way you can do this in a 24' wide Catamaran Sail Boat.... I think I saw one lock that is only 21' wide ? Are there any low fixed bridges along that route ?

Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 14:58   #10

Bridges + 24' beam

There are many fix bridges and you have to bring down the mast at Catskill NY going up the Hudson to Lake Champlain. There are marinas along the way to put the mast up and down. Now regarding the beam, I would suggest you consult a guide book, I never had to face that problem, maybe the Active captain would have that information? There is a book called Cruising Guide to the New York Waterways and Lake Champlain, which covers the Oswego - Erie canal as well.
Old 18-01-2011, 18:18   #11

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
I believe I remember the locks were 40 feet wide. We were in the locks this spring/early summer one of the vessels ahead of us was a huge wide catamaran that appeared to be wider than 24 feet. The publications mentioned above should provide you with the information regarding width.
Fair Winds
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2011, 18:20   #12

Boat: Saugeen Witch, Colvin design vessel name: Witchcraft
This link should provide with much information The New York State Canal System - Erie, Champlain, Oswego and Cayuga Seneca Canals

Cheers
witchcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2011, 19:13   #13

Just got my cruising guide to NY Waterways & Lake Champlain... apparently there is no way to avoid the 9 locks north of Lake Champlain along the Richelieu River and Chambly Canal that you need to pass through and which are only 22.5 ft wide... the CAT I want to use is 24 ft wide... Rats... looks like if I want to go to Quebec and Montreal I will have to go around the outside and down the St. Lawrence... Guess they were not anticipating 24' wide Catamarans back in the 1800's when they built those things...

Cheers
Old 11-02-2011, 10:15   #14

Going around the outside and down the St-Lawrence

If you mean by around the outside and down St-Lawrence, being the route via Nova Scottia and Gaspesie, there is the shorter way via the Hudson river, Erie and Oswego canals, lake Ontario and the St-Lawrence. Figure it is approx 15 days from New York to Kingston Ontario. From Kingston to Montreal figure an other 3-4 days.
Old 11-02-2011, 16:48   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolandgilbert99 View Post
If you mean by around the outside and down St-Lawrence, being the route via Nova Scottia and Gaspesie, there is the shorter way via the Hudson river, Erie and Oswego canals, lake Ontario and the St-Lawrence. Figure it is approx 15 days from New York to Kingston Ontario. From Kingston to Montreal figure an other 3-4 days.
Roland,

Thanks... I am assuming the 18-19 days is just moving during daylight hrs since the locks would not operate after dark... any idea what it costs to have the mast removed and replaced ?

Thanks