Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-07-2008, 11:00   #1

Best of Great Lakes?

It´s 5 lakes? Where should i go? What to not miss? Any idéeas?

Maybe we will stay a summer around, with a start at Toronto(probably)?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 11:22   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
It's 5 very big lakes in two countries. Having seen them all but not all of them totally I think they really are are all different with attractions of all kinds. Big cities like Toronto and Montreal are close but Chicago is even bigger. Special places like Isle Royal on Lake Superior are very unique in the world.

I think starting in Toronto would be a great idea. You really can't see all of them in one summer. Spending a whole summer would be well worth the time and I'm sure you can find a lot of things to do and see.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 11:32   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Forget the "Great Lakes" head for Georgian Bay and the North Channel! You won't regret it!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 11:55   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Forget the "Great Lakes" head for Georgian Bay and the North Channel! You won't regret it!
Is not Georgian Bay one of the Great Lakes? In lake Huron?

I could not find the North channel on the map?
Old 21-07-2008, 12:03   #5
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
Is not Georgian Bay one of the Great Lakes? I could not find the North channel on the map?
Nope, it's not.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	georgian bay.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	359.1 KB
ID:	4404  
Old 21-07-2008, 12:08   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Is not Georgian Bay one of the Great Lakes? In lake Huron...
You're right, as "knotty" Rick's map indicates, Georgian Bay & the North Chanel are adjuncts of Lake Huron.
Both wonderful places, much easier to reach than Lake Superior's (even finer) North Shore.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 14:24   #7

Aha....now i see...it looks very nice. Where can i find some pics from the area do you think. I will take a look at Aerial Photography of Marinas, Lighthouses, Ports, Restaurants, and more. Purchase framed marine images. but if you know any good site?

How is the water, is it dirty?

If you go south in some of the lakes, for how long time in the autumn can you stay "in" the boat and when is it ok to come to the lakes in the spring?

As you understund this is new for me and i want to learn so much as possible, do you recomend any good books? or homepages about the area.

"outside the Thread" I have many relatives in Canada, my grandfathers younger brothers moved to canada in early 1930? how can i find them...
Old 21-07-2008, 14:51   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Lake Ontario is the best place to sail of course. After all Toronto is the hub of Canada and all your relatives are probably right here within shouting distance of the CN Tower.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TorontoJune05 009.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	268.4 KB
ID:	4405  
Old 21-07-2008, 15:01   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
If you go south in some of the lakes, for how long time in the autumn can you stay "in" the boat and when is it ok to come to the lakes in the spring?
Late May through September with some allowances for the more northern vs. the more southern ends. You may also lose some days just from weather systems from the far north. It can shift the season by a few weeks on either end. In the far NW of Lake Superior early early June is not always without cold weather. Lake Superior is interesting since the summer water temperature isn't much warmer than the winter. It has that much water in it. Erie and Ontario are the shallowest lakes and warm up well for swimming.

You should be able to find a lot of information about the areas as they include a large population and a very long history. You can see rocky coastlines and extremely tall white sand dunes. Some of the oldest exposed granite in the world as well as beautiful wetlands. East to west is 750 nm and north to south is 450 nm. The area is large enough to create it's own weather.

You can get a lot of tourist information from the Canada provinces of Quebec and Ontario as well as the Atlantic islands. In the US the states of New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Illinois, Wisconsin, and Minnesota all border lakes and have facilities. There are a series of US federal and Canadian federal parks areas adjacent to the lakes in various parts too. Google any of the lakes by name to get more info than you can read. All of the major cities have marinas and other facilities very popular in the summer. Boats are hauled out in the winter due to ice. Winter temperatures very a greatly deal north to south.

With a large Cat you will draw attention and probably be popular. Oh well could be worse. We do have a fair number of Great Lakes sailors on the board so I know as you get an idea of the places you might be interested in you can get some more local advice. There could be more than 10,000 places to see. Plenty of good fresh water fish to catch and no jelly fish.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 15:14   #10

Pblais: Thank you for all information.

Vasco: That must be very beutiful in reality... And i promise you to sail in lake ontario.
Old 21-07-2008, 15:17   #11

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
freetime,

That photo was taken from my boat anchored in a secluded cove right in the middle of Toronto. It really is a beautiful spot, but only in summer. But coming from Sweden you might appreciate the cooler ten months of the year.
Old 21-07-2008, 15:22   #12

Boat: Looking with intent
Paul,

You forgot to mention Michigan which is within the Lakes themselves (Lakes Michigan, Huron, Erie, and Superior). Has some very good facilities in many different areas. Have fun. Depending on when you get there and such the sailing season depends strongly on the Jet Stream and what weather system come down from the North. It can last in some places until late October.

This is from seven and half years sailing on Saginaw bay and the Michigan side of Huron (never got to sail across to thunder bay). The Islands near the bridge (the Mackinaw) are very beautiful and is the best hotel room for visiting the fort for more than one day (the island hotel is very pricey). There is a smaller thunder bay on the Michigan side of Huron but is not the same as the one on the Canadian side.

Have fun and enjoy.

Michael
Old 21-07-2008, 18:58   #13
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
How is the water, is it dirty?
Georgian Bay, at one time, was the cleanest of the lakes. We (Cdn Coast Guard) used to pump our fresh water tanks full right from the lake. Don't know if you can do that now.

A good program for photos is Google Earth.

Google Earth
Old 21-07-2008, 20:23   #14

relocating

hello all, i am fairly new to this site, and often lurk through the threads, some very interesting thoughts to be had.
this might be directed at gord may, who resides in thunder bay.
i have lived (and sailed) in british columbia for most of my life. travelled across canada by car several times, and lived in ontario when i was younger. i LOVE the great lakes (mmmm fresh water), in particular, huron and superior.
i have become disheartened with b c. the hype, the land and house prices are through the roof, everybody wants to be on the west coast, how little they truly know, it's a very expensive place to live, and the climate sucks. although it is beautiful, so are many other places i've been. i can no longer justify the expense to remain here.
i have lately been toying with the idea of moving back to ontario, perhaps somewhere along the north shore of superior, (nipigon?)...or the north shore of huron, (blind river, spanish)?
my question is, how do all the boaters handle the seasons out there.
i have a nonsuch 30, and would probably have her trucked to thunder bay. i am not familiar with the yearly rituals involving take out and put in. is it expensive? do marinas do it as part of the fee? could i sail from thunder bay to huron easily, if that was to be home?
any and all input is much appreciated. just in the planning stage right now, but it's looking better all the time.
onanonsuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2008, 21:33   #15

Boat: Beneteau 36
Group :

Just two words..."Erie Islands".

http://www.putinbay.com/

http://www.putinbayphotos.com/

http://www.putinbayphotos.com/panorama/gibraltarHarborPan.html

http://www.kelleysisland.com/

http://www.mbiyc.com/
Paul Ouellette is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags