Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-07-2008, 06:54   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Nothing quite like 8 footers with a 4 second period to test your rigging and fillings.
We have those here too but with extra salt.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 07:34   #47

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
The depth issue is a real one, but no more so than anywhere else in the world. Each lake has its holes and shallows. Holes in Superior are 1200', Michigan over 600', Erie is much shallower but still has a large sailing fraternity. That is what charts are for.

The winner of the Chicago to Mackinac race this year, Genuine Risk, draws about 17'. I just heard that she is on her way to Long Island through Huron, Erie, Ontario, and the St. Lawrence. They may have a problem with some sites, but my guess is that they have a plan to get this beauty there safely.
Old 24-07-2008, 07:38   #48
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomdidit View Post
The winner of the Chicago to Mackinac race this year, Genuine Risk, draws about 17'. I just heard that she is on her way to Long Island through Huron, Erie, Ontario, and the St. Lawrence. They may have a problem with some sites, but my guess is that they have a plan to get this beauty there safely.
No problem. Controlled depth in the St. Lawrence Seaway including the Welland Canal is 26'. She may have some height clearance issues if her mast is a biggun'!
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-07-2008, 07:51   #49

Boat: Catalina 34MKII
The luff on her main is over 110', so she is a biggun. Don't want to crack that carbon fibre.
Old 25-07-2008, 12:20   #50

An extra question. Which way is best TO Great Lakes FROM Florida? With or without mast up. And just a first idea about how long time it should take?
freetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 12:50   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by freetime View Post
An extra question. Which way is best TO Great Lakes FROM Florida? With or without mast up. And just a first idea about how long time it should take?
I just love the “bonus round”.
  • About 2 hours by Air Canada.
  • About 2 months by AICW, the last week or so (NY State canals) /w mast down.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 13:09   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Searunner 40 Trimaran, Siruis 22 mono, 16 foot MFG daysailor
freetime
One thing to think about when you are looking for a boat. I would concentrate on finding a boat in the Great Lakes area if you are considering a used boat. The season is shorter and the water fresh. All things that make for less wear and tear. Blister problems are less common and even older boats can be in very good shape. There are alot of boats here so you should be able to find something you like.

Patrick, age 9
Steve Rust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2008, 14:04   #53

Gord, Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. What time on the year is this way nice, or is it only heavy trafic on the intracoastal way.

Steve, If the price is veeery good in florida and i can find time for the trip. But the fresh water, is worth alote. And the season is like in sweden, most of the boats are on land from oct-april.
Old 25-07-2008, 16:31   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Driving ('cause it's NOT sailing) the AICW is a lot like freeway crawling in first gear.
Notwithstanding, there is so much to see and do along the Intracoastal, that many people spend YEARS happily cruising up and down, with the seasons.
It can be what you make of it - a long boring delivery, or an enjoyable interesting cruise.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2008, 13:59   #55

And the season on AICW is? When should i go this route?
Old 26-07-2008, 18:40   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I would try and be in New York by late May to June 1st. From there you are about 5 days to Lake Ontario or about 7 days to Lake Erie. Leave Florida around early to mid April working your way north as the weather warms up.

Patrick, age 9
Old 26-07-2008, 19:18   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I would agree with Steve. That is about the best case scenario for weather. The cold air from the north pole still can spill over even June 1st. It can take on most of the east coast. Sometime after that things tend to sort out for summer. Virginia in April (late) can be good days or blowing hard and cold and not where you are headed. May would be more reasonable here. the slow trip north in mid April does work. Can also be pretty with spring blooms and bird migrations too. After June starts hurricane season begins so you need to be gone from Florida well before that or you start to miss out.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2008, 00:25   #58

Ok perfect!

And can you sail from Florida in late may to New York? Is it only one way from NY to Great Lakes..
Old 27-07-2008, 09:33   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Like Pblais says my time frame may be a best case scenario. You pick a rough time frame and then watch the weather. Depending on the year it can vary by one or two weeks. One year we had ice floating around the Apostle Islands on the last weekend in May. A year later it might be 80 degrees.

The New York, Hudson River, Erie Canal route is the quickest way into the Great Lakes but is not the only one. You can continue north on the Hudson River to Lake Champlain then to the Richelieu River. This puts you just north of Montreal on the St Lawrence River. Of course there is the route around the Atlantic Provinces into the mouth of the St Lawrence. If your goal is to cruise the Great Lakes this route is really impractical due to the extra distance you have to travel. It could be a viable route out of the Lakes and back to Sweden though. IMO the Erie route is best. You can hang a right after Lake Oneida on the canal and take the Oswego canal to Lake Ontario or stay in the Erie all the way to Buffalo. You can bypass Lake Erie by taking the Trent Sevren Canal from Lake Ontario to Lake Huron. This one may have size limitations due to one lock being a type of elevator so best to check first. So there are different route possibilities so you can cover some new ground going in and out.

Patrick, age 9
Old 27-07-2008, 13:42   #60

Ok, all information i need...i think. I will take a closer look at the map with all your info...thanks.

Tags
great lakes