Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2017, 13:14   #1

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41
Yanmar 1GM10

I'm selling a Yanmar 1GM10 with transmission and instrument panel. $850 obo. Located in Deale, Maryland.

It runs... Sort of.

If you can get it started and up to temperature, it runs like a champ, but it has almost no compression and absolutely refuses to start if the ambient air/water temperature is below about 75° F.

I'm pretty sure the alternator is not functioning, but I never really bothered to test it, as I only used the engine to make the boat go...

I'll put it on a pallet for shipping via freight line, with the buyer to pay shipping charges, or you can pick it up.

If it doesn't sell in the next month or so, I'll haul it to my workshop, fix it, and then sell it - and then obviously charge more for a good running engine - but I'd rather sell it to someone who's willing to do the work themselves.

I've spoken with a lot of diesel mechanics, including certified Yanmar guys, and there's no real consensus on what could be wrong. The most expensive possibility (which most of the mechanics do *not* think is the problem) is that it needs a new cylinder head - about a $550 part, but that's also the least amount of time to fix. Most mechanics seem to think that it's going to be some combination of rings, piston rod, or even simply rebedding the valves...

Anyway, if you're interested, let me know.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2017, 05:40   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat
Re: Yanmar 1GM10

I am running the east coast next month atleast 1 time in my truck and could pickup and deliver n to CT or back to FL
Old 27-04-2017, 21:41   #3

I'd be interested in the instrument panel if you end up wanting to part it out. I need an upgraded panel with a tach.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 07:47   #4

contact me when you fix it
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 13:15   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwilletts View Post
contact me when you fix it
Warning: you might be waiting a while. I thought I'd be able to get to it in May or June, but things come up, and I'm now at July before I'll be and to have a shot at it.

If you want to make an offer for it as is, go ahead, I might just take it.

I'll try and take some pictures this weekend if I get out to the marina (but realistically it will be next weekend). I'd also be willing to think about a creative "escrow" where I take some of the risk if it turns out to be a higher dollar repair...
Old 03-05-2017, 13:43   #6

I'm still interested in the panel. I'll swap you mine plus cash for yours.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 07:56   #7

Bump - I'll pull the asking price down to $750, and listen to offers - I really don't have the time to make this solid little engine become a reliable solid little engine again.

In addition to the instrument panel I will also throw in the morse marine single lever side engine control and cables.

I won't be able to ship until the first week in June, but I could arrange pick-up at the marina (Deale, MD) for you anytime.

@TooCoys - Sorry, I really don't want to separate the panel from the engine..
Old 22-09-2017, 10:15   #8

any change in this ??
pwilletts is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1gm10, yanmar