Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-11-2019, 05:34   #1

Boat: Bavaria 37 CR
want to buy Sailrite LSZ 1

Hello,

I am looking for a Sailrite LSZ 1. Like to have the Premium, but looking for everyone.

Problem, I am living in germany, so need somebody how is willing to sent to me.

Looking forward to announcements
sorry for my pure english

kind regards
paulemeier
paulemeier1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 06:03   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
want to buy Sailrite LSZ 1

We just put ours into storage yesterday.
But shipping to Germany would have to be insanely expensive, it has to weigh at least 20kg, probably more, about like a small engine block

The shipping cost would I assume eat up any saving you would get by buying used, are they imported at all?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 06:13   #3

Re: want to buy Sailrite LSZ 1

thanks for your reply a64pilot,

which model do you have? Would you like to sell it? My english is pure so i maybe did not understand exactly what you mean by storage. it have an underline, is this an forum here? ore did you mean you put it into Winter storage to use it by yourself next year?

if I could find someone who sell it, i will have a look at different shipping fee. there are some opportunities

regards
paulemeier
Old 20-11-2019, 06:57   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In truth I’m not sure of the model, but it was or is their best, and I called them and went with their advice and got every little add on they recommended, extra thread, bobbins etc.

But I don’t think we will sell at this time, I put it in storage to lighten our load, we have been accumulating “stuff” for the last couple of years and I went through with the idea of if we haven’t used it in the last year, it needs to be removed.
I didn’t do that with spares though, but after awhile you end up with so much stuff you need to either remove some of it, or get a bigger boat.

It’s this one, and another issue you may want to consider is that machines made for the US , are 110V machines and that would require a transformer or a different motor adding cost, you may want to try to find a 220V machine.
https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Ul...Sewing-Machine
It may also be that Sailrite can have one shipped or you much cheaper than you can, or they may have an European Dealer?
Old 20-11-2019, 07:12   #5

thanks for your reply,

its just the model I am looking for....

but you are right, the 110V is a Problem, but I have another sewing machine with an complete table with engine unter desk. so i can use that motor

i am looking to buy a used one to safe some money.... maybe it works.

thanks for the links, I now them.

but maybe someone did`t want his sailrite.....

regards
paulemeier
Old 20-11-2019, 08:27   #6

Paul:

If you have another sewing machine already, what, precisely, are the features of the LSZ1 that makes it more desirable than the machine you have? What is it you wish to use the LSZ1 for?

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 08:32   #7

planing to sew new canvas. My sewing machine have no walking foot. there is no possibility to sew a few pieces. the thickness of the line is not enough. I want to have the opportunity to take in on board. and so on.
Old 20-11-2019, 09:07   #8

I was asking because you are in Germany. I would think that you should be able to find a used Pfaff fairly easily.

I think Pfaffs had been made in China under contract for many years before the Pfaff concern was sold to Chinese interests fairly recently. Sailrite machines are, if I'm not mistaken made in the same factory as the Pfaffs. Pfaff walking foot machines were used by sailmakers for many years, but I'll admit that I've never seen a Pfaff walking foot table top machine.

If I were you I would explore your local second-hand market.

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 10:48   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
In truth I’m not sure of the model, but it was or is their best, and I called them and went with their advice and got every little add on they recommended, extra thread, bobbins etc.

But I don’t think we will sell at this time, I put it in storage to lighten our load, we have been accumulating “stuff” for the last couple of years and I went through with the idea of if we haven’t used it in the last year, it needs to be removed.
I didn’t do that with spares though, but after awhile you end up with so much stuff you need to either remove some of it, or get a bigger boat.

It’s this one, and another issue you may want to consider is that machines made for the US , are 110V machines and that would require a transformer or a different motor adding cost, you may want to try to find a 220V machine.
https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Ul...Sewing-Machine
It may also be that Sailrite can have one shipped or you much cheaper than you can, or they may have an European Dealer?
Sailrite makes a 220v makes a LSZ-1: https://www.sailrite.com/Sailrite-Ul...Sewing-Machine

Here's info on Sailrite shipping overseas: https://www.sailrite.com/shipping-delivery
jwilkins17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 11:35   #10

Solent Sew - Sewing & Welding Solutions
KWISPEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 17:18   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Due to Sailrites claim of negotiating a large discount on overseas shipping if your determined to have a Sailrite it may actually be cheaper to buy new and have them ship it as opposed to paying less for used, but a huge shipping fee.
Old 20-11-2019, 18:12   #12

Good that you are considering the model with zig zag stitching. If you re-sell it at some point you will get almost all your money back anyway. I use zig zag stitching all the time, not just for sails.
Some question what is it about these machines. They are one of the few that are portable with a walking foot. I don't know of any other portable that you can buy new with a walking foot.
Not to mention this machine has a high presser foot allowing you to negotiate that eventual situation where you encounter a lump of many layers of fabric.
These machines were modified by Sailrite in many ways. They are semi industrial.
I have no connection with Sailrite other than I am using one. I just finished a fore deck cover for a 65 foot boat with a fifteen foot beam and it went really easy, for example.
They can take up to a 138 thread but they have the smaller bobbin and you would end up changing the bobbin more often if you used that thicker thread. Only drawback.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 18:16   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The word portable is loosely defined, it takes three men and a boy to get mine on and off of the boat.
Not quite, but it is heavy
Old 20-11-2019, 18:22   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
The word portable is loosely defined, it takes three men and a boy to get mine on and off of the boat.
Not quite, but it is heavy
Yes, almost 50 lbs with the heavy duty case.
A lot of people as you know were/are using Pfaff 130s. Even those are about 40 lbs. And they don't come close to the performance of a LSZ1.
Poche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2019, 18:49   #15

Boat: Custom Freya 20m

Living in Germany, just buy an older model Durkopp-Adler machine. Lots of them floating about there.
stillbuilding is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailrite