Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 05:20   #1

Boat: Bennett S & S 48
Transport In Annapolis

Hi All, we have just arrived in Annapolis MD from Australia to commence work on our new Purchase 48' S&S we are in desperate need of a car to undertake all the day to day stuff, does any one have or know anyone that may have a car for sale, Hire, Loan in the Annapolis area? needs to have registration & all appropriate paper work as we don't want to fall foul of the law.
Thanks in advance
Greg
Coombsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 05:24   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Transport In Annapolis

Enterprise will come pick you up and rates are roughly $40-50/day. They are on West Street. Not sure if Zip Car has made it to Annapolis yet.

I would look on Craig’s List if you’re just looking for basic transport to get you through.

I’m selling my old Honda Pilot but it’s in Oriental NC. .
Old 22-03-2019, 05:38   #3

Re: Transport In Annapolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
Enterprise will come pick you up and rates are roughly $40-50/day. They are on West Street. Not sure if Zip Car has made it to Annapolis yet.

I would look on Craig’s List if you’re just looking for basic transport to get you through.

I’m selling my old Honda Pilot but it’s in Oriental NC. .
Thanks for the info, we have looked at Craig’s list, not much on offer that is worth looking at. Cheers
Old 22-03-2019, 08:09   #4

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Welcome to town.

Enterprise is the only car suggestion I can come up with... and it depends on what the "day to day stuff" might be.

Maybe use it for a couple days, get all your supplies, return the car... rinse, wash, and repeat from time to time as necessary?

Depending on where you actually are, a cheap bicycle (or a pair, whatever) could solve a lot. If you're on Back Creek or Spa Creek, for example, Fawcett's and West Marine for boat stuff, and a major grocery are all within easy distance.

-Chris
Old 22-03-2019, 08:37   #5

Boat: L42

Just checked Enterprise for Annapolis and they have several options for just under $200 a week including all taxes.
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 08:58   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Welcome to town.

Enterprise is the only car suggestion I can come up with... and it depends on what the "day to day stuff" might be.

Maybe use it for a couple days, get all your supplies, return the car... rinse, wash, and repeat from time to time as necessary?

Depending on where you actually are, a cheap bicycle (or a pair, whatever) could solve a lot. If you're on Back Creek or Spa Creek, for example, Fawcett's and West Marine for boat stuff, and a major grocery are all within easy distance.

-Chris
Located in back creek , thanks Chris
Old 22-03-2019, 13:06   #7

Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 41

I would suggest really budgeting it out with several different options, keeping in mind that some combination will probably work best:

1. Buy (and then sell) a car. Lots of transaction hassle and cost with this, especially with insurance, registration and sales taxes.

2. Car rental by day, week, or weekend. In addition to the already mentioned enterprise, avis, hertz and budget all have locations in downtown Annapolis. Their local offices will generally pick up and drop you off if you call the local number.

3. Use uber/lyft - both generally have lots of drivers /cars in Annapolis.

4. Buy a cheap bicycle
5. Walk.

I would probably use some combination of 2-5. 4 & 5 will get you a lot further than you would at first think. Throw in an occasional no 3 and 2, and you'll probably have the best solution.
mogulskibum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 14:13   #8

You have a 48ft monohull, are you keeping it on a dock in Annapolis?- quite expensive compared to other locations. Are you going to haul out, live on the boat etc, some yards won't allow this some do, not in Annapolis though. If you have a big budget - rent a car, if not find a marina that has a courtesy car, eg Calvert Marina in Solomons Is., Georgetown Yacht Basin, or ones that are in walking/bike riding distance to Supermarkets, Shopping centrers, chandleries - eg Anchorage Marina in Baltimore - monthly dockage rates are not too bad.
Bean Counter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annapolis