Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-08-2016, 08:31   #1

Boat: Seafarer36c
Tenara thread

I bought a 1/2lb spool of #92 Tenara thread but it does not feed through the bobbin case. It's a full spool minus 2 bobbins and some test stitches, $100 + shipping.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 00:39   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Island Spirit 401 Catamaran
Re: Tenara thread

What color is it? What machine did you try it on?
Ostinato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 06:50   #3

Clear but it looks white to me. I have a Singer 306. It looks as if the machine is at it's limit on thread size for the bobbin case and I can't get the friction set right.
Old 29-08-2016, 20:33   #4

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Tenara thread needs LOTS of tension. It also must be taken off the side of the spool NOT the top because it will accumulate twists and kink.
If you can master those conditions, it's really great stuff and will last virtually forever.

BTW, I'm a Certified Bernina Sewing Machine Technician

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 21:54   #5

Boat: Tartan 37

I have some I can't get to sew right. One second everything is cool, then huge loops. I'll try it again, using a Barracuda. Do you also need to add tension to the bobbin?
puffcard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2016, 22:08   #6

There is not enough tension in the bobbin case. I didn't know about taking it off the spool from the side however I'm not going to mess with it any more. I have some UV Guard poly that sews just fine.
Old 30-08-2016, 08:42   #7

Boat: Freedom 40

The Sailrite website has some tips, including increasing bobbin tension, dropping needle size, rotating needle, and taking it off the spool horizontally.

F40 CC Ketch
Old 30-08-2016, 08:48   #8

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Yup it can be frustrating to get it running right, but once you do its fantastic stuff. Be patient and keep trying. Once I got it dialed in on my old Singer I sewed everything with it.

The sailrite tips are fantastic, however they are not gospel. I have it feeding off the top of the spool no problem. The key was to add extra tension. I do some winding around various objects and then through the bobin winder, up to the small thread roll holder, then thread as usual.
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2016, 09:28   #9

I kind of enjoy sewing, I don't like working on sewing machines and I'm in a hurry to get my projects finished. It's time to get back to the boat. I'm not going to spend time messing with this stuff. The poly thread I'm using is for convertible tops etc. so it's probably pretty good.

I'm selling the thread. I can even sell it down in the Rio Dulce. Lots of canvas work being done down in the jungle with just regular thread. Some smart gringo sailor will snap it up.
Old 30-08-2016, 16:01   #10

Boat: Cascade 36

I used Tenera in my Barracuda when I was making my dodger without too many issues. I did the thing where you place the spool several feet away (a sailrite tip I think) and I also threaded the machine a little differently.

At the part where you thread it through two of the three holes on a horizontal arm and then go down to the tensioner (all from memory is it doesn't make any sense) I threaded the Tenera through all three holes.

I don't remember doing the spool on the side thing. But I did seem to have fairly decent success with the Tenera. Maybe a skipped stitch or two every 6'-8' was about it. I don't remember having to jack with the bobbins at all.
Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote