Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-10-2021, 14:25   #1

Boat: Hylas 54
Spectra watermaker for parts or DIY

I'm retiring my Spectra 380c watermaker. Twenty years old and still makes good water (~12-14gal/hr), but the electronic salinity meter has died and Spectra doesn't make them anymore. The meter just automates the save/discard valve and the system works manually without it.

Although it's installed and working in my boat right now, I'm calling this a pile of parts, not a working watermaker. It will require some new parts to get it installed and working at a new location, hoses and valves, pre-filters, etc. A skilled DIYer can build a good WM with these components, or they can be used as spares to keep another system running.

The most valuable parts are:
Clark pump
Pressure vessel with membrane (new in April 2021)
Two 12V feed pumps
Electric relay box (one needed, I have two)
Gauges, flow meters, etc.
Maybe a few valves if they survive removal.
Printed Manual

$2000 for all of it.

Local pick up preferred, I'll be in the Annapolis area until after the boat show, then down to Solomons, MD until Nov. 1st.
jt11791 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2021, 08:58   #2

Re: Spectra watermaker for parts or DIY

Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/GkTajMSdZWRdTHiu9
Old 12-10-2021, 12:06   #3

The Clark pump, feed pumps, and accumulator are sold.

I still have the pressure vessel with new membrane and a few other dribs and drabs. Make me any reasonable offer for the part that you need and I will bring it to the boat show">Annapolis boat show this weekend.
Old 16-10-2021, 15:46   #4

All SOLD.
Old 16-10-2021, 18:13   #5
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Glad you sold it. I just wanted to jump in here and say that that unit was one of the very first electronic controlled Spectas ever built. Probably 20-25+ years old. A testament to the care it must have been shown. You're right, none of the electronics are available, but for 2k someone got a good deal because they have all the makings of a Cape Horn Extreme330. The Clark pump shown is much newer, probably re-built within the last 10 years. That pump is worth 2K alone if in good condition, even if not it can be re-built into like new condition. Even if the new owner dropped another 1K into it he is way ahead of the crowd. A true testament to Spectras systems.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2021, 11:21   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Pacific Seacraft Orion MK II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Glad you sold it. I just wanted to jump in here and say that that unit was one of the very first electronic controlled Spectas ever built. Probably 20-25+ years old. A testament to the care it must have been shown. You're right, none of the electronics are available, but for 2k someone got a good deal because they have all the makings of a Cape Horn Extreme330. The Clark pump shown is much newer, probably re-built within the last 10 years. That pump is worth 2K alone if in good condition, even if not it can be re-built into like new condition. Even if the new owner dropped another 1K into it he is way ahead of the crowd. A true testament to Spectras systems.
I hope you are correct, I just dropped $1400 on rebuilding a 16 year old Ventura 150. This included one necessary part that was leaking, the replacement part was a whopping $400! Hopefully with the good care I intend to give it I will get another 16 years out of it! Ben S/V DAWN
Americanrancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 08:09   #7

Boat: Hunter 450 Passage CC 45 foot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
We also have a 380C. We just started an attempt to put into service and found we have a non functioning stroke sensor. So, no electronic avaiable equals you have my attention. Where can I go to find parts and instructions to convert to a Cape Horn Extreme 330?
W.T.Gross is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DIY, parts, water, watermaker