Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2017, 10:25   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 36 trawler
Some free sailing books . . .

Old age, plus a few other ugly little facts of life, have made it clear that I will not be cruising again. Not in this life, anyway.

I have a few books which may useful to someone who can, though. They have been around for a while, but I think that the information in them is not particularly affected by advances in technology.

Free to the first person who wants them, except that you will need to pay the postage. Just shoot me a note if you are interested. All books need to go to the same person, since wrapping is a hassle.

"World Cruising Handbook," by Jimmy Cornell
"Heavy Weather Sailing," by K. Adlard Coles
"Storm Tactics," by Lin and Larry Pardey

John
jwnall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 10:57   #2

Boat: Bristol Corsair 24
Re: Some free sailing books . . .

Sure - let me know how much for shipping to 08033 (Haddonfield, NJ)

"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude but fast in the sinking of the unfit." - Felix Riesenberg
tarditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:01   #3

OK, I'll package them up and see what the cost will be to ship them to NJ, and then get back with you.

John
Old 05-12-2017, 11:05   #4

Boat: Bristol Corsair 24

Cool - thanks a lot! PayPal OK for shipping?

"The sea is selective, slow at recognition of effort and aptitude but fast in the sinking of the unfit." - Felix Riesenberg
tarditi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 11:33   #5

I have never had anyone send me money before through my PayPal account, but I think that it can be done. So yes, that would be fine. I think that all I have to do is to give you my email address, and then PayPal can take it from there. I'll do that after I know what the shipping cost is going to be. My rough estimate would be around $10, but that is just a guess based upon sending packages before. So lets wait and know for sure. You were the first to respond, so the books have your name on them.
Old 05-12-2017, 11:57   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

John-
In case you're unaware, check the "MEDIA MAIL" or "BOOK RATE" price. It is something ridiculously reasonable like a buck or two per pound. Takes about 5 business days to get up/down the east coast, maybe ten this time of year. The clerks at the post office hate to mention it, they try to get everything by Global Next Day Air [sic] instead.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 12:08   #7

Thanks. I did not know about that!

John
Old 05-12-2017, 15:59   #8

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwnall View Post
Old age, plus a few other ugly little facts of life, have made it clear that I will not be cruising again. Not in this life, anyway.

I have a few books which may useful to someone who can, though. They have been around for a while, but I think that the information in them is not particularly affected by advances in technology.

Free to the first person who wants them, except that you will need to pay the postage. Just shoot me a note if you are interested. All books need to go to the same person, since wrapping is a hassle.

"World Cruising Handbook," by Jimmy Cornell
"Heavy Weather Sailing," by K. Adlard Coles
"Storm Tactics," by Lin and Larry Pardey

John
Sorry to hear about your cruising decision. Those are the classics...can't imagine they'd ever really become obsolete. I also wanted to say hi, John. I used to live in Havana and still have a home there. Small world, huh?
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:06   #9

A small world indeed! Most people have never even heard of Havana! The one in Florida, I mean. Which, as you almost certainly know, was named after the one in Cuba, since so many Cubans came here to work (cigar industry).

Thanks for the note.
Old 06-12-2017, 08:52   #10

Tarditi -- it is going to be next week before I get back with you on it, because of my schedule (cannot get to the post office). But no worry, I will be back.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:09   #11

Boat: Island Trader 38

Hey Jwnall, if it falls through with tarditi I would be interested in the books. I have some friends that live in your neck of the woods that may be able to meet you.
pridekit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-12-2017, 15:58   #12

For the several people who have expressed an interest in the books should they not go to the first person to respond, that deal has gone through OK. I have the shipping cost money in hand, and will be sending them to him.

I do appreciate your interest, though. These are good books. My wife and I did four years cruising on the sailboat (mostly Western Caribbean, Rio Dulce, Mexico, Belize . . .), and were always glad that we had them on the boat. Just in case. :-)

Almost needed them once, though. Lesson learned: Never leave the Western tip of Cuba to head to Isla Mujeres when there is a strong cold front coming down from the North. That cold front meeting the Yucatan channel current makes for some really, really interesting sailing! :-)

John

Tags
books, sail, sailing