Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-06-2019, 18:16   #1

Searching for Sailboat Please Read

Hello Salty Sailors,

My wife and I are in search of a liveaboard sailing vessel. We are in need of a vessel that is capable of sleeping our family of 7. I would really like to have space to sleep 9 for extra family or friends to join once in a while but we are aware of the difficulty of finding such. I am a FULLY DISABLED veteran and receive income every first of the month. It is not a ton of money but it is strong and firm and takes care of us every month. I am looking for a sailor willing to help with at most an OWNER FINANCING option. With my guaranteed income I could work with Direct payments as well as a down payment. We are aware that what we are asking can be difficult due to people being hard to trust. We are most definitely not that type and willing to honor any agreement respectfully. We are willing to jump through a few hoops to work out a deal that seems fit for you as well as our family. My family and I have never been able to see much of the world and we would love to give our children an amazing opportunity to do so. We would promise to let you be a part of this awesome journey with us by sending pictures and videos as well along the way if you would like also! So please if there is anything someone is willing to offer to help us we ask you to not hesitate to contact us!
Thank you so much in advance!
SailingHippie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2019, 18:26   #2
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra
Re: Searching for Sailboat Please Read

With a family of 7 and a few more occasionally, you need a 53’ monohull or cat, perhaps bigger.
Check these listings:
https://www.sailboatlistings.com/sai...under_55_feet/

As for Owner Financing: Owner have to be pretty desperate to finance his boat, it could be gone in a flash.

Good luck to you.
Old 04-06-2019, 12:22   #3

Boat: Hans Christian 43T Telstar keel

A very close friend tried going the owner financing route. Took out listings in magazines and posted a lot on social media. He got several people selling junk, and I mean real junk... No one with a decent boat, even one that required some work, ever responded to him. I applaud your efforts and desire to find a deal somewhere. I do not think you should give up. Just being realistic about the possibility of this actually happening. Persevere to find a unique deal though. You never know...

This may be much easier if you are very handy and willing to take on a project boat that needs a lot of work. Or a project boat that is also behind on marina fees. They are out there! I would venture a guess that almost all marinas have boats that are abandoned and are sold at auction. Maybe try calling a few marinas to see if they have anything? Maybe there are a few desperate owners out there.

Good luck and keep us posted on your search!
CharmCityBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 12:30   #4

Thank you so much for your reply and kindness! We are expecting that any sailing Vessel we get will need work done to improve it. And we are more than happy to do so. We feel it helps know your boat the way you should. We are excited to make something old into something new! We have not attempted to speak with any Marina's but thanks to your advise we are beginning to! Again, thank you for your help!

Wishing you Happy and safe sailing,
Sailing Hippie
Old 04-06-2019, 14:11   #5

What is the nature of the income? And what is the amount available for boat payments, marina fees, insurance, and maintenance?

That figure is the first piece of information you need to come up with in order to figure out if this is a realistic option for you.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:16   #6

We have researched the cost of what's needed. And hope that anyone looking for any big purchase such as this would know to look into such things. Our income is enough and stable. But thank you for your concern.
Old 04-06-2019, 14:19   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailingHippie View Post
We have researched the cost of what's needed. And hope that anyone looking for any big purchase such as this would know to look into such things. Our income is enough and stable. But thank you for your concern.

Well, best of luck.
letsgetsailing3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 14:32   #8

Boat: a sailing boat

Hi Hippie,

I do not have a boat to offer but I have some advice that may help.

One is (to) try and not mix (beyond a point) a boat that comfortably sleeps 7 with a boat to go and let your children see 'the world'. I think you will easily find a good comfortable liveaboard boat for 7 or 9. No sweat. However, a boat to navigate safely, will need systems (sail, power or and both). And systems cost. And also, to some extent, systems do not like to share living space with people.

Think of a small inland barge - this will be an outstanding liveaboard for any family and will let you explore (e.g. the ICW) in fantastic ways. I would also guess a good barge can be safely sailed (powered) in stages, to the Caribbean and back.

Then to see 'the world' (say, if you are a US citizen, the southern seas = the pacific ocean) you will want a different craft, maybe one that does not comfortably sleep 9, but one that takes 9 or 7, in safety, from California to say Australia.

The barge and the other craft may / not be the same boat. You possibly know by now what I want to say.

I wish you all the luck and persistence FOR IT IS WELL WORTH IT. Cruising is a great adventure.

Cheers,
barnakiel
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 17:40   #9

Consider (and research thoroughly) these things...

Costs involved in making what will almost certainly be a non-seaworthy vessel seaworthy again (remember your whole world is living on the boat with you).
Slips, haulouts, sails, hardware, etc., EVERYTHING on big boats costs way more to maintain, repair and replace. Unless you have a good sized refit budget or plan to simply have a condo that never leaves the dock I just can't see it happening.

Look into how insurance would work for the situation you describe. I suspect it would be a challenge to get it insured for a few reasons. One of which is it's going to be in another persons name until you pay it off (I think it's looked at differently than bank financing). 2nd their will almost certainly need be a recent survey and I can promise you, an older boat is going to have issues that will need to be addressed before the company will insure it (they might let you have a short period of time to fix it depending on the issues).

Consider the nonrefundable costs of the survey and haulout as noted above.

Personally I think anyone who is willing to carry the contract on a boat is totally out of their minds or very desperate to unload a money pit. What if the buyer skips town with the boat? What type of assurances can the seller get if something happens to the buyer or the boat sinks or damages someones property? I'll assume there is a good chance of getting sued a hundred different ways.

In any case, I admire your desire to set sail with your family into the sunset but I just see LOTS of hurdles standing in your way.
docrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 18:02   #10

these guys are doing what you want to do... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8F...nwkEBnds6-bQOg
Old 04-06-2019, 18:11   #11

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmCityBoater View Post
these guys are doing what you want to do... https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8F...nwkEBnds6-bQOg
Well, if the OP WANTS to be constantly working on a boat, then yeah, they are living the dream.

A quick glance seems to indicate they started thinking about a boat a year ago, bought the boat 9 months ago, and have been fixing it every since, with one or two sails in between where basically, it broke.

Possibly one of the better documented cases of the dangers of a fixer-upper that I have seen, with exception maybe of Tally Ho from Sampson Boat Co.
Old 04-06-2019, 18:18   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Well, if the OP WANTS to be constantly working on a boat, then yeah, they are living the dream.
Yep, For some people doing the work on the boat is living the dream. Not everybody has to just simply sail all the time to be happy. I find working on the boat to be my Zen place. I do agree doing it with a family may be very challenging. But that is a choice each individual has to make for themselves. I think people should be more respectful of others dreams and wishes. Yes, give them advice. But don’t discourage People through negativity.
Old 04-06-2019, 18:30   #13

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharmCityBoater View Post
Yep, For some people doing the work on the boat is living the dream. Not everybody has to just simply sail all the time to be happy. I find working on the boat to be my Zen place. I do agree doing it with a family may be very challenging. But that is a choice each individual has to make for themselves. I think people should be more respectful of others dreams and wishes. Yes, give them advice. But don’t discourage People through negativity.
Geez, I hope you don't think I was discouraging the OP.

Just pointing out the numbers. Nowhere did the OP say they wanted to spend the next XXX years working on the boat. They were talking about the opportunity to show the world to their kids.

That video is demonstrating the opportunity to show a boat yard to the kids.

I like working on boats as much as the next guy, but I don't expect kids to share that joy.
Old 04-06-2019, 18:38   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Geez, I hope you don't think I was discouraging the OP.

Just pointing out the numbers. Nowhere did the OP say they wanted to spend the next XXX years working on the boat. They were talking about the opportunity to show the world to their kids.

That video is demonstrating the opportunity to show a boat yard to the kids.

I like working on boats as much as the next guy, but I don't expect kids to share that joy.
Yep, my remark about negativity wasn’t for you. I agree with all you said. My kids all grown now, my turn to play... :-)
Old 04-06-2019, 20:18   #15

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

My thoughts re doing a huge refit on a biggish boat whilst living aboard with a 5 kid family: OMG!

Sorry if that seems negative, but until you have tried to do major work while living aboard, you simply have no idea how difficult and how depressing that activity is. And to do it with 7 souls aboard... the mind boggles.

It sounds like a good way to become a bachelor once again.

Jim

Tags
arc, boat, lease, sail, sailboat