Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2022, 08:26   #1

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Rigging Business in Saint Petersburg Florida

I started this small business in 1996. I haven’t had any success in finding an apprentice that is able or willing to commit. I am looking for a motivated person of ANY nationality that would be interested in acquiring a small business that will demand a lot of hard work and provide an honest reliable living.
Currently the business consists of myself, my wife and one other rigger. All of us are in our mid sixties and are childless.
I am very open to creative financing and my main objective is to see the business continue operating.
This is a sort of hail-Mary, last ditch effort before liquidation, so I am motivated.
I will speak to seriously interested parties via phone or email.

Please reply only if you’re serious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	22B3D386-0C02-4CB7-BD7E-13ED2E581084.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	400.7 KB
ID:	259059  
Old 06-06-2022, 21:51   #2

Re: Rigging Business in Saint Petersburg Florida

Not looking to buy, but I have a lot of respect for people doing hands-on work, especially in trades that are slowly becoming more rare. Honest hard work is respectable and will provide.

I wish all of you good luck and hopefully you'll find a good person to take over your business.
George_SD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2022, 22:30   #3

Boat: Bavaria 35E

Would it make sense to approach any trade schools?
nightowle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 16:35   #4

A friend of mine just shut down his sail loft, maybe a year back now.
Could not find anyone to apprentice to take over, anyone to buy the business......nothing. Nobody. Shutdown and sold machines /inventory.
I dare say after a while you will likely be in the same position and do the same thing.
The days of folks being happy to work are pretty much over. Those of us that do....are super stupid crazy busy.....the rest just sit on their asses, much easier.

I wish it were not so, but it's just the way of things.

Best of luck.
Allied39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2022, 17:00   #5

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

I hate to be that jerk, but do you need a new customer right now? LOL.

I’m guessing that is the last thing you need, but I’ve been needing a rigger.

I think you might find someone through here though. It was a good idea to post this.

I’m looking for a business to buy right now too, but unfortunately not this type, as I don’t have the skill set.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:33   #6

Boat: Sea Ray 420 AC

I was just in your shop yesterday for the first time and you showed me how to do a splice. I hate to hear your shutting down but sure understand. I told my wife you are the kind of guy I like to do business with. Good luck with your search.
Monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 04:49   #7

You may want to try contacting a business broker, such as Sunbelt or others that work with small businesses. Also, maybe try informing south Florida marine surveyors. A third option would be to contact local boat yards. It would get the word out and worse case you might find a buyer for your equipment. Good luck!
billflan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:03   #8

What is your contact number / email?
rykie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 06:51   #9

Location: Boynton Beach, Florida. Cruising Bahamas through Spring 2024
Boat: Manta 40

Congratulations on running an important business and your impending retirement. Have you spoken with Curt at Keys Rigging. He took over that business several years ago and is a valued member of the Marathon community. We had an issue right before we left and he took great care of us. We heard the same from many others. Maybe he will be open to expanding his business??
Good luck and hope you find the right person to carry on the tradition!
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 08:37   #10

Boat: Nor Sea 27'

This is just to update anyone interested in the outcome of my little dilemma. The business has been sold and I am really grateful to be able to say that the new owners are going to continue to operate in the same location.
I’ve known Chris, one of the two new owners for a couple of years and I know him to be a hardworking, knowledgeable rigger who above all is an honest and straightforward man.
Bob, the other owner is someone I just met and someone who impressed me from the first moment. He has been a small business owner in this area for decades and has a stellar reputation.
They both have delightful and supportive families that I’ve had the pleasure of meeting.

In a very short period of time SSMR, Inc. has undergone a long overdue transformation and has become something young and reinvigorated.
I’m pleased to introduce Holdfast Rigging.
Chris and Bob are answers to prayers. I believe in them. I recommend them. And I wish them every success!

Please take a minute to visit their website. (they have a great one compared to what I had). They have promised me that they will maintain the “Cruiser Friendly“ atmosphere and attitude that made me so many friends over the years so look them up when you come to town.

https://holdfastfla.com/?fbclid=IwAR...hDkgsp0lqD4VnM
Old 30-06-2022, 08:46   #11

Boat: Sea Ray 420 AC

That’s awesome. Congratulations. I’ll check them out.
Monepit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2022, 08:53   #12

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Congratulations! I need some rigging hopefully pretty soon. As soon as the actual spar is up and in place. I need a lot of running rigging.

I will pay them a visit.

Also, if anyone here has a business that they are looking to sell, I am looking to buy. Prefer a medium size business that is not just a flavor of the month. Not looking for glamorous and sexy. But looking for a midsize $3 million-$5 million business.

I have had exposure to a lot of industries working in a similar capacity to the big three consulting firms. So I’m a quick study on any particular industry.

Don’t be afraid to send a private message to me if you are considering retiring and/or going cruising. I would be very interested in continuing the business in your spirit without making a lot of changes to it.

This is real and I have financial backers for this.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:11   #13

Boat: Catalina 34

Thank you Steve Smith for the very kind words and allow us; Chris Mulone and Bob Wingate to introduce ourselves to CF. We look forward to continuing the outstanding reputation and work that Steve and Andrew have done the past 25 years. Both Steve and Andrew will continue to lend there extensive knowledge and talents here at Hold Fast Rigging for years to come and we look forward to a bright future here in Florida.
wingate9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 06:50   #14

I'm glad this story has a happy ending. if there's a moral, it's NETWORK, NETWORK, NETWORK.

Tags
florida, rigging