Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2019, 11:22   #1

Boat: been sitting it out
one to preview the listed boat locally

so often, folks make arrangements to travel half way around the world and then are very disappointed with the boat they had seen in the images.

brokers are not obliged to post current images of their products, which is really too bad. sometimes the boat has issues that the broker could have (should have) mentioned that makes the trip useless.

Let's put together a list of those folks who are willing to do a pre-viewing locally.

for example, i live in France. i can take the train most anywhere in this country and view a boat for someone who is not local.

i know enough about boats to know what to look for. I can take photos, film, etc. i can test the vanes, seacocks, check for corrosion, look for mildew, damage... (i'd take the 101 survey booklet with me so to get good at it).

I can be on the phone with the potential buyer and reply to his/her specific questions on the spot (something a broker will not do). i'm also bilingual, so I can ask questions in French and give you the info over the phone in English.

in return, i could be reimbursed for my train/transport, possibly an overnight and, if needed, a meal or two. If the potential owner is happy, he/she can tip.

to the broker, we could say that i'm your cousin. no big deal, we are all cousins

i would love to do this because i have a flexible schedule (can translate in the train) and really and truly love boats.

Would this suggestion be something that would be of interest?

wolfgal

Old 06-03-2019, 14:47   #2

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Re: one to preview the listed boat locally

Hi Wolfie,

Yep, I think that such a service would be of use to distant buyers. But, you would be competing with normal surveyors who offer a similar service, and with fellow CFers who often offer to do the same things for free. As I see it, you would be kinda in the middle between these two levels of service, and that might fit well with some needs. The bi-lingual aspect could help as well.

On the down side, there could be liability aspects with respect to the validity of info that you provide. I don't know much about such things (and abhor the notion) but there are folks who jump on opportunities to pass blame on to others.

So, wait and see what other folks say... I do think it has some merit!

Good luck with the idea and its implementation.

Jim
Old 06-03-2019, 17:40   #3

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Hello Wolfie-

It would be very much like asking family or a friend to do a large favor.

I think this could work well with a small agreement to scope of project (photos and impressions but not a hours-long binding survey) and a stipend for travel beyond 50 km/30 miles or so.
Old 07-03-2019, 02:13   #4

thanks Jim and Spot.

i think you are right about making it clear that it would not be about making a pro survey. i have much respect for surveyors and do not think for a minute that i would have that level of expertise.

and it is true that i'd have to look out for those who jump on occasions to place blame...

the idea as is stands is as Spot said, as a kind of large favour, only not from a family member who hasn't a clue... it is for when folks want to know the boat's present state, when they want to make certain that they will not be planning a trip for nothing and/or hiring a surveyor just to find out the boat is a heap of rust

of course, there would not be a need for this type of favour if brokers were obliged to provide current images and information on the boats they represent

there are some good brokers out there, but this seems to be more a reflection of the person, not the job description
wolfgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 03:00   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: one to preview the listed boat locally

Sounds like a good idea for buyers from the States and Australia to have someone local (Europe) to give their selection a once over and take some notes, pics of the areas of interest, keel bolts/bilge, engine, rigging screws and wires etc..
Could save them serious time, money and dismay..
Maybe a contract establishing its a nonpro inspection merely a viewing and if possible check on things working.
I have found on a few boats, just coz its in the inventory dont mean it works.. makes great padding tho..
Nothing to lose Wolfie give it a go..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 09:59   #6

I have in the past contacted a local surveyor and would have a quick viewing of a boat ( obvious stuff, deck leaks, blemished wood, state of cushions etc ) for a small sum. $ 300. is less than plane + hotel etc.
Scaramanga F25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:59   #7

Boat: VDS Seal 36 and Sandpiper 565

Hey Wolfie!

This seems like a great idea. I will be shopping for my next boat soon and if the one I am pursuing on this side of the pond falls through for some reason, I'll likely be looking to France next. Your offer to pre-inspect sounds like a great idea!

From my perspective, your opinions will at least give a realistic view of what is obvious and more importantly your first and overall impression..... Priceless!!

I have flown 1/2 way across a country to look at a boat that looked promising, only to find out a couple deal breaker details that would easily been flagged during a casual inspection. On a positive note, it was close to my daughter and we had a wonderful visit that made the cost worth it!

I will follow this thread.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:56   #8

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

I would be happy to view a boat for someone in Hampton Roads. This would cover Norfolk, Hampton and other nearby areas. I can easily give a quick assessment on whether the listing seems to match the boat, or the images are from 5 years and a hard circumnavigation ago.

As has been said, a friendly 'quick-look' can lead to a better feel for hiring a local surveyor to do a quick survey or just convince the prospective buyer to commit to a trip to see for themselves.

I would not see this assistance as taking work from surveyors. Most I have met are too busy for the 'quick-look'.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 13:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingnut40 View Post
Hey Wolfie!

This seems like a great idea. I will be shopping for my next boat soon and if the one I am pursuing on this side of the pond falls through for some reason, I'll likely be looking to France next. Your offer to pre-inspect sounds like a great idea!

From my perspective, your opinions will at least give a realistic view of what is obvious and more importantly your first and overall impression..... Priceless!!

I have flown 1/2 way across a country to look at a boat that looked promising, only to find out a couple deal breaker details that would easily been flagged during a casual inspection. On a positive note, it was close to my daughter and we had a wonderful visit that made the cost worth it!

I will follow this thread.
Excellent flyingnut40!

This idea actually came about when i had an experience like yours.

Do not hesitate to contact me.

wolfgal

Old 07-03-2019, 13:47   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by tankersteve View Post
I would be happy to view a boat for someone in Hampton Roads. This would cover Norfolk, Hampton and other nearby areas. I can easily give a quick assessment on whether the listing seems to match the boat, or the images are from 5 years and a hard circumnavigation ago.

As has been said, a friendly 'quick-look' can lead to a better feel for hiring a local surveyor to do a quick survey or just convince the prospective buyer to commit to a trip to see for themselves.

I would not see this assistance as taking work from surveyors. Most I have met are too busy for the 'quick-look'.

Tankersteve

Yes, too often the boat has been sitting and waiting and disintegrating and no longer resembles the images.

Although we expect the the broker to have done the quick look, very often the broker has no clue, has never set eyes on the boat and only goes on what the owner has stated (whenever that was).

Saving someone the time, the expense, and the disappointing experience just feels good.

Tankersteve, thank you for chiming in!

wolfgal

Old 07-03-2019, 14:58   #11

Boat: Passport 42

I think it is a great idea- my story was that I was looking at a yacht in French Polynesia and all info pointed towards it being an excellent opportunity- however, only after I had been able to find a complete stranger (now a valued friend from Alaska) who happened to have his yacht and his willingness to go look for me, did I consider making an offer and commit to spend the funds to get there. The offer was accepted and I am a proud co-owner of the best value boat (beauty is in the eye of the beholder) albeit one far from me for the time being.
So I see this working both ways- where a seller has an asset that is good value and you get a heads up that it is indeed good value a sale may eventuate faster.
You as a buyer still need to do your due diligence and know what questions need to be asked.
ozzieKochie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 15:32   #12

Boat: Farr 1020

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sounds like a good idea for buyers from the States and Australia to have someone local (Europe) to give their selection a once over and take some notes, pics of the areas of interest, keel bolts/bilge, engine, rigging screws and wires etc..
Maybe a contract establishing its a nonpro inspection merely a viewing and if possible check on things working.
I have found on a few boats, just coz its in the inventory dont mean it works.. makes great padding tho..
I have experienced that just because it is on the inventory does not even mean it actually exists. Items missing or swapped for lower quality can be found, or even upgraded but actually not what you want.
I like the idea of frustration limitation, it sounds like an excellent idea.
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 06:45   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Thank you Boatie, for these encouraging comments!

Old 08-03-2019, 09:42   #14

Boat: Meta Arctic Voyager 47
Send a message via AIM to northwestsailor Send a message via Skype™ to northwestsailor

I am currently looking for someone to take pictures inside and out of a boat I am looking at in Tromso, Norway. Anyone interested? I will certainly pay for your time and efforts.
northwestsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 14:24   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestsailor View Post
I am currently looking for someone to take pictures inside and out of a boat I am looking at in Tromso, Norway. Anyone interested? I will certainly pay for your time and efforts.
Northwesternsailor, thanks for posting!

Let's see, how to find someone who is already there?
i propose that you start a new thread, entitled something like,

--Help viewing boat: Anyone in Tromso, Norway?--

If you do not find anyone locally, send me a pm. it is a bit farther off than i had originally envisioned but will definitely consider.

in any case, i hope someone comes through for you.

wolfgal

Tags
boat, cal