Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2020, 07:50   #31

Boat: Freedom 38
Re: Monitor Windvane LIKE NEW

Welcome to CF, Arne! Thanks for being a good sport in this thread and keeping an even keel about it Looks like someone got a great deal on a windvane.
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 12:39   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sorry guys, but this is the THIRD TRY THIS WEEK ALONE for someone who just joined this Forum trying to "sell" a windvane:

Possible Scam Alerts
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...rt-242431.html

Fraudulent Seller Activity
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ty-242350.html

BE VERY VERY CAUTIOUS.
Do you have the means to compare IP addresses ?
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 12:41   #33

I had someone try to sell me an engine, saying that it was in the UK and including photos. I had seen the photos before, of an engine that was for sale in the Netherlands, under a different name.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 18:09   #34

I bought a used Monitor Vane for my Alberg 35. Worked great. 5 yrs later when I bought a KP 44 center cockpit it had just too much friction to overcome. She had a bit of a heavy helm although very well behaved. The long steering cable runs combined with the long control line runs was not a good combination. So I sold it nearly for as much as I paid for it. It’s robust and a good investment.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 20:07   #35

Pay with paypal you'll be 100% covered that is if you really want it...
Juggerknot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 23:56   #36

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by afeyling View Post
Here are the photos of the wind vane. The three on the garage floor are the actual unit, the two on the boat are on a sistership for illustrative purposes only.

Great gear indeed.
I have an ARIES same principle, these systems work well
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2020, 23:58   #37

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by skenn_ie View Post
I had someone try to sell me an engine, saying that it was in the UK and including photos. I had seen the photos before, of an engine that was for sale in the Netherlands, under a different name.

Just do a COD set up with the transport company..cost a bit more but works
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2020, 10:48   #38

That was a sweetheart of a deal, if I was in the market I'd have jumped on it. I must admit, I get a huge kick out of the dooms-dayers and detail seekers that really had no intention of buying the unit but want details and pics with a newspaper etc. As someone that has done literally thousands of online transactions and untold amounts of money changing hands, a phone call to the prospective seller or buyer if roles are reversed and a paypal or escrow payment on really big stuff ends any risk of exposure. No scammer is going for this as they will fail miserably and the payee is 100% protected. Too many are too quick to judge and really act quite rudely in my opinion and expect others to jump through hoops when in fact they have no intention of following through on a deal.
Old 22-11-2020, 03:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggerknot View Post
That was a sweetheart of a deal, if I was in the market I'd have jumped on it. I must admit, I get a huge kick out of the dooms-dayers and detail seekers that really had no intention of buying the unit but want details and pics with a newspaper etc. As someone that has done literally thousands of online transactions and untold amounts of money changing hands, a phone call to the prospective seller or buyer if roles are reversed and a paypal or escrow payment on really big stuff ends any risk of exposure. No scammer is going for this as they will fail miserably and the payee is 100% protected. Too many are too quick to judge and really act quite rudely in my opinion and expect others to jump through hoops when in fact they have no intention of following through on a deal.
Sorry Juggernaut,

You're coming rather late to the party. The windvane is already sold - and if you had read the entire thread and the recent number of scams that have been experienced by this Forum you would have understood the reason for everyone's caution.

Comments like this, after the fact and with little context are not helpful. You just end up coming across as self-congratulatory and arrogant - which I'm sure wasn't your intent, was it?

LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 04:12   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Sorry Juggernaut,

You're coming rather late to the party. The windvane is already sold - and if you had read the entire thread and the recent number of scams that have been experienced by this Forum you would have understood the reason for everyone's caution.

Comments like this, after the fact and with little context are not helpful. You just end up coming across as self-congratulatory and arrogant - which I'm sure wasn't your intent, was it?

LittleWing77
Actually wing, I followed the thread and the others regarding scammers. For those that like to jump to conclusions and make instant judgment calls without any basis and essentially blindside a new member who, in good faith and full compliance has offered a nice wind vane at a good price complete with pictures and details, I have little sympathy. If you or others haven't yet figured out how to conduct business safely on the internet, perhaps the local chandlery is most appropriate. I hardly see any self congratulatory aspect to my post however, I do often see your arrogance and smarminess peeking out of your posts. Good day and might I recommend trolling elsewhere, I don't particularly care for it.
Old 22-11-2020, 05:08   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juggerknot View Post
Actually wing, I followed the thread and the others regarding scammers. For those that like to jump to conclusions and make instant judgment calls without any basis and essentially blindside a new member who, in good faith and full compliance has offered a nice wind vane at a good price complete with pictures and details, I have little sympathy. If you or others haven't yet figured out how to conduct business safely on the internet, perhaps the local chandlery is most appropriate. I hardly see any self congratulatory aspect to my post however, I do often see your arrogance and smarminess peeking out of your posts. Good day and might I recommend trolling elsewhere, I don't particularly care for it.
You just proved my point.

Thank you.
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2020, 12:22   #42

And obviously I did too. Thank God for the ignore button. Adios
Old 22-11-2020, 13:29   #43

Actually all the poor OP needed to say was that he was looking for a local sale.
Do people actually post these things around the country? More like selling a car or motorbike I would have thought.
I did send a Super Navik from Aus to England about 20 years ago and it cost the same as I sold the unit for. But the buyer was willing to pay as it was a direct replacement of a damaged one.
NevilleCat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
monitor, wind, windvane