Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2022, 14:52   #1

Boat: Catalina 36
Monitor Windvane 316 SS Model

I am aware of the scam listings for Monitor windvanes. Before you get to excited, this is for local sale and pickup only. I am not willing to ship. I won’t take paypal for payment and I am not asking for a deposit. If you want to make a purchase, you must first personally inspect the windvane and then pay with $2000 cash if you choose to make a purchase.

As I write this listing, I am at home in Wichita, KS. We don’t take the paper and I think it has gone all digital. Not sure and don’t care. We are leaving for our boat in Rockport TX this weekend, and will take the Monitor with us. I think there is a printed paper there. We’ll see.

I am not making a public posting of the serial number for obvious reasons. Begin contact with a PM. You will need the serial number so you can call Scanmar to learn the history on this Monitor.

Here is what I know or can remember: An acquaintance purchased this monitor from the Rockport Marine Flea Market. He never finished restoring his boat. He hauled it home to San Angelo TX. In the fall of 2018 I learned he had the Monitor and purchased it from him with the intention of installing it on my Catalina 36 with a swim deck. I designed a hinged mount for the installation and then learned that my wife is not willing to go cruising. Too much work to just play with it so I hauled it home.

As I recall, the lady at Scanmar told me what it had been installed on and she judged it was not in service very long and should have low wear. I agree with the low wear with the exception of the large plastic trim pulley. It was plastic, broken, and weathered. I made a new pulley from 7075 aircraft aluminum, painted and installed it. If you don’t like the pulley I made, just purchase a new plastic one to replace it.

The wheel adapter was purchased separately. I have no idea who made it as it has no markings on it. It has minor corrosion and I don’t think it is made from 316. I did plan to use it and I think it would work well.

I received only the one wind vane with this Monitor. Scanmar has instructions for making your own assortment of vanes from lightweight sign board. The one I have looks to be made from a door skin or very thin plywood.

Please beware that you must either purchase an adapter kit from Scanmar or make the parts to install this Monitor on your boat. Scanmar can provide you with an estimate for that adapter kit. The Scanmar website has manuals and parts details. Much to learn!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1794.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	421.6 KB
ID:	251125   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1792.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	251126  

Name:	IMG_1800.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	445.4 KB
ID:	251127   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1797.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	443.8 KB
ID:	251128  

Name:	IMG_1783.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	432.5 KB
ID:	251129  
Old 19-01-2022, 07:23   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Hirsch, 45'
Re: Monitor Windvane 316 SS Model

I'm in wichita, would like to come by to inspect and potentially purchase.. PM sent
Old 19-01-2022, 08:13   #3

I wish I were still in Wichita. We are in Rockport TX now and I brought both the Monitor and the ICOM SSB radio with me. I will look for a printed newspaper this afternoon and if found, will add to the posting for both items.

By the way, I called Scanmar and learned they do not register the windvanes to individuals, but do try to keep track of what they are installed on. Therefore I feel comfortable posting the serial number.

Serial Number: 6039-0499

I inquired what it would cost to install on a friend's boat. They replied with a $1600 list of parts, not all needed. The cost of what he would need to complete the installation was $763.90 plus tax and shipping. Basically, you would need the upper and lower tubes to fit your boat and several small parts.

Thank you for your interest and reply.
Chris
Old 23-01-2022, 15:07   #4

The windvane is with me in Rockport TX. Attached is a selfy of me and the Rockport Newspaper. Sorry I don't know how to get the photo right side up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1812.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	404.7 KB
ID:	251834  
Old 23-01-2022, 15:26   #5

Price lowered to $1500. Still local pickup in Rockport TX only. Not interested in shipping.

This is a newer 316 stainless steel model. Call Scanmar with the serial number for more information. To install on your boat, you will need the upper and lower tubes and brackets that are customized for your boat.

I am having a difficult time using the private messaging on this site. Feel free to contact me using WindDancer72018 at chrisdcollins dot com
Closed Thread

Tags
model, monitor, wind, windvane