Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2018, 09:35   #1

Boat: Sweden Yachts
Lewmar Wavegrip winches

Dear fellow cruisers.

I would like to buy a few chrome Lewmar Wavegrip- winches. As most of you know, these are Lewmar’s early self- tailing winches with fixed jaws. They were in production during the eighties and early nineties, and they are easily recognizible by the four bolts holding the black top cap.

Sure, I know both the ocean and the evo models with spring loaded jaws are a significant upgrade, as they can accomodate modern slim trimlines. However, due to aesthetical reasons, I want my ”new” units to blend in perfectly with my existing 30 year old wavegrips, so these are the only winches I want on board.

I need one small unit (approximately size 16-30) and a pair of mid sized winches (46, 48, 52, preferably 52..)
A little patina is totally okay, and I don’t mind doing some serious cleaning and greasing, but I don’t want to buy worn out units with broken teeth or missing parts.

I’m located in Oslo, Norway. Anything available locally? If not, I’d appreciate if you are willing to ship abroad.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

best regards,
-kjetil-
-bliss- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2018, 12:07   #2

Boat: Valiant 40
Lewmar Wavegrip winches

Ebay! They come up all the time.
Old 14-09-2018, 12:17   #3

Re: Lewmar Wavegrip winches

Dear Suijin.

Thank you for taking the time to reply!

I see them on ebay too, but unfortunately, not a lot of the sellers are willing to ship them to Norway, where I´m located.
I might have to take a vacation to the other side of the pond in order to pick up a pair of these old beauties. Wouldn´t be too bad, now that I come to think of it..

Happy sailing!
-kjetil-
Old 15-09-2018, 15:30   #4

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

I may end up with an extra 30 later this winter, in November or December. If you don't find anything let me know.
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2018, 08:01   #5

Dear Pmagistro!
Sounds great.
Feel free to drop me a line, if you decide to sell it.

Thank you!
-kjetil-
Old 07-11-2018, 10:35   #6

Boat: 1978 Bristol 29.9 #113

The new winches I bought as-is off eBay are missing their collets (at $70/ea and 2/winch) so I'll probably keep my extra for parts. Good luck!!
pmagistro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27   #7

I´m sorry to hear that your new second hand winches didn’t live up to the expectations! Hopefully you´ll find affordable parts for them!

Thanks for the update anyway, and thank you for getting back to me in the first place.

Best of luck!
-kjetil-
Old 06-03-2019, 20:20   #8

Boat: Del Rey 50

I have a pair of 52 wavegrips that i would sell if you are still interested
Adventuresail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 15:41   #9

Boat: Pearson 424

I am servicing older Lewmar Wavegrip ST 52 Chrome Bronze Self Tailing Yacht Winch. I'took off the 4 screws at the top. I decided I needed to get some parts so re assembled it, however there are two identical parts that hold the main shaft down ( the very last part of re assembly) however I can not get these to line up with the screw holes just barley off, however they must of lined up at some time. i was able to unscrew the top part.what am I doing wrong ??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	winch.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	191.2 KB
ID:	193247  
shadowdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2020, 10:26   #10

Boat: KM Yachts Makkum Bestevaer 53

Hopefully you found out by now... you should lift the main shaft to fit bronze clips, press them further in.
STAYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2021, 15:36   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by -bliss- View Post
Dear fellow cruisers.

I would like to buy a few chrome Lewmar Wavegrip- winches. As most of you know, these are Lewmar’s early self- tailing winches with fixed jaws. They were in production during the eighties and early nineties, and they are easily recognizible by the four bolts holding the black top cap.

Sure, I know both the ocean and the evo models with spring loaded jaws are a significant upgrade, as they can accomodate modern slim trimlines. However, due to aesthetical reasons, I want my ”new” units to blend in perfectly with my existing 30 year old wavegrips, so these are the only winches I want on board.

I need one small unit (approximately size 16-30) and a pair of mid sized winches (46, 48, 52, preferably 52..)
A little patina is totally okay, and I don’t mind doing some serious cleaning and greasing, but I don’t want to buy worn out units with broken teeth or missing parts.

I’m located in Oslo, Norway. Anything available locally? If not, I’d appreciate if you are willing to ship abroad.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

best regards,
-kjetil-
Still looking for these?

I have two 52's and two 43's in Gothenburg.

best regards
Håkan
wergeni is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar, winch