Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2021, 15:59   #1

Boat: KHSD Cruising Catamaran 30'
I need a chunk of mast: Isomat NG-37

I'm hoping to find a 5' (1.5m) piece of Isomat NG-37 mast. Part of that would be adding a bit of length to the bottom of a mast and part for the sleeve.

Preferably it would be west coast of North America, but beggars can't be choosers. I'm looking for, if you don't have direct knowledge of that mast's location, of possible yards to call that may have a collection of older masts. I'm hoping if I can find this chunk it could just be wrapped in bubble wrap and cardboard and stuck in the mail. I think the size is within limits. I'm up in NW Alaska.

These masts were on several of the popular older boats in the 30' range, give or take a few feet. The website gives a list: https://www.rigrite.com/Spars/Isomat.../NG37_mast.php . I have tried calling Rigrite and have left messages. No human yet. I have also contacted EB Spars in Quebec but no response yet. My mast was in fact off a Beneteau.

Also, I wasn't sure if I should post this here or perhaps in another forum, perhaps such as the Deck Hardware: rigging and etc..

thanks for looking! Jim
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-10-20 at 14-56-40 Isomat NG37 Mast.png
Views:	70
Size:	200.2 KB
ID:	247129  
Hunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 17:14   #2

Re: I need a chunk of mast: Isomat NG-37

Rigrite is not a model of customer service - but - I've still had good experiences with them, I just needed to adjust my expectations... I would keep trying to call and in parallel, scour the West coast for salvage boat yards.
Jake Tanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 17:22   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Torresen Marine in Muskegon, Michigan has lots of bits of old masts. They may even be able to offer you an entire whole mast as a refit starter.

Many Caribbean yards might still have leftovers fro the 2017 hurricanes.

Check this on the CF
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3499619
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2021, 19:35   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
Torresen Marine in Muskegon, Michigan has lots of bits of old masts. They may even be able to offer you an entire whole mast as a refit starter.

Many Caribbean yards might still have leftovers fro the 2017 hurricanes.

Check this on the CF
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ml#post3499619

Thanks for the tips guys, really appreciate it!
Old 21-10-2021, 16:36   #5

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Try eBay.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 17:13   #6
cruiser

Hola,

You might search Seattle CL as I just saw an ad for a bunch of used masts/booms/rigging from a boat recycler/wrecking yard located in the northern Washington state town of Lynden. Maybe worth an email or phone call at least.

Good luck and Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2021, 22:36   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Hola,

You might search Seattle CL as I just saw an ad for a bunch of used masts/booms/rigging from a boat recycler/wrecking yard located in the northern Washington state town of Lynden. Maybe worth an email or phone call at least.

Good luck and Safe Journeys,
~Jeb

Thank you Jeb! I had discovered that place in Lynden I think - sailboatwreckingyard.com . It looked like he hadn't updated the website for a couple years so wasn't sure if he was still in business. I did email, but yes, I should give a call as I haven't heard back and he does warn against emails. /jim
Old 22-10-2021, 15:01   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luvboats View Post
Hola,

~Jeb

I gave that place a call and he doesn't keep part numbers/brands so looks like someone would have to run through the masts by hand to see what's there. That would be a crap shoot.. maybe if I'm down that way this winter some time..
Old 22-10-2021, 21:50   #9
cruiser

Hola,

Sorry for sending you on that goose chase. I saw his ad on Cl and he had some pics but, as you suggested, they were of piles of masts and booms that didn’t appear to be well organized but did appear to be many different styles and shapes . If I was closer, I am in Seattle, I would go take a look for you. Maybe some nice Cf member up that way will do you a solid and go take a quick peek.

Safe Journeys,
~Jeb
Luvboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 03:14   #10

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

It seems kind of difficult to find sections of old masts. I have dabbled in this because I have to add 6 feet to mine also. Have you considered having a piece of aluminum bent around to the same shape as the mast?

I have been considering this myself. Maybe even go up a size with the aluminum since it’s a base only.

Just curious what your thoughts are on that.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2021, 12:18   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
It seems kind of difficult to find sections of old masts. I have dabbled in this because I have to add 6 feet to mine also. Have you considered having a piece of aluminum bent around to the same shape as the mast?

Just curious what your thoughts are on that.

I have not considered that.. nobody here in this outpost would be able to do that - at least in a manner I might trust (bending alloy can weaken it - you need to know what you are doing I think). Never thought of it.. maybe if you are located where there are talented people who can, if you need help.

What I have considered was a carbon stub. I was all set to do this, and even made the plug of the inside of the mast in order to make a mold. The plug would be for the insert part of the mold - the part that goes up inside. I made this by laminating a few layers of fiberglass about 20" up from the bottom of the hull. Next step would be to lay up glass over the mast and plug to form a mold. This would have to be in enough different sections to be able to remove from the hull - in my case I would have to make 4 sections due to the shape. In a simple oval, 2 sections would be fine, ending up with 2 half molds. Build in flanges for vacuum bagging the carbon halves, and build in tapers where they join so you can add thickness at the joins.

I was lucky enough to have an engineer take pity on my predicament and gave me some skin thicknesses I would need for the carbon. It would include layers of uni and some biaxial, and basically meet or exceed the thicknesses of the mast alloy. Any other masts would probably require someone knowledgeable to come up with the engineering. Another consideration is insulating the carbon from the alloy to avoid electrolysis. I was hoping a few layers of glass before the carbon would work at the insert part of the stub. I still am considering this, but there's lots to wrap your head around. I built my boat so am very familiar with vacuum bagging.. but this is a bit above my experience, not having really worked with carbon before.

Same engineer gave me some plans to build a complete plywood skin mast which I also considered. Uses a 4mm plywood I beam with 4mm frames glued to the I-beam with 3mm gaboon (Okoume) ply skins.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mold.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	247237   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210818_185922624_v1.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	189.9 KB
ID:	247238  

Tags