Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-12-2016, 08:29   #31

Boat: 1973 Easterly 36
Re: Harbor Freight 3 Burner Propan Stove with Broiler

Just two weeks ago a fellow forum members boat was severely damaged due to a fellow boater improperly using a pellet stove (yes a pellet stove) on a boat. The resulting fine sent the man to the hospital and damaged a number of near by boats.
Old 18-12-2016, 00:33   #32

Boat: 30' wooden Schooner

I've got one New in the box ! I bought it & never even unpacked it. If someone is interested I'm in central New York. It's small enough to ship so make me an offer !
shon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2016, 06:15   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Just two weeks ago a fellow forum members boat was severely damaged due to a fellow boater improperly using a pellet stove (yes a pellet stove) on a boat. The resulting fine sent the man to the hospital and damaged a number of near by boats.
That was a really stupid mistake hope all turns out OK for everyone.
But what does that have to do with a cooking stove ? ( which should in my opinion never be left unattended regardless of fuel type)
Old 19-12-2016, 08:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
That was a really stupid mistake hope all turns out OK for everyone.
But what does that have to do with a cooking stove ? ( which should in my opinion never be left unattended regardless of fuel type)
Yes it was very stupid, and no it won't turn out ok. The man skipped town and apparently didn't have insurance. Even if he did I bet they'd fight pretty hard to prove that he used the stove in breach of his contract as it didn't meet applicable safety standards.

It has everything to do with it. Showing how using appliances not according to their directions and explicit warnings poses a very serious risk not just to ones self but others as well. If you're using one of these stoves, say the regulator goes bad like mine did in the cockpit. Burns the boat to a crisp in minutes and damages numerous neighboring vessels. Do you think your insurance is going to cover you when you were using products against all instructions and warnings?

Flame out sensors, thermo-couples, and quality (fail to safe or intrinsically safe) regulators and any other safety features are required safety equipment not just there to make the item more expensive. Many of the people that use these don't even have propane sniffers that shut off the propane flow!!!

Use these as intended up on deck with nothing overhead or for picnics ashore. But by all means don't use them below decks. I know people do and some get away with it for years, but they are dangerous to use that way. I don't think your insurance will cover the liability of damage to other vessels from an accident by gross negligence and a owner ignoring all manufacturer directions and warnings.

Origo stoves are ton safer than these and not much more money. Used you can find them free (someone upgrading to proane) or very cheap.
Old 19-12-2016, 08:14   #35

The way the OP wants to use the stove in question is a big safety concern. I keep seeing some trends for cheaping out like this that I don't feel are ok to encourage or pursue in any way. I feel the OP should be informed that yes although many people choose to use them this way it isn't common and shouldn't be considered ok. Just like many people use heaters incorrectly and against instructions and kill themselves on boats or campers too.

I know I wouldn't want someone using one of these next to me at the dock.
Old 19-12-2016, 10:05   #36

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Excuse me if I had posted this before. I went back to the OP and it said made specifically for HF. That means it is junk. I you can find an advertise lure for a name brand and they can find it in the store buy it. If not the product is ?
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:11   #37

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzstar View Post
This is from seadreaming's signature, above:"If toast always lands butter side down, and cats always land on their feet, what would happen if you strapped toast to a cat's back and dropped it? - Steven Wright"

But what if you strapped the cat to the back of the toast instead -would you not have less cat fur in your butter? For those of you who may be concerned, I would not do either to my cat, although I am sure there are times when she might do it to me.

What if you strapped the toast to the back of a Tri?
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2016, 10:29   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
What if you strapped the toast to the back of a Tri?
Depends on point of sail. Ddw it will help a lot it trying to go to weather it won't help any . But then again it may. Lol
Old 22-12-2016, 07:04   #39
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for all the constructive and well intentioned responses.
That said, I'm not looking for advice, I'm looking for this particular stove as posted originally.
SecureDelivery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 08:01   #40

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkSF View Post
All the stoves discussed so far in this thread appear to have the gas bottle attached to (or installed inside) the stove. If this is the case, they have no place inside a boat.
Apparently this photo was taken moments before this Volvo 65 burst into flames. Surely none of them survived sailing around the world like this . . .

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.Galley-LPHrm.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	75.6 KB
ID:	138364

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 11:43   #41

Yea those are great for use inside shouldn't be a problem. They are the sterno type "stoves" along the same lines as an origo except instead of wadding the alcohol is bound in a gel. They work great and I use them in my seaswing stove all the time.

The type being talked about here uses pressurized propane in the green tanks or with adapters to a regular LPG tank. Keep in mind the potential energy in one of those green propane tanks is the same as a stick of dynamite.

Some call me crazy because I still use the old pressure alcohol stove in my boat. Knowing how to use them well and keeping them in good order isn't hard for me. I know I can use it safely. Why on earth anyone would choose to use one of the camp style pressurized propane units inside a boat when everything from the manufacturer says not to is beyond me. That's literally insane. You sir are a danger to your guests and crew and your neighbors at any dock you visit. It just proves the adage, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think."!

My advice if you want a stove on the cheap is ask around if anyone has an old pressure alcohol stove they don't want. I've also found a few next to dumpsters at the boat yard. Just make sure you know what your doing and how to use them. They will be much safer than what you're proposing to do. You may use the stove a few years with no problems or the regulator may let go and shoot 10ft flames out the top in the first year. You just never know what you'll get when going with the cheapest bidder and no built in safety controls.

On that note, good day to you all I've said my peace.
Old 22-12-2016, 11:52   #42

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

They are not "sterno type". Pressurized propane cylinders that are the standard on Vendee and Volvo boats. I used to race with one. They are great and shockingly I am still alive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Jetboil-MiniMo-1020.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	138373  

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2016, 11:58   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
Yea those are great for use inside shouldn't be a problem. They are the sterno type "stoves" along the same lines as an origo except instead of wadding the alcohol is bound in a gel. They work great and I use them in my seaswing stove all the time.

The type being talked about here uses pressurized propane in the green tanks or with adapters to a regular LPG tank. Keep in mind the potential energy in one of those green propane tanks is the same as a stick of dynamite.

Some call me crazy because I still use the old pressure alcohol stove in my boat. Knowing how to use them well and keeping them in good order isn't hard for me. I know I can use it safely. Why on earth anyone would choose to use one of the camp style pressurized propane units inside a boat when everything from the manufacturer says not to is beyond me. That's literally insane. You sir are a danger to your guests and crew and your neighbors at any dock you visit. It just proves the adage, "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him think."!

My advice if you want a stove on the cheap is ask around if anyone has an old pressure alcohol stove they don't want. I've also found a few next to dumpsters at the boat yard. Just make sure you know what your doing and how to use them. They will be much safer than what you're proposing to do. You may use the stove a few years with no problems or the regulator may let go and shoot 10ft flames out the top in the first year. You just never know what you'll get when going with the cheapest bidder and no built in safety controls.

On that note, good day to you all I've said my peace.
When I was 6 or 7, I loved the smell of breakfast and the alcohol stove. It was time to roll out of the bunk. It had a distinctive smell.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil