Cruisers Forum
 


Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2022, 12:21   #1
Registered User
 
svMarite's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch
Posts: 250
Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

New in box. $100 +s&h

Never used. F-i-L never put it in his boat. Cleaning out his garage.
Sold AS-ISClick image for larger version

Name:	20220926_151553.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	264994Click image for larger version

Name:	20220926_151604.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	63.6 KB
ID:	264995
__________________
Smooth sailing and fresh warm breezes,
Tony & Lisa
sv Marite
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 17:49   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 21
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

I sent a private message, I hope.
lyledank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2022, 20:03   #3
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 7,251
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

I think that is a very old one that does not meet current ABYC "Failsafe" requirements or it would be marked "Failsafe" on the box. Like these Guest units that were discontinued https://www.fisheriessupply.com/gues...tinued/4531001
__________________
If you're not laughing, you're not doin' it right.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 14:37   #4
Registered User
 
Pearson365Guy's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Gulfport, MS
Boat: Pearson 365 Ketch
Posts: 46
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

There are tons of things being sold on here that don't meet ABYC requirements. You gonna go and make a post on all others that aren't also? Why dunk on the mans post? He has it listed "As-Is"
Pearson365Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 14:39   #5
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 7,251
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearson365Guy View Post
There are tons of things being sold on here that don't meet ABYC requirements. You gonna go and make a post on all others that aren't also? Why dunk on the mans post? He has it listed "As-Is"
People should know what they are buying for safety reasons.
__________________
If you're not laughing, you're not doin' it right.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 17:39   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2021
Location: Portland, OR
Boat: Cascade 42
Posts: 141
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
People should know what they are buying for safety reasons.
they should, and it is on them to do so.
pdx_sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 18:47   #7
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 7,251
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdx_sailing View Post
they should, and it is on them to do so.
And few are informed and need a little help.
__________________
If you're not laughing, you're not doin' it right.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 18:51   #8
Registered User
 
svMarite's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: New Bern, NC
Boat: Shannon 43 Ketch
Posts: 250
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
I think that is a very old one that does not meet current ABYC "Failsafe" requirements or it would be marked "Failsafe" on the box. Like these Guest units that were discontinued https://www.fisheriessupply.com/gues...tinued/4531001

Maybe the packaging is not "failsafe" either - it meets or exceeds all ABYC standards - right on the package.


Like I said, it's an older unit found in my in-laws garage that he never put on his boat...It's still a perfectly good isolator and would work just fine for a smaller boat. You don't have to always be all "latest-n-greatest"
__________________
Smooth sailing and fresh warm breezes,
Tony & Lisa
sv Marite
'87 Shannon 43' Ketch
svMarite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2022, 19:04   #9
Marine Service Provider
 
boatpoker's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Port Credit, Ontario or Bahamas
Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Posts: 7,251
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by svMarite View Post
Maybe the packaging is not "failsafe" either - it meets or exceeds all ABYC standards - right on the package.


Like I said, it's an older unit found in my in-laws garage that he never put on his boat...It's still a perfectly good isolator and would work just fine for a smaller boat. You don't have to always be all "latest-n-greatest"
It met standards years ago before it was realized that failure renders them uselss and quite possibly dangerous if one loses ground continuity.
Read about it here.
https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...%20your%20boat.
__________________
If you're not laughing, you're not doin' it right.
boatpoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2022, 05:14   #10
Nearly an old salt
 
goboatingnow's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Lefkas Marina ,Greece
Boat: Bavaria 36
Posts: 22,801
Images: 3
Re: Guest 30amp Galvanic isolator

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
It met standards years ago before it was realized that failure renders them uselss and quite possibly dangerous if one loses ground continuity.
Read about it here.
https://www.boatus.com/expert-advice...%20your%20boat.


I made my own. I donít bother with fail safe as I have multiple RCBO in circuit so Iím not concerned if the earth opens anyway. In my case Iím using 4 diodes on series each way to give better leakage protection and each foods set is duplicated for redundancy.

No need for fail safe. ABYC avoid whole boat RCD devices for far too long and their definition of safety defies logic at times.
__________________
Interested in smart boat technology, networking and all things tech
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
galvanic isolator

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Changing Boat from Single 30amp to Two 30amp Off 50amp Spliter johnar Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 7 13-07-2017 14:44
For Sale: Marinco 30amp 125/250v to two 30amp 125v Y adapter Ferrari General Classifieds (no boats) 0 12-06-2017 15:30
For Sale: Guest 2100 Battery Switches & Isolator bad.wabbit Classifieds Archive 2 23-03-2015 18:47
For Sale: Battery Isolator Guest 2401A idanno Classifieds Archive 0 02-08-2014 07:57
Galvanic Isolator Testing Sunspot Baby Electrical: Batteries, Generators & Solar 9 05-10-2007 11:47

Advertise Here


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 20:45.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.