Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2021, 22:01   #1

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Groco SV series valves to use as patterns to cast new rubber plugs

Seems a lot of folks have searched (unsuccessfully) high and low for no-longer- available rubber "plugs" to rejuvinate otherwise sound Groco SV series seacocks. I'd like to try molding new plugs but need some to use as patterns or measure to make molds since mine are all currently busy keeping the sea out of my boat

Does anyone have some old Groco SV series seacocks laying around they'd be willing to sell (or better, donate to the effort)? I'm specifically looking for 3/4" and 1-1/2", but would give any of them go to develop the process. After I machine molds, narrow the right compounds to use and solve adhesion challenges/technique to bond to the handles... yeah, for the time and effort, I certainly could replace with all new ball valve seacocks, but I like a challenge and keeping old stuff going. I'd likely consider this an "open source project" and share my method (if successful)

Thanks kindly,
Pete
Bellingham, WA
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2021, 12:12   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 37
Re: Groco SV series valves to use as patterns to cast new rubber plugs

Pete, if you do manage to do this I would love to put in an order for a set of them. Mine still work great but it would be nice to have a set of replacements. I am shocked nobody is making them.
Lazerbrains is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2023, 11:36   #3

Re: Groco SV series valves to use as patterns to cast new rubber plugs

I would be interested in helping with this project. I have 5 on board and don’t want to replace them either. I have one spare plug that I could send you next year when I arrive in Seattle from New Zealand.

Keven
SVPallasAthena is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
plug