Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-06-2018, 15:23   #16

Re: GaleRider Storm Drogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
OK I’ll bite, I’m aware of the hole in the rudder, but that leaves three more, care to educate?

Sorry I'm sure you know the obvious.

Well I can use the helm,emergency tiller,auto pilot, hole in the rudder,balance the sails..(advantage of full keel) and then when all is lost I can drag the gale rider.
Also figured out a system using large vice grip and 4 blocks on the rudder post to steer from the rear lazarette entry.
I've never even heard of anyone losing helm control on Island Packets as the steering uses no chain or belts etc.
Eder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 15:50   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
GaleRider Storm Drogue

I’ve never seen an emergency tiller on an IP either though. Course I don’t know about the newer IPs with standard sized wheels and a comfortable seating position.
You have a picture?
Also assumption is since an IP is a simple rack and pinion, anything that causes the helm to not work also will prevent the autopilot.
Most logical failure I can see is somehow the rudder gets jammed.
I don’t know the one in a million whale strike when it’s surfacing and does so just under the rudder or other crazy unlikely event, like a log between the rudder and hull somehow
Killer whale attacks the rudder etc.
I actually think there was one that would do that in the NW wasn’t there?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:41   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I’ve never done it. I’m pretty certain however that a rudder stuck hard over can’t be overcome, just an opinion.
Not an opinion it happened and was discussed on here about 5 years ago. A really sad story of a couple sailing across the Atlantic hit something about 800 miles from their destination in the Caribbean. The impact bent the blade rudder shaft when the rudder was hard over. Despite a month drifting slowly towards Bermuda, 350 miles at the nearest point they couldn't free the jammed rudder. A storm threatened and they decided to jump ship to a freighter. The skipper had previously done half a dozen Atlantic trips so must have been heart breaking to abandon the yacht.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018, 16:59   #19

Boat: KP 46

GaleRider is sold,
Thanks folks,

M
captmikem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2019, 09:18   #20

Is the Gale rider still available?