Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2021, 11:21   #1
Marine Service Provider

Fwiw...

Just thought it worth mentioning that again this year, sailboatowners.com is running a holiday promotion for signed copies of my book...they sell it, I sign and mail it. Price is $18 + $3.16 for 1st class postage.

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2021, 12:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Fwiw...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Just thought it worth mentioning that again this year, sailboatowners.com is running a holiday promotion for signed copies of my book...they sell it, I sign and mail it. Price is $18 + $3.16 for 1st class postage.

https://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?53615

--Peggie
If I buy one will it tell me how to find an unfindable smell in my forward head? I have new hoses, new holding tank, new larger vent, new head and new through hull for the overboard drain. Have stuck my head and hands into every hole and locker and bilge area in that head and can find nothing. Even removed the new head and checked and cleaned under the head in case there had been a leak there. Felt around all the hoses, connections and valves and can find nothing.

I open the locker where the holding tank is and no smell. I open the door that covers the valves and the holding tank drain and no smell. I stick my head in the bilge next to the through hull and no smell. But I close the door to the head, come back in a couple of days and it smells like the old outhouse at my grandfather's farm.

I think the smell is coming from below, based on an experiment. I taped around all the doors and lockers in the head, closed the window and the dorade and the door. Came back in a couple of says and smell mostly not there. My guess is stopping air flow and ventilation prevented smell from somewhere under the head from venting up into the head?

Any guesses?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 21:32   #3

skipmac,

Odor might be coming from contaminated wood. I have that issue right now. All head plumbing and fixtures are gone, but when temps are high and humidity is high, there is still subtle head odor.

The other observation I had is that my raw water strainer, which had sat for months full of seawater and organic matter, had gone anaerobic, giving off the hydrogen sulfide odor, which was damn close to the old head odor. In both scenarios, the odor was most prevalent in the bilge.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:58   #4

Try spraying with vinegar. Initially it will smell like a pickle factory but vinegar lifts away scent as it dries. Also has the added benefit of killing mildew. No harm in it in any case
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 03:19   #5

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Try spraying with vinegar. Initially it will smell like a pickle factory but vinegar lifts away scent as it dries. Also has the added benefit of killing mildew. No harm in it in any case
This will kill your odors. I know from experience

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 06:52   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Will give the vinegar a try. I do keep a one gallon jug of white, distilled vinegar for general use, epoxy clean up and odors.

By the way, retained odor in the wood might be contributing but the odor after a few days is far from subtle. There's more going on than odor absorbed into the walls and such.
Old 08-12-2021, 06:53   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by scherzoja View Post
The other observation I had is that my raw water strainer, which had sat for months full of seawater and organic matter, had gone anaerobic, giving off the hydrogen sulfide odor, which was damn close to the old head odor. In both scenarios, the odor was most prevalent in the bilge.
I have the same problem with water in the faucets after sitting unused a few weeks. First turn it on and get the sulfur odor for the first few seconds until the line flushes. Think it's time to treat the tanks and lines again.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:40   #8

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Will give the vinegar a try. I do keep a one gallon jug of white, distilled vinegar for general use, epoxy clean up and odors.

By the way, retained odor in the wood might be contributing but the odor after a few days is far from subtle. There's more going on than odor absorbed into the walls and such.
Try putting a bowl(uncovered) in the bilges. Leave it there for as long as possible. The oder will disappear

I days gone by. Wmonen used to put a miniture pitcher of vinegar out in the smoking room after the men had retired there and puffed their cigars and sipped their cognac. It cleaned the air in there overnight

Works on a car that has been smoked in. Close it up put an open bowl of vinegar on the floor and leave it for a week. Smoke oder will be gone
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 07:45   #9
Marine Service Provider

If the odor is confined to the head, the shower sump is a likely culprit...odor escaping through the shower grate.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote