Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2017, 15:16   #1

Furlex Type B Mk II Roller Furler

This is the Furlex furler from my 35' sailboat. This unit is not new, but it is in good working condition. This is the perfect furler for someone who has a 28' - 35' sailboat that is used to knock around the bay and is just tired of going forward for sail changes. If you are handy, can make rigging measurements, and can rig a compression type wire terminal (this is explained in detail in the manual), you should be able to equip your boat with this roller furler at a fraction of the cost of a new unit.

To give you an idea of the size of sail this furler handled, on my 35' boat, I=38' 10" and J=13' 11" and I kept a heavy 120 on the headstay. I used this sail in typical South Texas air which is between 10 and 30 knots, mostly 25 knots. As a result, it is safe to say this is a strong furler.

The overall length of the foil for this unit is 40' 8". That will accommodate a jib with a 39' luff. Obviously, the foil can be cut to handle a shorter stay and/or smaller sail. My headstay was 9/32" Dyform wire and I have two extra wedges and formers for that size wire. According to the manual, this furler can be used with 6mm, 7mm, or 8mm wire, although you will have to get the appropriate wedge and former for the wire size that you use.

I have the 1/4" green fleck Sta-Set furling line, which is included in this offer, that is long enough to reach the stern of a 35' boat and control a sail with a 20' foot. The clevis pin at the bottom of the furler is 1/2" and I have a 6-1/2" extension, which is included in the offer, that attaches to the toggle to raise the unit off the deck. The shackles that were used to attach the head and tack of the sail to the furler are missing. (FYI, I used locking screw type shackles instead of the snap shackles shown in the manual.) Otherwise, everything that is pictured in the first photo below along with the Assembly and Operation Manual and the Spare Parts List manual are included in this offer. The wire stay is not included in this offer, although I do have that available as well.

This used furler is offered for $120US plus shipping to an address within the continental US. The furler is located in Corpus Christi, Texas. I prefer payment by USPS Money Order. I plan to ship this unit in two containers, 1) a 102" x 6" heavy PVC pipe for the foil sections, 2) and a suitable cardboard box for the remaining items. A ROUGH ESTIMATE of shipping to a destination within the continental US is $70. The actual shipping cost may be more or less than $70. My guess is that two suitable screw type shackles for the head and tack of the sail can be had for $50. That makes an estimated total cost of $240 for a roller furler which is roughly 1/10th the cost of a new Furlex 204S.

If you have an old boat that you enjoy banging around local waters and want an inexpensive headsail furler for it but don't care about looks, send me a PM, because this unit is perfect for you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1200
Size:	394.7 KB
ID:	149485   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	672
Size:	413.0 KB
ID:	149486  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	259
Size:	403.9 KB
ID:	149487   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	404.9 KB
ID:	149488  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	1148
Size:	406.1 KB
ID:	149489   Click image for larger version

Name:	6.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	402.7 KB
ID:	149490  

Old 16-07-2017, 21:31   #2

Re: Furlex Type B Mk II Roller Furler

I am interested in purchasing. Please contact me.
Old 16-07-2017, 22:30   #3

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

That's a very good price if the unit's bearings are in good shape. Someone should snap it up!

Jim
Old 20-07-2017, 07:36   #4

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

rb
Did zuer buy the furler???
If not, I post a resounding and public "I'll take it!" Pls respond in thread w/details .
Old 20-07-2017, 08:31   #5

Thank you for your kind reply to my post. I have found a supplier for the part I needed and will not need the entire item.
Old 20-07-2017, 10:10   #6

OK Deltaten, thanks for our interestr. The original party has changed his mind and will not be purchasing the furler. To be fair, there is one person ahead of you. I will contact him today.
Old 20-07-2017, 21:55   #7

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

Thank for the reply. Awaiting decision.
Closed Thread

Tags
furler, roller furler