Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2021, 19:43   #16

Boat: Del Rey 50
Re: Cold weather sailing gear

Tomodore, that is very interesting! sounds toasty warm
Adventuresail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 21:45   #17

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

Thanks for the positive feedback, the vest I had was 45 watts and the 12 volt outlet was in a cockpit cubby. IT would not be good if the boat is being swept by big waves in a storm. But for most sailing it worked fine for me. Again most of us are already clipped in with a harness and lanyard alone on watch on a cold night. One more cord is not ideal but when the heat is under your foulies it is a beautiful thing. 45 watts works out to under 4 amps and there is an adjustable control so it is not on all the time. Of course no risk of shock at that voltage. They are marketed to motorcyclists and originally for fighter pilots if my memory serves. We sail in the tropics now so I am 20 years out of date on the products now.
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 21:53   #18

Boat: Ta Shing - Baba 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomodore View Post
Thanks for the positive feedback, the vest I had was 45 watts and the 12 volt outlet was in a cockpit cubby. IT would not be good if the boat is being swept by big waves in a storm. But for most sailing it worked fine for me. Again most of us are already clipped in with a harness and lanyard alone on watch on a cold night. One more cord is not ideal but when the heat is under your foulies it is a beautiful thing. 45 watts works out to under 4 amps and there is an adjustable control so it is not on all the time. Of course no risk of shock at that voltage. They are marketed to motorcyclists and originally for fighter pilots if my memory serves. We sail in the tropics now so I am 20 years out of date on the products now.
45 watts is not too bad. Certainly a lot less energy than would be expended by a heater vent to keep an enclosed cockpit warm. I bet it makes a huge difference. For reference, if memory serves an adult male puts out about 120 watts. So, that 45 watts I take it is in addition to proper sealing from rain and wind and insulation from the cold? Are the jackets built with insulation and waterproofing?
Old 13-04-2021, 05:49   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

For one trip & to keep costs low-how about a set of commercial fishing basic bib & jacket "oil clothes" rubberized water/wind proof.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/RainSkins-C...8AAOSwRWddyOMt

Use polypropolene (ski ) underwear & layers of wool/fleece as reqd.

Good insulated comm. fishing work gloves & good insulated Comm fishing all day rubber boots with real wool or goretex socks.

You will be travelling in 40-60deg F air temp with wind most of the time offshore. Cheers/Len
Old 14-04-2021, 05:59   #20

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Another good commercial brand-Grundens

https://grundens.com/shop/collection...-bib-pant-500/

Tags
gear, sail, sailing, weather