Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > General Classifieds (no boats)
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2021, 17:25   #1

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Cheap/free dock space? Boatmoving? ... i know, but just in case

Posting on the vague chance someone might have cheap or free dock space and/or a way to move my sailboat asap please

26' Grampian
8' beam
3' draft
No cradle
On the ground near Kingston Ontario Canada (more below)

Destination Ottawa Canada not too long from now (possibly Toronto briefly first) but I'm rearrangable in between here and there, because I just have to get her in the water

Budget… a genie in a bottle would be useful but I've got to work this out… not really expecting to find cheap, let alone free, but if I don't ask, then for some reason there'd be something

Due to an unfortunate boatmover story (in the welcome forum, scene 1 take 2), and because she's my first boat and i thought the boatmover knew what he was doing, she's unstable and has way too much weight and stress where it shouldn't be, wrong stands, placed badly, with blocks underneath

She's at a farm between Gananoque and Brockville in Ontario Canada

So far the only person who might possibly be able to move her (because she's not on a cradle and there's no way to get one under her here) can't until July 8

Been looking for somewhere to launch, also dock space to stay a bit to at least clean and tidy (just got her, can't touch her the way she is, living aboard when I launch… other work can wait but cleaning would be nice)

Really concerned about her hull because of the stands being the wrong sort and placed badly (added timber props, and blocks, and proper stands coming Friday to add)… she needs to stop arguing with gravity and get in the water ASAP

…………….
Apologies for previous vague and unclear post, and thanks to the people who pointed it out to me… further apologies because I couldn't figure out how to either edit or delete it
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 17:49   #2

Re: Cheap/free dock space? Boatmoving? ... i know, but just in case

You would have better luck calling marinas in the area.

Also, Toronto isn't "on the way" to Ottawa. That would be quite a detour from Gananoque / Brockville.
NaClyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 18:21   #3

Marinas are full, been glued to my phone looking... That or they don't do sailboats

Right, Toronto isn't geographically on the way to Ottawa ...going there first would be for personal reasons
Old 18-06-2021, 06:34   #4

Ann,

Why are you going to Ottawa to go "South"?

Why not just go across to Oswego, then Oswego/Erie Canal to Troy, NY on the Hudson, down the Hudson and short hop to New Jersey/Cape May and the start of the Intercoastal Waterway (interior route South).

Enquiring minds want to know...
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:10   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Ann,

Why are you going to Ottawa to go "South"?

Why not just go across to Oswego, then Oswego/Erie Canal to Troy, NY on the Hudson, down the Hudson and short hop to New Jersey/Cape May and the start of the Intercoastal Waterway (interior route South).

Enquiring minds want to know...
LittleWing77
Toronto to wake a friend who died recently

Ottawa to make trouble, things to finish... I walked there from Calgary and set up the climate emergency camp at the PMO winter before last, raising awareness about the climate crisis... Will finally deliver the petition that was part of that and wrap up that chapter properly.... Will be some more activist stuff while there, then south... she's
becoming The Climate Emergency Sailboat... I've changed over the facebook page from the walk and camp, working on setting up blog and fundraiser and support group

Also still waiting for my passport, but still have to do these things before going south
Old 18-06-2021, 14:12   #6

Boat: 24ft Bristol Corsair
Send a message via MSN to brendanwalls Send a message via Yahoo to brendanwalls Send a message via Skype™ to brendanwalls

Is it possible to get from anywhere in the Great Lakes to Oswego instead of crossing the borders multiple times?
brendanwalls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 19:29   #7

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Buy a season's pass for the rideau canal, then you can stay at any of their docks. The same pass includes docks at the 1000 islands national park (cedar island near kingston, milton, etc)...all included. Its a great deal. And of course, this pays for all the locks to get you to Ottawa, and you could probably stay canal side when you get there (but I don't really know).

Season's pass is $8.99/foot x 26 feet = $233

https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/lhn-nhs/on/r...it/tarifs-fees

There's tons of dock space at every lock. And easy/free anchoring in the lakes in between. This is a nice way to get to ottawa. Leave your mast behind and pick it up on your way back south.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-06-2021, 19:45   #8

That is a very good idea, yes......... And I suppose leaving the mast would make more sense than stepping and unstepping it over and over, and living around a horizontal mast half the time

QUOTE=hamburking;3430371]Buy a season's pass for the rideau canal, then you can stay at any of their docks. The same pass includes docks at the 1000 islands national park (cedar island near kingston, milton, etc)...all included. Its a great deal. And of course, this pays for all the locks to get you to Ottawa, and you could probably stay canal side when you get there (but I don't really know).

There's tons of dock space at every lock. And easy/free anchoring in the lakes in between. This is a nice way to get to ottawa. Leave your mast behind and pick it up on your way back south.[/QUOTE]
Old 20-06-2021, 20:09   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post
Marinas are full, been glued to my phone looking... That or they don't do sailboats

Right, Toronto isn't geographically on the way to Ottawa ...going there first would be for personal reasons
Trent Port Marina in Trenton is half empty.
Old 20-06-2021, 20:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Trent Port Marina in Trenton is half empty.
Thank you Boatpoker, I'll remember that too!
Old 20-06-2021, 21:14   #11

Boat: 50' navy utility trawler conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Buy a season's pass for the rideau canal, then you can stay at any of their docks. The same pass includes docks at the 1000 islands national park (cedar island near kingston, milton, etc)...all included. Its a great deal. And of course, this pays for all the locks to get you to Ottawa, and you could probably stay canal side when you get there (but I don't really know).

There's tons of dock space at every lock. And easy/free anchoring in the lakes in between. This is a nice way to get to ottawa. Leave your mast behind and pick it up on your way back south.
Good idea. But the season pass doesn't include docking. Adding seasonal dockage costs about $10/ft.

Kingston Marina might be a good place to launch and clean up before heading towards Ottawa. No affiliation but they seem to cater to budget-conscious cruisers.
Jeff F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2021, 09:41   #12

Boat: Pearson 365 ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendanwalls View Post
Is it possible to get from anywhere in the Great Lakes to Oswego instead of crossing the borders multiple times?
Yes- start on the US side! Then go in the canal at Buffalo. Not sure how that helps the OP though...
Svsumurun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cheap, dock