Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-06-2021, 08:24   #1

Location: My sailboat (currently in Ontario Canada, heading south imminently)
Boat: G26
Cheap/free dock space? Boatmoving?

Suddenly and unexpectedly need to get this sailboat in the water... Boatmover didn't know how to deal with a sailboat and it's my first boat so I didn't know better

A ridiculous long shot I know but if anyone has space for and a 26' Grampian (with me on board) for a little while, that would be beautiful

Even longer shot... Can anyone move a Grampian 26 asap???

She and I are both on the ground at my friends' farm halfway between Gananoque and Brockville... Not picky about where except in terms of how the distance affects cost
Ann Cognito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 09:00   #2

Re: Cheap/free dock space? Boatmoving?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Cognito View Post

She and I are both on the ground at my friends' farm halfway between Gananoque and Brockville...
This is an international forum.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2021, 09:02   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is an international forum.
Oops, duh, of course... Apologies, I'm frazzled... Thank you, Shrew

Halfway between Gananoque and Brockville -- in Ontario, Canada!
Old 16-06-2021, 09:14   #4

Boat: Century Raven 17'
Send a message via MSN to BugzyCan

Looks like this is the kind of trailer you need to locate.

BugzyCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 16:01   #5

Boat: Knysna 440 once I get my new dock and the canal gets dredged

Quote:
Oops, duh, of course... Apologies, I'm frazzled... Thank you, Shrew

Halfway between Gananoque and Brockville -- in Ontario, Canada!
Depending on your final destination, it might be better to leave it where it is until the pandemic eases and the borders open. What's the hurry? Is the boat sitting in your friend's favorite melon patch? Should someone have an empty spot, posting your draft might be helpful. Though I wouldn't move it until you can get it to the final destination. Loading a boat onto a trailer is most of the work and you don't want to pay to have it done twice.
joelhemington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 16:12   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
Depending on your final destination, it might be better to leave it where it is until the pandemic eases and the borders open. What's the hurry? Is the boat sitting in your friend's favorite melon patch?
Sorry again... Due to an unfortunate boatmover story (in the welcome forum, scene one take two from Kingston) she has too much weight and stress in bad places, so instead of working on her here, she needs to get the weight and stress off and get in the water

Will get used to her wherever I can and tidy her up and then Ottawa (possibly Toronto briefly first for something personal)... Later, re-do the bottom and go east, then south
Old 17-06-2021, 16:33   #7

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

This post is very common on the forum, many problems and very little information. What is your budget, what is your plan once the boat is in the water, is the boat damaged, how far are you away from the water ? Do you plan on anchoring the boat or docking at a marina ? Free dockage is very hard to come by.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 16:57   #8

You're right and i apologize... I can't figure out how to edit it so I'll write a new one, and remove this, imminently

(Not really expecting to find cheap, let alone free, but if I don't ask, then for some reason there'd have been something)
Old 17-06-2021, 17:11   #9

Recommend purchasing a suitable trailer have a crane lift it from its hardstands to place it on the trailer, and then drive to a boat ramp to launch. She is a small day cruiser easy to transport with a full size pickup truck. I don't know how well balanced the trailer will be, I had a MacGregor 25 of comparable size and I could pick up the tongue of the boat with one hand when the boat was on the trailer, but I could not budge the trailer from the ground if the boat was off the trailer. Note that these trailers that are common to Gramps only have four hardstands to keep it from tipping over and almost all the weight is carried by the supported keel. The hardstand jacks are not placing much stress on the hull. With a trailer you can then readily transport where ever you like and can remove it back to the farm for the winter.

It did help to disclose that it was in Canada, kind of narrowed that done a tad, Eh. Ontario, is that in California.

Good luck.

Reference:

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2021, 19:23   #10

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

Sorry, you will not find a free or even cheap dock anywhere from Kingston to Brockville. If it existed, I would keep my boat there. It is every boat owners dream to have a free dock.

Also, just about every marina in the area will require proof of insurance, $2,000,000 Liability. This is not so easy (or cheap) to get on a 50 year old boat. Most insurance companies will want a current survey...and what does that cost now...$25 per foot?

I have met people who buy a season's pass for the 1000 islands National Park (the parks islands) because its much cheaper to stay in the islands than pay for a marina. However, you have to move your boat to a different dock every 3 days. And there are no services or stores, nothing.

You can ANCHOR! A friend kept his sailboat on a home made mooring in Dupont Bay, west Kingston area. There is a breakwall that protects the area. However, no services, nothing there, just a road (Front Road).

Another possible anchorage is the Cataraqui River, just north of the Lasalle Causeway bridge. A big steel sailboat actually spent the winter there (in the ice) and is still there now. Its well protected, and there's lots of places to take a dinghy ashore. Spend a few dollars on a really big anchor and a hard dinghy and you may have a viable option.

Another possibility is a place called Casey's Island. Its actually a peninsula of crown land on Colonel By lake, just north of Kingston. Its accessible via the Rideau canal, by going through just one set of locks at Kingston Mills. Mast down. Being crown land, no one will bother you. And the adjacent municipal park gives you parking and road access.

Living on the hook can be cheap, but its also a tough life...rowing ashore every time you need water, food, or just to be off the boat.

As for moving the boat...why not get the same guy who put your G26 in the field in the first place?

I had my 25 foot sailboat moved to my driveway (in the fall) and back to the marina (in the spring). It cost $300 or $400 each way, but that was a few years back.

For comparison, you can keep your G26 at Confed, downtown Kingston. Right downtown with all the restaurants, stores, groceries, festivals and bars just a few steps away. Including HST and 15amp power, it'll cost you just over $100 per foot for the season. You've got 26 feet. You do the the math. I knew several boaters who kept their boats there as a cottage in downtown Kingston and never ever left the dock.

IMHO, the best and cheapest way to keep your boat in the summer is to be cruising. You can anchor each night for free. The occasional "day dock" like the free docks at Gan, Clayton, Cape Vincent, etc, allow you to restock once in a while. Also, join a yacht club and get reciprocal privileges. Clubs like the Wilson Island Yacht Club cost around $100 per year, and get you free docks (for a night) at lots of other clubs around the lake.

Best of luck to you.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 07:50   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Sorry, you will not find a free or even cheap dock anywhere from Kingston to Brockville. If it existed, I would keep my boat there. It is every boat owners dream to have a free dock.

Also, just about every marina in the area will require proof of insurance, $2,000,000 Liability. This is not so easy (or cheap) to get on a 50 year old boat. Most insurance companies will want a current survey...and what does that cost now...$25 per foot?

I have met people who buy a season's pass for the 1000 islands National Park (the parks islands) because its much cheaper to stay in the islands than pay for a marina. However, you have to move your boat to a different dock every 3 days. And there are no services or stores, nothing.

You can ANCHOR! A friend kept his sailboat on a home made mooring in Dupont Bay, west Kingston area. There is a breakwall that protects the area. However, no services, nothing there, just a road (Front Road).

Another possible anchorage is the Cataraqui River, just north of the Lasalle Causeway bridge. A big steel sailboat actually spent the winter there (in the ice) and is still there now. Its well protected, and there's lots of places to take a dinghy ashore. Spend a few dollars on a really big anchor and a hard dinghy and you may have a viable option.

Another possibility is a place called Casey's Island. Its actually a peninsula of crown land on Colonel By lake, just north of Kingston. Its accessible via the Rideau canal, by going through just one set of locks at Kingston Mills. Mast down. Being crown land, no one will bother you. And the adjacent municipal park gives you parking and road access.

Living on the hook can be cheap, but its also a tough life...rowing ashore every time you need water, food, or just to be off the boat.

As for moving the boat...why not get the same guy who put your G26 in the field in the first place?

I had my 25 foot sailboat moved to my driveway (in the fall) and back to the marina (in the spring). It cost $300 or $400 each way, but that was a few years back.

For comparison, you can keep your G26 at Confed, downtown Kingston. Right downtown with all the restaurants, stores, groceries, festivals and bars just a few steps away. Including HST and 15amp power, it'll cost you just over $100 per foot for the season. You've got 26 feet. You do the the math. I knew several boaters who kept their boats there as a cottage in downtown Kingston and never ever left the dock.

IMHO, the best and cheapest way to keep your boat in the summer is to be cruising. You can anchor each night for free. The occasional "day dock" like the free docks at Gan, Clayton, Cape Vincent, etc, allow you to restock once in a while. Also, join a yacht club and get reciprocal privileges. Clubs like the Wilson Island Yacht Club cost around $100 per year, and get you free docks (for a night) at lots of other clubs around the lake.

Best of luck to you.
Hello Hamburking
I know that's true about dock space, just had to ask… Wouldn't have to be near here, really, even… not holding my breath but you never know… i do hope I'm not being too frustrating by asking here

Insurance… yeah… ugh… (insert many rants, most with valid counter-rants, accompanied by far too many political, philosophical, and sociological tangents)

Thank you for your anchorage etc suggestions, very much… have to make a list of those and mark them on a map

I don't mind the awkwardness of unusual ways of living… I've been living in a tent for a lot of the past couple years, and been moving a lot… lived places where I had to carry water… lived off grid a bit… I'm a gypsyhermit

Wouldn't trust the same boatmover again… considered it, but bloody lucky Skoro survived him once... Might have found someone, not quite sure yet, will update

Wanting some sort of dock space is just so I can clean a bit and whatnot… haven't done anything and won't here (except the bottom paint)... Don't want to live at a marina, that's not what boats are made for, just wanted a small piece of time somewhere sort of attached to land to start… but if not, s'alright

You're so helpful, Hamburking… i really do hope I get to meet you and the other helpful people I'm 'meeting' here
Old 18-06-2021, 08:00   #12

Quote:
Sorry again... Due to an unfortunate boatmover story (in the welcome forum, scene one take two from Kingston) she has too much weight and stress in bad places, so instead of working on her here, she needs to get the weight and stress off and get in the water

Will get used to her wherever I can and tidy her up and then Ottawa (possibly Toronto briefly first for something personal)... Later, re-do the bottom and go east, then south
So you're telling us you have a 50 year old 26' boat that's structurally so weak you can't keep it on the hard and you want to put it in the water? OMG This sounds like a lot more than just tidying her up to me. The tipping point on this boat is less than 10,000 loonies. Spend more than that and you could have replaced it for one with good structural bones and close to sailing condition. Don't mean to be harsh but the cheapest place to park this heap would be at the bottom of Lake Ontario. Good luck redoing the bottom if the boat is so weak it can't be hauled out and set on the hard. It sounds like you're going to be a lot more than merely frazzled by the time you resolve all the issues with this boat.
Old 18-06-2021, 08:16   #13

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelhemington View Post
So you're telling us you have a 50 year old 26' boat that's structurally so weak you can't keep it on the hard and you want to put it in the water? OMG This sounds like a lot more than just tidying her up to me. The tipping point on this boat is less than 10,000 loonies. Spend more than that and you could have replaced it for one with good structural bones and close to sailing condition. Don't mean to be harsh but the cheapest place to park this heap would be at the bottom of Lake Ontario. Good luck redoing the bottom if the boat is so weak it can't be hauled out and set on the hard. It sounds like you're going to be a lot more than merely frazzled by the time you resolve all the issues with this boat.

Brand new boats don’t like to be stored incorrectly.
Older boats don’t like to be stored incorrectly.
Boats of any age have issues when you store them with stands in the wrong place.

I completely disagree with the negative tone in this post.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2021, 08:42   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfelsent View Post
Brand new boats don’t like to be stored incorrectly.
Older boats don’t like to be stored incorrectly.
Boats of any age have issues when you store them with stands in the wrong place.

I completely disagree with the negative tone in this post.
Well... you could be right. We don't really know how the boat is being supported at this point. If the guy just dumped it in the middle of the field on it's keel, the boat might well be capable of being stored properly on the hard. This story sounds too much like all the ones we get where a noob acquires a cheap/free boat and attempts to restore it to it's original glory. While it may be a cool dream for the OP to get a small boat and sail around the great lakes, the realty of making that happen can be quite harsh. I didn't mean to sound negative but I hate seeing people getting lost in the never ending rabbit hole of trying to restore an old boat and having it cost ten times what the boat is worth in the end. If it turns out the boat is structurally sound, fine then go for it. But if not, then it is irresponsible for us to suggest moving forward knowing what we know regarding the cost of boat repairs.
Old 18-06-2021, 09:00   #15

Blocks under the keel (a board across the top of the blocks), 4 powerboat stands, placed too far under, 4 timber props I added, also blocks stacked at one area... Proper stands coming from Marine Outfitters today

Yes, I'm idealistic and should have known better. A few marinas and boatyards recommended him.
I thought that someone who's been moving boats for years, and who said he could do it, and was recommended, would know what he was doing

I apologize for an annoying post, but I won't be sorry about being an idealistic new person and believing in things that can be possible. I'm not going to be discouraged, but thanks for trying

(Honestly, if i could figure out how to delete this post I would, though)

Tags
boat, cheap, dock