Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-11-2017, 13:01   #1

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Chartkits 2 and 3

We think we're doing the east coast this summer.

We have electronic charts but we also like having the chartkits available.

Who's gottem? I sold mine when I thought I wasn't going to use them a couple of years ago for $25 shipped, but know that others may have different ideas about what's appropriate.

Thanks.

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 13:42   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Chartkits 2 and 3

Skip-
The nice thing about paper charts, is that paper rarely crashes. Tolerates low batteries and electrical failures pretty well, and works cordlessly. The Chartkits are much better than they were 40 years ago, since they can be all digital in the production process these days, and they no longer suffer from "tombstoning" and the other distortions caused by mechanical copying, which they used to have.
I find the bigger pages beat all heck out of scroll scroll scroll zoom zoom scroll...But maybe I just need a chartplotter with a 26" monitor?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2017, 03:42   #3

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Chartkits 2 and 3

Hi, HS!

Well...

I actually like the paper. I have never been able to integrate the CD/DVD to anything. My helm is a Raymarine C120Classic, and uses Navionics, which is very good in the US (but NOT so much some other places).

However, I *do* have a 24" monitor at the nav, on which I display my OpenCPN, which I hear MIGHT integrate chartkit electronic media. However, for the US, I have the NOAA charts...

In any event, when I was hunting around for something anyone might be selling, I found that I had acquired a venerable version of #3 that was in new condition that I had offered for sale a few years ago. And, since I had it for sale, I presumed that I also have a more recent version.

I'll have to dig in my chart locker and see what I really DO have. However, I do have the recollection from the last time that I never got the furthest north kit. This past weekend at the SSCA annual meeting in Melbourne, I picked up the companion books (guides) to #s 2, 3, 4, so at least I'd have some local recommendations as to what to do and see.

So, I for sure need #2; I'll try to remember to come back about whether I can scratch #3!
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote