Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2018, 14:38   #91

Boat: C&C 30MK1 And charter boats. IWT World keelboat instructor.
Re: Weed

Right now for us in Canada, the biggest challenge is having a clear and efficient way to determine the level of impairment.
Unlike Alcool winch can be measured in blood, THC ( Active ingredient in pot ) can not be measured. And it stays in your blood well after the effects ( buzz ) are gone.
Any such test will most probably be fought in court as invalide or inconclusive. Field sobriety test seem to be the closest thing we have right now. And legally it will be very easy to fight them in court.
But In my opinion, people want suddenly start driving or operating vehicles stoned because pot will be legal. Stoners are already dribving stoned just like drunks are already driving drunk.
As a skipper I would not put the life of my crew and the safety of the boat at risk by using alcool or pot as I am under way. While at anchor I do proper diligence and check for weather predictions and proper anchoring before I indulge in anything that can affect my abilities as a sailor.

After all almost all of the nights I spend at anchor are smooth. The few that get rough, I knew would be coming or might be coming. I don't need a law or a government are an other sailor telling me how I should act.
Thats called levelling from the bottom up.
My 2 cents.
As for the original question, I would not try and cross a border with any quantity of illegal substance. Would not recommend it at all.
Old 20-02-2018, 15:03   #92

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagman101 View Post
But In my opinion, people want suddenly start driving or operating vehicles stoned because pot will be legal. Stoners are already dribving stoned just like drunks are already driving drunk.
We shouldn't allow driving at all; problem solved. It's an inconsiderate way to travel. The places I visited without cars were better off for not having them.
Quote:
As a skipper I would not put the life of my crew and the safety of the boat at risk by using alcool or pot as I am under way.
You realize every substance that you put into your body affects your judgement. Many people have inferior judgement from years of breathing the exhaust fumes. Others have reduced mental capabilities from poor diets. We could probably make those illegal too.

There is not a clear distinction between what is a drug, and what is a food. Certain drugs are proven to increase awareness for a time, and then inevitably crash, so what about those?
Old 20-02-2018, 15:45   #93

Boat: 32 contessa

What no pot at anchor ,,, what next no sex ?

dang think im going back to camping in the bush with a tent !.
Old 20-02-2018, 15:45   #94

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Originally Posted by poiu View Post
As to using dope in the third world, check out the film Midnight Express. It’s old, but I don’t believe things have changed a bit.
I was just thinking about that movie. It used to be "required" viewing if you were thinking about travelling abroad. These days people are way too casual for my taste when it comes to dealing with borders and border guards. Even going into places like the U.S. any "rights" you think you have get thrown out the window when dealing with customs.
Old 20-02-2018, 15:54   #95

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
The US Constitution was ratified in 1788. The US Civil War was from 1861 - 1865.

Don't confuse a secession, with 'trying to iron things out'. We were unified country....a number of states attempted to secede....they failed. The civil war didn't unify a disparate collection of independent states.

I’m aware of the timeline and I’ve read the constitution. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that states may not unilaterally secede. That issue was clarified with Force Majeure, aka the Civil War.

What was written in the constitution was subject to conflicting interpretations about the extent of the the federal government’s preeminence and frankly still is to a certain extent; hence the somewhat tortured reading of the commerce clause that allows the Federal government to police local and even private cultivation and use of cannabis.
Old 20-02-2018, 16:24   #96
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Forget right and wrong for a moment. I don't actually care about that much one way of the other in this case. The practicalities make the case:
  • The Feds won't ever make it legal. For example, it is still illegal for a truck driver in all 50 states.
  • I can't imagine wanting to explain this to the USCG or customs anywhere.
  • There is effectively no restriction n the USCG right to search and seizure. It's different than dry land.
  • And finally, 2 ounces isn't going to last long if you are going far. You'll have more that that. Oh dear.
That the OP even brought this suggests he's had too much.
Old 20-02-2018, 17:56   #97

Boat: Bene 42CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
I watched a wife tear into her husband when their two week vacation in the BVI's was ruined when Customs found half an ounce of weed in his luggage and made them take the next flight back to the US.
That’s like smuggling oranges into Florida.
Old 20-02-2018, 19:08   #98

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
Plenty data showing it is the case.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.f4ac1060b8be

Still really not a good idea though.
Meh...thats hardly definitive.
Old 20-02-2018, 19:39   #99
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Meh...thats hardly definitive.
If you don't want to find it, you won't.

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?h...+driving&btnG=

https://s3.amazonaws.com/academia.ed...ical_and_E.pdf

No way can it be thought of as a good idea though.
Old 20-02-2018, 19:39   #100

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Johnny Fever’s reaction time test on WKRP was a classic.
Old 20-02-2018, 20:29   #101

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

Great question to ask OP.

So much hate and misunderstanding about marijuana.

There are two major types of cannabis plants used for 'medicine' (Sativa = aware active high vs. Indica = couch lock tiring buzz).

My favorite is when daily drinkers look down on pot smokers as 'dope' heads. We don't judge beer drinkers like the town drunk and I sure wish drinkers could show us the same courtesy. A hell of a lot more people smoke than you think, they have just been in the shadows because the greatest risk to smoking marijuana is getting caught with it. They are self employed, running their own small business, work remotely, contract, etc. Even some of the 'gasp' corporate america types.

All the science points to marijuana being extremely safe and no calories. Smokers are also less likely to be overweight despite your impression that they live at home in their parents basement and eat all day. How anyone thinks of America as 'free' when you can't grow and smoke a flower for your own pleasure is beyond me.

Should be common sense to not eat a large amount of THC then go driving or whatever that requires coordination or math. If you can't see the difference then you probably shouldn't do any drugs. THC is measurable in edible form. It's the smoking of the flower that can catch you off guard. We aren't smart enough to understand and measure its quantities and effects on everyone yet.

Smokers can judge level of impairment at least as well, if not more so that other drugs. Don't assume that just because you smoke or ate once or twice you are all knowing. It's like anything, the more you do it, the more you understand how it affects you. Drunks are famous of OVER estimating their skills (and looks).

To the OP: Consider oil products and a Vape pen. That's my plan. Much easier to blend in with tobacco products. Much more discreet and almost odorless.

Going country hoping you have to consider a lot of things, including can you pay your way out and how much does it cost to replace the boat.

I think the best offense is to not look like a pot user to begin with. There is a well established stereo type and generally a negative impression about it's use. America would rather sell you high profit prescription drugs so the laws are very slow to change from the status quo, no matter how stupid and harmful those laws may be.

My comments are not directed at anyone, just society at large.

Good luck.

-Chris
Old 20-02-2018, 21:44   #102

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingScot View Post
Great question to ask OP.

There are two major types of cannabis plants used for 'medicine' (Sativa = aware active high vs. Indica = couch lock tiring buzz).

My favorite is when daily drinkers look down on pot smokers as 'dope' heads. We don't judge beer drinkers like the town drunk and I sure wish drinkers could show us the same courtesy. A hell of a lot more people smoke than you think, they have just been in the shadows because the greatest risk to smoking marijuana is getting caught with it. They are self employed, running their own small business, work remotely, contract, etc. Even some of the 'gasp' corporate america types.

All the science points to marijuana being extremely safe and no calories. Smokers are also less likely to be overweight despite your impression that they live at home in their parents basement and eat all day. How anyone thinks of America as 'free' when you can't grow and smoke a flower for your own pleasure is beyond me.

Should be common sense to not eat a large amount of THC then go driving or whatever that requires coordination or math. If you can't see the difference then you probably shouldn't do any drugs. THC is measurable in edible form. It's the smoking of the flower that can catch you off guard. We aren't smart enough to understand and measure its quantities and effects on everyone yet.

Smokers can judge level of impairment at least as well, if not more so that other drugs. Don't assume that just because you smoke or ate once or twice you are all knowing. It's like anything, the more you do it, the more you understand how it affects you. Drunks are famous of OVER estimating their skills (and looks).

To the OP: Consider oil products and a Vape pen. That's my plan. Much easier to blend in with tobacco products. Much more discreet and almost odorless.

Going country hoping you have to consider a lot of things, including can you pay your way out and how much does it cost to replace the boat.

I think the best offense is to not look like a pot user to begin with. There is a well established stereo type and generally a negative impression about it's use. America would rather sell you high profit prescription drugs so the laws are very slow to change from the status quo, no matter how stupid and harmful those laws may be.

My comments are not directed at anyone, just society at large.

Good luck.

-Chris
Well lets say you are high as a kite on anchor and something happens... say some pothead crashes into you and holes your boat. You need a clear head. Please don't anchor near me bro. I don't want lung cancer from breathing in your smoke.
Old 20-02-2018, 22:16   #103

Boat: 32 contessa

[QUOTE=FlyingScot;2582045]Great question to ask OP.

I agree 100%

as i watched my wife go thru the cancer battle I hope more and more get educated aboyt the benifits and not the BS ,,,

Thanks for your post ITS GREAT ,,
I hope one day you anchor next to me ,,

I cook a mean rack of ribs in BBq Sause buddy ,,happy to share

Rob
Old 20-02-2018, 23:18   #104
rbk

Boat: T37

With Alaska recently legalizing recreational use I was curious and looked into it and spoke with some locals about the situation. The main issue is that all coastal waterways and air traffic are federal durisdiction and still illegal to transport (at anchor may be a grey area) This has created a problem in South East Alaska as all pot must be tested and sent to a testing lab to verify the content prior to sale to the general public...but with most SE communities only accessible by air or water it makes this virtually impossible to legally have their product tested in Juneau (I believe) last I heard they had some variance for air transport but who knows. Being a non resident I won’t have anything to do with it crossing the border (or any border) and not on my boat either. Getting deported and never returning would be a best case scenario in most countries; death penalty or lengthy prison term in a third world country prison are the other options. Better off to try and buy it where you’re heading. Something as simple as having to cross through a sovereign nations waters due to weather or navigation error and being boarded for whatever reason is good enough reason to leave it at home. That said some boundaries get stretched on the water and it could be your drug smuggling word against a boat full of coasties/immigration/customs etc. Could get away with it for years could get busted first entrance. Home country is one thing, respect other countries laws cause it’s not just possession crossing an international border.
Old 21-02-2018, 00:23   #105
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Gentle people.

The battle started. It was a matter of time. The mods removed a lot of posts. If you cannot refrain from using bad language or cursing at each other... DO NOT POST. Seriously.

This is a private forum and the owners do not want it on CF. PLEASE READ THE RULES.

Thanks.
Closed Thread