Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2012, 20:17   #1

Boat: Brewer 44
Using a go-ped as island transportation?

I have been kicking the idea of getting a go-ped, aka a skateboard w/ a weed waker engine.

The price is the same or less then a folding bike, and they take up less space.

May not be 100% "legal" some islands, but doubt anyone will say much.

Can put a 5 gal bucket on the deck to carry my goods from town.

Any thoughts on using one vs a folding bike in the islands?
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2012, 21:27   #2

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Even the manual kick the ground with one foot, versions are pretty handy. I have owned both, and we decided the battery versions are soft on power sometimes. The manual versions only get tired, if you do. They are pretty helpful getting around. The larger wheels glide over bumps better.

This one has a huge front wheel, but it increases the safety factor, and reduces fatIgue to the driver.

http://www.kickbike.com/easydata/cus...ree.bk.600.jpg
Old 18-11-2012, 21:59   #3

Boat: Farrier, F-44SC, performance cruising cat
Re: Using a go-ped as island transportation?

go peds are really unpleasant for others to hear. In making a decision, noise pollution is a real thing to consider.......at least for the islanders. Health reasons are another consideration. Exercise is a good thing for cruisers.
vientoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 03:54   #4

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryMayo View Post
Even the manual kick the ground with one foot, versions are pretty handy. I have owned both, and we decided the battery versions are soft on power sometimes. The manual versions only get tired, if you do. They are pretty helpful getting around. The larger wheels glide over bumps better.

This one has a huge front wheel, but it increases the safety factor, and reduces fatIgue to the driver.

http://www.kickbike.com/easydata/cus...ree.bk.600.jpg
But they don't seem to foldup for storage and have very limited carrying space. How would this be better than a standard folding bike?
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 04:09   #5
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Whatever you decide to get needs to be able to handle rough roads--asphalt patches, potholes and loose gravel.
Old 19-11-2012, 04:14   #6

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post
May not be 100% "legal" some islands, but doubt anyone will say much.
They are either illegal or regulated like automobiles (requiring registration, license, etc) in many Eastern Caribbean islands. I have a friend who was arrested in Grenada riding one without license. He spent the day in jail and the goped was confiscated.

They are unusual enough in these places that they attract attention from authorities, even while hundreds of unregistrated and unlicensed mopeds zip by them unnoticed and unbothered.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 06:15   #7

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"
In China they had bikes with battery motors that were recharged when you pedaled. Perhaps there is an similar scooter somewhere?
Old 19-11-2012, 07:23   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

I've seen islands that prohibit use of bicycles that weren't imported (duty paid).. couldn't imagine a gas powered machine
Old 22-11-2012, 18:03   #9

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by frank_f

But they don't seem to foldup for storage and have very limited carrying space. How would this be better than a standard folding bike?
It is not better, just another alternative to a bicycle. It is in some ways, more exercise, it is in some ways, more fun. A person can peddle 100 miles or more on a bicycle, doubt you could do that comfortably on a kick cycle. But for shopping, tooling around malls, shops, stops, the kick cycle is a blast.

A three wheel version is available where you slither like a snake, and you keep both feet up.
Old 23-11-2012, 04:21   #10

Boat: Simonis 50

We have 2 off road versions on board and really enjoy them. They are not only fun but also handy scooting about doing minor shopping. Most of the people we encounter are intrigued by them and seem to enjoy looking at them. However, we are careful where we use them as they are not street legal.
svrevelations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 05:22   #11

Boat: Brewer 44

I was talking about the ones that are basically a skateboard w/ a folding handlebar and a weed-waker engine.

While yes I agree they can be annoyingly loud, I think that is mostly at higher RPMs and with a modified pipe.

In a lot of Bahamian islands I go to, there are plenty of locals on very loud dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.
We, the unwilling, led by the unknowning, are doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, we are now qualified to do anything with nothing. Semper Paratus!
Ocean Roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 06:26   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Roads View Post
I was talking about the ones that are basically a skateboard w/ a folding handlebar and a weed-waker engine.

While yes I agree they can be annoyingly loud, I think that is mostly at higher RPMs and with a modified pipe.

In a lot of Bahamian islands I go to, there are plenty of locals on very loud dirt bikes and 4 wheelers.
"Locals" being the operative word. As I said, it is more an issue of taxes being paid than noise HYMMV