Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2018, 17:41   #1

Boat: L42
Upgrading Scuba Gear - DIN or Yoke on Regulator?

I am finally getting around to updating my dive gear. I am debating between DIN or Yoke for the Regulator. I hope to using this with my own compression in a few years, but will also be getting my tanks filled with Nitrox when and where convenient.
I do plan on the Med, Caribbean and the Pacific. Any opinions from those of you who have traveled these Areas? I am tempted to just go with DIN and get an adapter.

Thanks in advance
[emoji16]

Steve
Steve_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 18:19   #2

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116
Re: Upgrading Scuba Gear - DIN or Yoke on Regulator?

How are you going to recharge your tanks?
I have a 120vt 3rd lung. Once you get used to the tail (hose), it's okay.
They also make floating gas compressors but, I want to keep the quantity of gasoline onboard to a minimum.
I also have 3 tanks BCD and regulator.
Old 13-03-2018, 18:46   #3

Boat: Freedom 38

DIN with an adapter is the way to go, IMHO. I have 2 DIN and 1 Yoke tank. To me, a DIN regulator is a more secure set up and you can easily adapt to Yoke to fill. You can't do that the other way around, that I'm aware. All EU types use DIN so it's likely to be more commonly encountered, too. There are two types of DIN manifolds though. Not sure what this is called but I have one of each and the adaptors don't always fit the deep one....
gamayun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2018, 18:48   #4

.....the adptors for air/nitrox fills, I meant to say.
Old 14-03-2018, 07:00   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
DIN with an adapter is the way to go, IMHO. I have 2 DIN and 1 Yoke tank. To me, a DIN regulator is a more secure set up and you can easily adapt to Yoke to fill. You can't do that the other way around, that I'm aware. All EU types use DIN so it's likely to be more commonly encountered, too. There are two types of DIN manifolds though. Not sure what this is called but I have one of each and the adaptors don't always fit the deep one....
This is exactly the information I was looking for. I had a feeling this was the case. I will definitely go with DIN for the Reg.

Thank you,
Old 14-03-2018, 07:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olddan1943 View Post
How are you going to recharge your tanks?
I have a 120vt 3rd lung. Once you get used to the tail (hose), it's okay.
They also make floating gas compressors but, I want to keep the quantity of gasoline onboard to a minimum.
I also have 3 tanks BCD and regulator.
Hi Olddan,

I do plan to have a compressor on-board, not sure yet what exact configuration. Since I have a few years left I will keep a close eye out for developments and make my decision at the time.

Since I like Nitrox, I will take advantage of having my tanks filled in areas where its easy and convenient, and use my own compressor with straight air where its not. At least that's the plan! But as we all know, plans can change once they are exposed to reality.

Thanks!
Old 14-03-2018, 07:08   #7

Med, Red Sea, Seychelles, Canaries = DIN. I haven't been yet to the rest of the diving world.
Old 14-03-2018, 08:06   #8

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 39

DIN and an adapter is what I suggest.
Mr O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:06   #9

Boat: Cal-40

Something you need to know about traveling with your own scuba tanks.
So I bought two new tanks in the USA. These tanks happened to be made in Canada but no matter just like all new tanks sold in North America they had a special stamp on them that told dive shops they were made to a minimum standard to be filled with high pressure gas.
Now I take me tanks on my boat to the Caribbean and dive. All is great until I try to get them refilled the first time (Martinique Island) and learn that unless the tanks have the EU stamp NO shop will fill them. I contact the shop back in the USA that sold them to me and they said “yes” it’s true no shop outside of the USA or Canada will refill or even inspect them and the same holds true from the EU tanks that enter America.
So now I drag around two worthless tanks on my boat and invested in yet two more tanks that have the EU stamp of approval so I can get them refilled overseas.
My wife’s regulator is DIN and mine is the older Yoke style. Although the yoke style is tried and true I can see the DIN style is a bit better in so much a security. Most tech divers for example now use DIN because there is a lower chance of failure. Most all modern regulators can be converted back and forth with a yoke or din kit so if you buy one style you can convert it later if you should desire.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 09:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Something you need to know about traveling with your own scuba tanks.
So I bought two new tanks in the USA. These tanks happened to be made in Canada but no matter just like all new tanks sold in North America they had a special stamp on them that told dive shops they were made to a minimum standard to be filled with high pressure gas.
Now I take me tanks on my boat to the Caribbean and dive. All is great until I try to get them refilled the first time (Martinique Island) and learn that unless the tanks have the EU stamp NO shop will fill them. I contact the shop back in the USA that sold them to me and they said “yes” it’s true no shop outside of the USA or Canada will refill or even inspect them and the same holds true from the EU tanks that enter America.
So now I drag around two worthless tanks on my boat and invested in yet two more tanks that have the EU stamp of approval so I can get them refilled overseas.
My wife’s regulator is DIN and mine is the older Yoke style. Although the yoke style is tried and true I can see the DIN style is a bit better in so much a security. Most tech divers for example now use DIN because there is a lower chance of failure. Most all modern regulators can be converted back and forth with a yoke or din kit so if you buy one style you can convert it later if you should desire.
That's great to know! Just another example of the wealth of knowledge here on this forum. It would be hard to find another source that you could go to for all of the unique challenges you face when travelling to so many countries.

Does the same hold true for the South Pacific and Indonesia? Would an EU stamp work in these areas?

Thanks Again to everyone for the input.
Old 14-03-2018, 09:21   #11

Of note:

Quote:
For those traveling to European Union nations, the European Commission (yet another standards setting organization) has adopted EN 144-3:2003 "Outlet Connections For Diving Gases Nitrox And Oxygen" specifying the valve outlet/connector known as M26x2 must be used on dive cylinders containing those gases. The M26x2 outlet is similar in appearance but slightly larger than the DIN outlet, and thus incompatible with DIN fitting regulators. The purpose of this incompatible valve outlet is to force the dedication of cylinders, regulators and fill stations to Nitrox use. There is controversy concerning the M26x2 outlet, with the popular opinion being it fails to address any significant safety or handling issue for Nitrox divers and implementation by the European recreational diving community has been slow.
https://www.divegearexpress.com/libr...s-neck-threads

So in addition to US vs Euro specs, Europe has different specs for air vs nitrox and very specific labeling requirements for tanks with nitrox that you'll want to learn about before going there.
jlcnuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 10:29   #12

Boat: Cartwright 36 Cutter
Send a message via Skype™ to SVTwilight

DIN absolutely. The yoke adaptors are inexpensive...
Old 14-03-2018, 15:43   #13

Boat: Hunter 37c

Do the Bahamas fill AmeriCanadian, tanks or are they restricted to EU. equipment and specs?
nautitrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 20:49   #14

Boat: Pearson 303

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamayun View Post
Sounds like you're describing 200 (5 threads) and 300 (7 threads) bar tank fittings, they're two different lengths/depths so you can fill a 300 bar rated tank on a 300 bar compressor but not a 200/232 bar tank on a 300 bar compressor. Both 300 and 200 tanks will fill on a 200 bar compressor.
The same difference in male side length can be found on the first stage.
sveinung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2018, 22:07   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by sveinung View Post
Sounds like you're describing 200 (5 threads) and 300 (7 threads) bar tank fittings, they're two different lengths/depths so you can fill a 300 bar rated tank on a 300 bar compressor but not a 200/232 bar tank on a 300 bar compressor. Both 300 and 200 tanks will fill on a 200 bar compressor.
The same difference in male side length can be found on the first stage.
Thanks! This sounds like exactly the manifolds I have, but didn't know the details. Good to kmow

Tags
Cuba, gear, regulator, scuba