Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2009, 05:23   #1

Boat: Nordhavn 5740
Underwater Cameras

I see a lot of Acqua 1231 underwater cameras on Ebay. Anybody have any feedback on them? Anybody know of a similar camera with a bit bigger viewing screen? Any other camera suggestions? Thanks
gbanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2009, 15:13   #2
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Nic bought an Olympus 1030 sw, now superseded to 8000

--> Link Olympus Australia | Digital Cameras | Digital SLR | Digital Lenses | xD Cards - Mju Tough 8000 details

It is currently off at the repairers, under waranty.

Its an excellent camera but the door isnt good enough to go under water too often.

About her 10 snorkel with it an error message came up: Card Door Open. Totally jammed the camera up.

Check the camera a forums on the internet before you buy.

There is an underwater housing for these cameras... but why then would you buy an underwater camera that needs an underwater housing?!

IN reality it is good for the boat. We will buy the underwater housing and keep the camera in it.

This is what the website says about the new camera...
Quote:
Waterproof to a depth of 10 metres
Culminating from experience gained in three years and 10 previous Tough cameras, we've optimised every aspect of this camera's construction to maximise its resistance to water pressure, so you can safely use the Mju Tough 8000 for underwater shooting without underwater dive housing equipment. From diving and snorkelling to surfing and waterskiing or other wet places, the Mju Tough 8000's superior waterproofing makes it the only choice to capture everything life has to offer - even when things get a little damp.
I rekon it still needs the underwater housing.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 14:10   #3

I've been looking into the Olympus Stylus 1050 SW and the Pentax Optio W60. I think I'm going to go for the Pentax as it it can take HD video and takes SD memory cards instead of Olympus' proprietary type.

Another option is the Flip Ultra HD camcorder; it's not waterproof but you can get a case for under $50 and then you can take 2 hours of Hi Def video. THe Flip is tiny (can fit in your pocket) and is cheap enough that losing it or having it break wouldn't be too heartbreaking.

The Kodak ZX1 is another HD pocket cam that is "weather-proof". I'm not sure if that means it is sailing-proof but it could do the trick.
scorchio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 14:34   #4

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
If your semi-serious about underwater photography Olympus sells underwater camera cases for some of their digital cameras that are good to 40 meters. If you want to see some examples, all of the underwater shots in our blog were taken with one of these.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 05:58   #5

dive mask + built in camera ...
this is the gadget I got from a captain, after boatsitting for him for 5 weeks ...
it works on a micro SD card and has a small (16MB) internal harddisc ...
it can go to +/- 5 meters deep ...
needs some practice before you get good pics (600 kb), but it works ...
and there will always be ppl watching you, because you do look funny ...
it's nothing more than a gadget ...

beachgirl1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 08:35   #6

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
A glance at my trusty old Nikonos V while reading this thread makes me feel ancient....
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 09:42   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Yeah Sailndive,

Mine is a Sea & Sea Motormarine IIEX set. We must be the only folks left still using film.

I should be getting a DSLR next thursday. A Pentax K20D chosen for its weather resistant seals. I'd love to use it while diving but a housing is roughly $1,500 to $2,500 and I'd still need a strobe.

Rich
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 10:42   #8

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
Check out B&H Photography, I think they can be found on the web. I have one of their housings for an old Nikon Coolpics 5200. It takes great snapshots and can be used out of the water while still in the housing too. The housing is a molded plexi of some sort with all the controls usable from the outside. They seem to have housings for just about every kind of camera I could afford. Most of the gimmicky or cheap "underwater" or "wet" type cameras are only marginal at best. Save your money and get something decent. I also use mine on the boatfor those "outside in the weather" type shots too..........m
Old 16-06-2009, 10:45   #9

We bought an Olympus 725 SW, waterproof to 5 metres and
shock proof for 1.5 metre VERY SATISFIED with it.

Used this camera in december for three weeks every day several
times while snorkling in the Caribean, made perfect pictures.
lampe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 11:26   #10

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Yeah Sailndive,

Mine is a Sea & Sea Motormarine IIEX set. We must be the only folks left still using film.

I should be getting a DSLR next thursday. A Pentax K20D chosen for its weather resistant seals. I'd love to use it while diving but a housing is roughly $1,500 to $2,500 and I'd still need a strobe.

Rich
That price is quite steep!... I went digital for surface stuff and have been very happy with Canon just never got around to looking into the u/w digital cameras or camcorders.

I used to use the old 50 asa film that worked incredibly well - I hated it when they discontinued it back in the 90s...

Happy diving

Sailndive
Sailndive345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2009, 13:07   #11

Boat: Maine Cat 41
We have the Olympus 1030 and it died after several months. We then bought the 8000 and sent the 1030 off for repairs.

When we rec'd the 8000 we read the instructions a bit more closely and they recommend soaking the camera in fresh water for approx. 10 minutes after using it in salt water.

The repaired 1030 and a new underwater housing are due to arrive this week, so we will be able to dive with a camera. Will let you know how the new housing works out.
YOGAO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 03:58   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachgirl1952 View Post
dive mask + built in camera ...
this is the gadget I got from a captain, after boatsitting for him for 5 weeks ...
it works on a micro SD card and has a small (16MB) internal harddisc ...
it can go to +/- 5 meters deep ...
needs some practice before you get good pics (600 kb), but it works ...
and there will always be ppl watching you, because you do look funny ...
it's nothing more than a gadget ...

Thats cool...I'm going to look into it a bit deeper....thanks beachgirl!
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 04:53   #13
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
The Liquid Image Digital Underwater Camera Mask
Liquid Image

Cool toy!

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2009, 07:02   #14

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Sealife camera - not recommended

This for a recommendation against: I recently purchased a sealife underwater digitial camera after reading many favorable reviews and have to say after 2 weeks of daily use here in the BVIs, I am so-so about it at best. It uses AA batteries instead of a lithium battery typical of most digital cameras. The batteries frequently need replacing after one snorkel trip and maybe 20 images, even when seldomly using the flash. The biggest problem however, is the very weak internal flash which simply is not strong enough to adequately light the subject even at a distance of only 3-4 feet. Even at their widest zoom, many subjects are too large at that distance.

One thing I recommned is to ask to see examples when seeking evaluations. What one person thinks is fantastic another may think is a so-so washed out mostly monotone image.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 09:56   #15

Hi All,

i have used a Canon G7 with the plastic housing for it and taken wonderful photos with it, had it for two years and only problem I had was last year I used it when being towed behind boat along the surface, 5 mins later noticed water inside, not good.

Took it out and was lucky that I only had three droplets of water inside housing, dried it out, regreased the o ring and carried on again, 10 mins later noticed water in it again, but this time the water was in the battery compartment of the camera, not good.

Dryed it out and tried starting camera, it didn't work. I left it on the dash of the boat for a day(camera outside housing), so hit start button an camera started, abuddy of mine told me that it may have been the the o ring didnt seal because there was no water preasure at the surface.

So I sealed the housing without the camera and it started to leak again at the surface after 5 mins, I dried it again and then dived down about 4m and stayed at the surface with it for an hour with no leaks.

So if your going to be snorckling with any underwater camera duck down with it first.

The G7 is a 10.5 MP camera and has great macro abilities, I have used this camera without flash or lights and gotten great photos, because water did get into camera it has started to play up now and I'm going to get the Cannon G10, anyone had experience with this G10 model.

Regards Terry
ozdownunder is offline   Reply With Quote