Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2015, 18:37   #16

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: TV / Video entertainment options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick & LA View Post
Outside coastal US, streaming is just not a financially realistic option... Broadband is way too limited and expensive... So, what are your solutions to video entertainment?
("You will become a reader" has already been used)...
Is a digital off air antenna and standalone DVR (TiVo) the best option?

Does that offer you anything in the Caribean, Bahamas, Mexico?

Better options?

Nick

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Media server / laptop, downloaded shows or dvds and hdmi to a flat screen tv works well for us. We have a nas and external hard drives as local backup.

Don't waste your time with any streaming options. We dont watch live tv so cant comment on sat tv options.

We're about to ditch our wdtv live for an intel nuk as our media server. The wdtv used to work well when not connected to the net but is now useless after numerous upgrades.

All 12v, low wattage except for the tv which we run from a small inverter. Laptops also charge from an inverter.

We also use bbc iplayer which downloads locally. Its drm time restricted.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:40   #17

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
For viewing, has anyone considered one of those small portable/mini projectors?
I haven't got one yet but I'm looking for something around the 100 lumen mark.

They usually have an SD socket and some of the newer models can play direct from an USB hard drive. They don't have a great resolution and aren't as clear as a standard display.

I thought they might be quite good in an evening on a dark mooring, especially if you have a few other boats around to join in for a film night.
Projected on a sail on a dark night might be quite effective and a great excuse to get a bottle or two out.

I use ADATA hard drives to store data, audio & video on. They have a rubberised casing designed to take a bashing and they are waterproof to an extent
They are useless unless in a cave. They have poor contrast and cannot deliver good black.

A flat screen tv or monitor work fine, have much better contrast and are able to deliver much better black color.

Although the current crop of cheaper hdtvs are inferior to the now obsolete plasmas.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2015, 18:48   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilBrown View Post
For viewing, has anyone considered one of those small portable/mini projectors?
I haven't got one yet but I'm looking for something around the 100 lumen mark.

They usually have an SD socket and some of the newer models can play direct from an USB hard drive. They don't have a great resolution and aren't as clear as a standard display.

I thought they might be quite good in an evening on a dark mooring, especially if you have a few other boats around to join in for a film night.
Projected on a sail on a dark night might be quite effective and a great excuse to get a bottle or two out.

I use ADATA hard drives to store data, audio & video on. They have a rubberised casing designed to take a bashing and they are waterproof to an extent
I'm sure that would be popular, you pull up into an anchorage after a long trip, settle down to sleep and just as it get's dark, someone starts showing a 'boat in picture theatre' with the Hurricane or Titantic movie right next door. yeah, ok, I'd be in on that.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men