Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-08-2010, 18:36   #1
Marine Service Provider

Travel or Fixed Pole Spear ?

...and so continues my fishing theme. I asked this one on scubaboard, but no response. There seems to be a few spearos around here too, though, so opinions?

The travel ones would be easier to stash...especially when cruising in an area where spearing isn't allowed. But I have a spot in one of my bilges where I could stash a fixed spear. Also, I'd think being a single piece the fixed ones may shoot better. Is this true?

I'm really leaning towards the fixed one. Because the travel ones are WAY more expensive. And because I think I'll primarily be using it while cruising.
If I'm flying somewhere for a dive trip, I think I'd opt for the camera housing and strobes over the spear.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 19:26   #2

Boat: Oyster Mariner 35
We have used both the aluminium screw together travel pole spears and the fixed fiberglass ones.

The aluminum ones just got sold in our yardsale. They were heavy, bent easily, and ours had short tips.

My favorite poles are thicker fiberglass poles (some can be too flimsy) but the tips seem to be the most important part. I look for one with a long thin metal head so that the the tip can easily pierce all the way through the fish before it hits the fatter part of the spear. If the spear and tip are too close together you have to have much more power behind the shot to really get the fish securely on the spear. Also, I found that the tips with the double prongs that spring open after you spear the fish require to much power to be effective. Of course, someone stronger than me may not have these issues.

We haven't had the issues of having to store our spears because they were not permitted yet. Do you think having removable tips would be enough?

Where do you plan fishing/sailing?
Old 16-08-2010, 21:22   #3

Boat: Islander Freeport 36
Why not make your own wooden pole spear? I used to make mine all the time out of a couple size wood poles, just like the poles you hang your clothes on in a closet. Drill a hole in the center of one end for your spear shaft and tip, then shape the wood down about 12" back from the tip. Drill a hole in the rear of the pole for the heavy surgical tubing sling. Sand it all down, and then varnishing with something good. You could even make a two part pole if your wanted with the right hardware. Wood poles are on the buoyant side (which can work to your advantage), but they fit the hand better than metal. With a strong surgical tubing stretched a long way down the pole, you can get the force needed to punch through almost any fish...depending on its thickness. When you make your own spears you can make them any length and thickness you want, and with a variety of tips for any occasion.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2010, 22:18   #4
Marine Service Provider

I've thought about it, but considering all the other work I have to do, and the cost of a fixed spear, it's really not worth it. 6' aluminum fixed spears are only about $35, fiberglass are only $20.
Old 17-08-2010, 15:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
I've thought about it, but considering all the other work I have to do, and the cost of a fixed spear, it's really not worth it. 6' aluminum fixed spears are only about $35, fiberglass are only $20.
But the metal and fiberglass don't have any 'soul' like the hand made wood ones...lol
Old 17-08-2010, 16:10   #6
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiffyLube View Post
But the metal and fiberglass don't have any 'soul' like the hand made wood ones...lol
Since I'm a newb, I'll go with the $20 fiberglass special. After I get caught up on other boat work, and use the spear enough to decide what I don't like about it, then maybe I'll become the next Manny Puig.
Old 17-08-2010, 18:12   #7

Boat: 1966 Buchan 37
Best pole spear

My favorite is the long fiberglass pole spear with the 3 prong paralizer tip, called it my trash stick. No need to go all the way through the fish. Hit them just behind the gill plate close to the spine and they just kind of freeze. I have gotten 30lb. lingcod with mine (don't hunt much anymore). I think this one weighed in at about 20lbs. but it was 30 years ago so I really don't remember.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mighty Hunter.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	411.0 KB
ID:	18526  
Old 17-08-2010, 18:31   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marksman View Post
No need to go all the way through the fish. Hit them just behind the gill plate close to the spine and they just kind of freeze.
Unfortunately, I'm not always as good with the shot. My dinner too often makes it to the dingy still flopping wildly about.
Old 17-08-2010, 18:43   #9

Quote:
My favorite is the long fiberglass pole spear with the 3 prong paralizer tip, called it my trash stick. No need to go all the way through the fish. Hit them just behind the gill plate close to the spine and they just kind of freeze. I have gotten 30lb. lingcod with mine (don't hunt much anymore). I think this one weighed in at about 20lbs. but it was 30 years ago so I really don't remember.
Actually one of my favorite smaller game spear tips was a Trident, and I even had one with five tips...almost guaranteed I was going to eat that day.
Old 17-08-2010, 20:09   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
My favorite is the long fiberglass pole spear with the 3 prong paralizer tip
That's exactly what I got. 6' fiberglass with a 3 prong and a single tip.
Old 17-08-2010, 20:31   #11

grunzster, I just took a peek at your website-you have some great underwater photography posted. What type of camera do you use?
Old 18-08-2010, 04:40   #12

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"
I've got a Ray Oder aluminum travel spear. Works great, FWIW, and stows easily in my cockpit storage boxes.

After a month or so of daily use on our Bahamas cruise, I wanted to change out the flopper shank for the paralyzer tip. . . . Only to find that the threads had become seized up by corrosion and salt. I worked at it with two pairs of pliers for a long time, and couldn't unscrew it. Finally, once back on shore, I used penetrating oil and it came apart easily.

All of which is to say, when you screw in your spear tip, dab the threads with a little anti-seize, or a bit of grease. Might save you trouble down the road. . . .
Cormorant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 06:47   #13

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Since I'm a newb, I'll go with the $20 fiberglass special. After I get caught up on other boat work, and use the spear enough to decide what I don't like about it, then maybe I'll become the next Manny Puig.
Remember a good tip will cost another $20. When I'm in the Bahamas I store the spear (tip and rubber off) on the coachroof, lashed to the handholds. When not in the Bahamas the spear is stored under the forward berth.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:06   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
grunzster, I just took a peek at your website-you have some great underwater photography posted. What type of camera do you use?
Thanks! I have a Canon EOS-40D, but I've been really lazy about posting stuff, so I'm pretty sure all those shots were taken with my old 10D.
Old 18-08-2010, 09:09   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Remember a good tip will cost another $20. When I'm in the Bahamas I store the spear (tip and rubber off) on the coachroof, lashed to the handholds. When not in the Bahamas the spear is stored under the forward berth.
Yeah, no kidding! The tips cost me more than the spear, but still cheaper than any of the travel models.