Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 06:42   #1
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
The Guard

Premiering tonight on the Cdn Global TV Network a dramatization of Canadian Coast Guard life on a new series called "The Guard"

GlobalTV.com | The Guard

It's a work of fiction that's aimed at a younger demographic than most of us ole' farts but non the less entertaining. We (CCG) donated the use of one of our 47 MLB cutters and helo. The base they work from was a set constructed by the producers.
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 12:49   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Rick - I always get a kick out of the Hollywood version of service life / events. My personal "you've got to be kidding" show is 'NCIS.' In my experience the real NCIS is the biggest collection of incompetents on a payroll anywhere...

Old 22-01-2008, 14:32   #3
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Heya Mark

From what I've seen this one is prety sensationalized too! I hear a future episode of "Dirty Jobs" takes place on a USCG cutter. That should be good for a laugh or two!
Old 22-01-2008, 15:45   #4

Boat: 1974 Columbia 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
Heya Mark

From what I've seen this one is prety sensationalized too! I hear a future episode of "Dirty Jobs" takes place on a USCG cutter. That should be good for a laugh or two!
I remember some of the "dirty jobs" I had in the USCG. Shooting the tube, cleaning the bilge, removing clogs from the sewage vac system. I wouldnt want to do any of those again. By the way, shooting the tube is crawling inside an old bouy to chip out all the "sea critters". It has one of the worst smells I have ever witnessed. Even worse than the vac holding tank, if you can believe it. I will be on the lookout for that episode!
stoupidmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 15:45   #5

Boat: Westsail 32
Thanks for the heads up! It doesn't look any worse than other crap and the on the water scenes look they could be entertaining.

Now if I could just figure out what time shows air here in Newfoundland I'll be able to watch - or at least the last half hour if I figure wrong.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 16:02   #6
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amfivena View Post
Now if I could just figure out what time shows air here in Newfoundland I'll be able to watch - or at least the last half hour if I figure wrong.
It's on right now on Expressvu channel 204
Old 22-01-2008, 16:06   #7
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by stoupidmonkey View Post
I remember some of the "dirty jobs" I had in the USCG. Shooting the tube, cleaning the bilge, removing clogs from the sewage vac system. I wouldnt want to do any of those again. By the way, shooting the tube is crawling inside an old bouy to chip out all the "sea critters". It has one of the worst smells I have ever witnessed. Even worse than the vac holding tank, if you can believe it. I will be on the lookout for that episode!
Heya SM

How long were you in the USCG? I'm in my 27th yr and ride a desk now. Your description of shooting the tube brings back a lot of memories and not good ones either. For 6 months I worked ashore in the buoy shop doing exactly that!! Of course that was the days before zebra mussels. It was still stinky and slimy! We had to scrape the cans by hand then prime and paint. I think the worst job aboard ship I had was chipping paint on the floors of tanks with these barbaric devices called, of all things, deck chippers, sort of a cross between a belt sander and a flail. The one job I absolutely hated was painting shore towers!! They were always filled with SPIDERS! Ewe!!

Cheers

Rick
Old 22-01-2008, 16:23   #8

Boat: Westsail 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
It's on right now on Expressvu channel 204
I don't get those fancy triple digit channels. <g>

We get the Edmonton version of Global which sometimes shows at PT and sometimes ET (as far as I can tell). Which means I have to guess which, convert it to MT and then to Newfoundland Time. I called a friend who has digital cable and he said the menu lists it at 11:30.
Amfivena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 15:41   #9
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thumbs up Full episode online

The full episode is online on the Global TV site here.....

GlobalTV.com | The Guard | Video

High speed Internet connection recommended.