Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2012, 06:05   #1

Boat: Tayana 37
Thanksgiving in St Mary's

Hi all! I had a question about going down to St Mary's, GA for Thanksgiving this year. Is it worth the trip? And what is your opinion of Lang's Marina? I'm in Charleston, SC so its not that far (about a day's sail going down the outside). Is it really that good or not? Any info would be greatly appreciated!
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 16:19   #2

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY
Re: Thanksgiving in St Mary's

SUPER fun.... You will ENJOY yourself there.... They go out of their way to make everyone have a great time... From my marina at Fernandina Beach I can see St Mary's..
Make sure you make reservations if you do plan on going down...
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 16:27   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore
St Mary's GA will always have a special place for me. The people are absolutely #1. I literally walked into town at 22-23:00, pulling an 18' Kruger Canoe behind me. They offered me all kinds of conveniences. Not sure how you plan on arriving, but the town has some really nice folks. I left at 04:00 the following day!

While I did not eat there, word is they have some great barbecue also.

Bill
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 17:14   #4

Well, I'm planning on sailing down. I have family that lives there. My uncle is with Electric Boat down there and works on the subs based there. I was planning on leaving Charleston on the 20th to be there by the 21st. Heck, I could probably anchor out and stay at my family's place. Out of curiosity though. This will be my first time there. Where exactly does everything take place? I've had a few people tell me about it, but not a lot of details.
Old 08-09-2012, 17:39   #5

You can google St Mary's and get all the information you want and need....
Old 08-09-2012, 18:38   #6

Thanks! I did and I found what I needed. Anyone have any suggestions on where its best to anchor up while I'm there?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:59   #7

Boat: Nicholson 40 pilothouse sloop I Wanda

Sorry it has taken me a while to respond to your original query... A friend mentioned it but it took a while to get properly registered using a small I-touch. Looks like you are getting the info you need. There is lots of room to anchor in the river. Most charts stop in St Marys but the GA cruising guide shows good depths well up stream be aware there is a finger shoal extending from the first bend in the river above St Marys into the middle of the river a ways. 10 feet low tide to the right (GA side) of the shoal and 15 to 60 feet to the left (FL side) of the shoal. Less current on the GA side.
Let me know if this answers your question. We keep our 40' sailboat in St Marys when not out cruising.
I Wanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:24   #8

Boat: J46

We have done the Thanksgiving event at ST Mary's several times. It is a great party, that starts on Monday or so with daily parties and usually closes with a Nautical Flea market on Saturday. Plenty of room for anchoring in the river. Soft mud so get a good set. Townspeople are very welcoming. Usually 50 to 70 boats with 150 to 200 like minded folks really enjoying themselves. Don't miss it if your passing by on your way south!
Windara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 07:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windara View Post
Soft mud so get a good set.
Well THATS good to know. I've got 3 anchors on my boat, which would you recomend I use: I've got a 35lbs CQR, a 10kgs Manta and an 18 Hooker with 200' of chain.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:54   #10

Use what you feel best with, set slowly so it has a chance to settle in and use all chain if you have it and you should be fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 07:59   #11

Ok. Reason I was asking is becuase I rarely anchor out and wasn't real sure which to use. The Manta is the one that is currently connected to my chain, the CQR is tied down to the boat and the Hooker is in the stern locker. On that thought, would recomend anchoring fore and aft, seeing as how many boats will be anchored there?
Old 12-09-2012, 08:10   #12

The Manta will be fine. I believe it is similar to the Bruce anchor that is no longer manufactured. They generally hold very well in mud in my experience. There is plenty of room to anchor in the river as you will see when you get there. I do not recomend fore and aft. Just anchor in the same fashion as your neighbors so you all swing the same and you will be fine.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:11   #13

Ok, thanks! That answers a lot of questions for me. I appreciate it!
Old 12-09-2012, 16:53   #14

I use a 66lb Bruce and love it.... had my 35lb plow pull one time at Cumberland Island... Fortress can pull out and will not reset if it's covered with mud...
Old 12-09-2012, 17:26   #15

Boat: csy 37

and if you've got the time, don't miss cumberland island. we anchored off the southern end for three days and the northern end for four days. woke up to wild horses walking along the shore each morning...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote