I live on STX, onboard for the past two years. Here are some considerations:
1. You can officially get the Buck Island permit
at the park service
office in the fort in Christiansted (However, I'm confident that not many people actually do). You need to bring along your vessel's paperwork if you choose to take that step.
2. Anchor off the beach on the west end. Anchor fairly close in as further out there is some coral
under the sand and you may have difficulty holding. If you want to do the snorkel park, you should dinghy
in and pick up a mooring
, unless you have a shallow draft
3. Teague Bay is nice, and the yacht club very hospitable, however, if there is big swell from the NNE, as we have had for the past week, it can be extremely rough. I spent time on a mooring at the Yacht Club last year during the Christmas
Winds, and the boat
felt like she was underway.
4. Consider Frederiksted. There is amazing snorkeling at the base of the pier downtown, and Sunday afternoons at Rainbow Beach are just about the best on the island.
5. I'm in Salt River Bay, controlling depth
int this harbor is 6.5 -7 feet, and requires local knowledge as there are no marks
PM if you have other questions.