Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2017, 09:36   #1

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!
Snorkel masks

Hi All,

My girlfriend and I are heading to Hawaii for a few weeks. We plan to do a lot of snorkeling while we are there. We are looking at snorkel masks to make it even easier to drift about while viewing the site below. Does anyone have any information/recommendations for a snorkel mask? There are a lot of different models and they all look about the same.

Thanks for your input!
Kevin
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2017, 10:02   #2

Boat: Wharram Tiki 46
Re: Snorkel masks

Do you mean like this:

I don't think they are any easier than a separate mask and snorkel and you can not dive down to have a closer look at something.
NahanniV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 05:47   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by NahanniV View Post
...you can not dive down to have a closer look at something.
This ^^^^^^

I have not used this type of mask myself, but know others who have. Their reports are that these work fine for floating along on the surface. They do NOT work well at all if you want to dive down into the water -- something that I, personally, do quite frequently when I'm snorkeling.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 06:01   #4
cruiser

I see no reason why it would make any difference.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 06:54   #5

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

If you are the type that needs to manually equalize(pinch your nose) the diving down in these masks is more difficult. If you can equalize thru yawning or jaw movement, then it will be fine.
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 07:30   #6

Boat: Leopard 39 Owners Version

don't get that funky center snorkel full face mask.. get a decent soft skirted, black silicone mask, with good field of view. be sure to clean the glass many times before you go or it will fog.. use baby shampoo or something, even a match will do good to burn the silicone off the glass. Wash the skirt too. Spit in the mask when it's dry and rub the spit all around and then just give it a quick rinse in the sea just before you put it on, that will be better than any anti-fog.
I like these for sight seeing but something similar for less $$ will work also:
https://www.amazon.com/Atomic-Aquati.../dp/B0124L4G6Q
Privleoplag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:08   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I see no reason why it would make any difference.

Way hard to clear the thing and since you breathing into the mask, imagine the fogging issues.

My thought on masks and I have been diving a long time, is this is one of the few items that expense isn’t very relevant. A very good super expensive mask that doesn’t fit right will give you no end of aggravation, but a cheapo that fits good will be great.
If your unsure go to a Dive shop and ask, but generally a good fitting mask is one that you out on your face with no strap, gently inhale through your nose and look at the floor, if it fits, it will stay on indefinitely, caused it’s sealed to your face, and that face seal is what determines fit or not.
Don’t get wrapped into side windows and low volume masks and other stuff, for just fun snorkeling it’s all lipstick on a pig, fit however is the important thing.
It’s not like shoes either, there are way more variables, only mask I have found that fits me is an Atomic, and the small at that, so try many masks, this is something that you do not buy online as a poor fit is almost guaranteed.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 08:44   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Way hard to clear the thing and since you breathing into the mask, imagine the fogging issues.

My thought on masks and I have been diving a long time, is this is one of the few items that expense isn’t very relevant. A very good super expensive mask that doesn’t fit right will give you no end of aggravation, but a cheapo that fits good will be great.
If your unsure go to a Dive shop and ask, but generally a good fitting mask is one that you out on your face with no strap, gently inhale through your nose and look at the floor, if it fits, it will stay on indefinitely, caused it’s sealed to your face, and that face seal is what determines fit or not.
Don’t get wrapped into side windows and low volume masks and other stuff, for just fun snorkeling it’s all lipstick on a pig, fit however is the important thing.
It’s not like shoes either, there are way more variables, only mask I have found that fits me is an Atomic, and the small at that, so try many masks, this is something that you do not buy online as a poor fit is almost guaranteed.
yup, yup, what A64 pilot said. Can hardly add to that, but a good fitting mask, you won't even have to really breath in through the nose for it to stay stuck with no strap.. just shut down your airways and press it lightly against your face without the strap on, should stay right there, no problem.
And if you're wondering about the black skirt, well, vs. a clear skirt, it cuts the glare down.. kinda of like trying to look through a screen door.. cup your hands around your eyes, and alls good.
Old 28-11-2017, 08:46   #9

Oh.. one other thing.. a leaky mask.. some masks are prone to leak because a person pulls the straps too tight.. a good fitting mask, you barely need straps, so keep those straps loose.
Old 28-11-2017, 09:36   #10

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Thanks for the great replies everyone!

We will go to the local dive shop and get fitted for a masks.

I appreciate all the insight. Thanks again!

kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 10:11   #11

These are not for scuba, hookah or free diving.

But I've been a certified diver for 30 years and prefer these masks for casual snorkeling. Most people can't free dive deeper than about 8 ft (nor want to) and do so only for 10 seconds or so to look at a fish or piece of coral. There's no need to adjust pressure then. Nor is there enough air in the mask to make it hard to dive.

I still like my very expensive, professionally fitted scuba mask but prefer these for snorkeling over a cheapie conventional mask.

For people with limited snorkeling experience, these are an even better idea. They don't fog up. You don't need to clear them underwater nor blow out the snorkel. They leak less and fit more comfortably on more face size/shapes than conventional masks . And the wider view is really remarkable.

The only downside, is you look like a tourist rather than a Navy Seal.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 10:45   #12

I recommend you go to a dive shop and try some on. Different faces work better with different masks, especially if you (or your girlfriend!) has a beard or moustache. I like separate snorkels. Get a snorkel that is not too stiff and has some flex.

Most dive shops have masks on sale a lot and they aren't very expensive.
BTW, the water in Hawaii can be quite cold. Think about picking up some "thin skins".

If you are going out on a snorkel boat they will provide fins. If not, even cheap fins make a huge difference when snorkeling. I prefer stretch to fit fins that aren't too huge over any kind of adjustable ones.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2017, 14:50   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
T...
The only downside, is you look like a tourist rather than a Navy Seal.
There ya go. It is ALWAYS about the look, for sure!
Old 28-11-2017, 14:54   #14

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

I bought one and found them to be useless.
Plastic lens continually fogs using traditional spit and rinse.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 23:17   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Privleoplag View Post
yup, yup, what A64 pilot said. Can hardly add to that, but a good fitting mask, you won't even have to really breath in through the nose for it to stay stuck with no strap.. just shut down your airways and press it lightly against your face without the strap on, should stay right there, no problem.
And if you're wondering about the black skirt, well, vs. a clear skirt, it cuts the glare down.. kinda of like trying to look through a screen door.. cup your hands around your eyes, and alls good.

Too true
james247 is offline   Reply With Quote