Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 12:19   #1
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Small integrated SCUBA outfit

Some years ago I saw at a boat show a small SCUBA outfit that had a small (20 cf?) tank mounted on the front of a B.C.
it’s claim to fame was that everything was left assembled so that if necessary all one had to do was strap it on and go over.
I thought it would be convenient for checking anchor or clearing prop and it took up very little room.
I can’t seem to find any now. Maybe no longer available or I’m using wrong search terms.
Anyone come across something like this?
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:31   #2

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17
Re: Small integrated SCUBA outfit

I think Mantus (the anchor people) has a unit like that.
Check their website.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:44   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38

It’s not exactly the same unit but it is exactly what I was looking for.
Than you very much.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 12:57   #4

Zeagle Quick Express I believe is what you're talking about
rcostescu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 13:07   #5

https://www.zeagle.com/products-repo...roducts/code-3
Old 29-07-2019, 13:08   #6

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
It’s not exactly the same unit but it is exactly what I was looking for.
Than you very much.
Any time, happy to be able to pass along useful information.

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 13:08   #7

Zeagle Code 3 BCD actually
Old 29-07-2019, 13:38   #8

Boat: 21' trailer sailor & 8' sailing dinghy

Pony bottle SCUBA
-would be a good search term on the interwebs-
Mantus, Zeagle, Spare-Air, etc....
I have yet to try any of those. By the time I gear up for cold water I want a big tank so I can hang out at depth for a while.
Old 29-07-2019, 13:51   #9

Boat: Pearson 10M

I recently purchased a used 20CF pony bottle and a NOS regulator from my local shop for $200. I picked up a $25 backpack mount from Amazon. Its a little buoyant, a bit hard to stay down without weight but OK for an prop inspection or such. Thinking that wearing weights without a BCD is not a great idea. This set up is perfect for clearing a prop, my intended use.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 04:13   #10

Maybe slightly different but I have used the same set up since 2005 and it works really well. It is the "Brownie Lung" single hose unit with 75 feet of hose to the regulator. It stays on the boat, runs off of the generator, and not only provides enough leeway for me to dive the boat, the air supply is not limited, and I have stayed under for two hours many times. It has enough reach to dive in 25 feet of water and still leave room to cover some space. I might add it is important for me as a person who has had a "stent" placed in my heart and was told by my Doctor not to dive below the first atmosphere or approx 33 feet. Easy to do by anchoring off in waters less than 30 feet and just go. I might not be able to have the fun of free diving or scuba, but this works for me, and in the Keys it works great. When we raft up, my friends always say.....Hey "check my props and shafts".......to which I might reply "for Two Pina Colada's, one for each hand", and yes that usually works out just fine, LOL!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 04:56   #11

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Thinking that wearing weights without a BCD is not a great idea.

Depends on your training and experience. It was done routinely before there were BCDs. You have to use the correct amount of lead; most divers today are overweighted and overuse the BC to compensate.

On the other hand, the major agencies now teach that diving without a BC is unsafe, lead or no lead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabo_sailor View Post
Some years ago I saw at a boat show a small SCUBA outfit that had a small (20 cf?) tank mounted on the front of a B.C. it’s claim to fame was that everything was left assembled so that if necessary all one had to do was strap it on and go over. I thought it would be convenient for checking anchor or clearing prop and it took up very little room.

I have experimented extensively with travel BCs and various reduced-gear approaches to diving and haven't found a "sweet spot" other than just using my usual configuration. I dive a backplate and wing (BP/W) and use a smaller 18# wing in warmer water. It is more compact than most jacket-style BCs. It is possible to save a hose here and there -- get rid of the octo and use an air-integrated inflator for example, get rid of the SPG and use a J-valve regulator -- but it doesn't change the picture much. It is also possible to use a smaller cylinder and I've experimented a little with that.

I have used tank backpacks with no BC at all and a completely streamlined regulator set (no octo, no SPG) and didn't find it to be liberating or easier to handle to any material degree, though I was using full size tanks for these experiments.

I have separately experimented with just using a handheld cylinder, which got in the way more than a backmounted cylinder, and wasn't an improvement either.

So I guess I have come around to the conclusion that I want my cylinder to be back mounted with straps. Once I'm doing that there isn't any benefit to trying to shrink the rig beyond a spartan BP/W setup with a compact travel wing, so that's what I use.

The BP/W I use was made by a company now out of business. Here's a comparable one that's still available: https://www.divegearexpress.com/dgx-...e-wing-package

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33trippindaisy View Post
Maybe slightly different but I have used the same set up since 2005 and it works really well. It is the "Brownie Lung" single hose unit with 75 feet of hose to the regulator.

These work out well for many people and you don't need air fills. If you have dive cylinders aboard for other reasons, I'm not sure I see the benefit.
Jammer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 05:18   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Certainly worth keeping something on board. I keep a 5 litre cylinder, BC and Scuba Pro reg on board, just in case.

I know we have discussed it before, but training would be good if someone hasn't dived under water before.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 05:32   #13

Boat: 2011 Leopard 384

Thanks for the many contributions here and on other similar threads.

Apparently the "bail-out" bottle/mini-Scuba (James Bond) industry is heating up with several recent additions on the same theme...I learned to Scuba when dropping your weight-belt was the primary flotation maneuver...by the time I began teaching Scuba to university students we used inflatable B.C.s similar to what airlines have under your seat in today's aircraft.

With much better maneuverability and comfort I've been using the light-weight compressor by SeaBreathe ...(the Scuba community used to call these "hookah" rigs), ... the one I use is single-hose, 12 v. battery clips, 25' air-supply hose and unlimited supply of deck-level air with no exhaust or other contaminants.

I can take all the time I need to clean/unwrap prop/etc. Takes 5 minutes to prepare to dive and the same to clean/stow the gear.

(Would still recommend training for anyone using compressed/surface-supplied air at any depth greater than a snorkel will function.)

Love it!! (unsolicited suggestion; I receive no benefits from referring this).
S D Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 05:48   #14

My setup was a gift from a good friend who is a Dive master and a Master Diver, as well as a retired Delta force guy at our Marina. I had spent much time talking about diving, but with the heart stent it simply was not possible for me. He said i could still tank dive but safety was of utmost concern, and one day he showed up at the docks with a Pelican case filled with the Brownie, the hoses, and the regulator and off we went. Cleaned a bunch of boat bottoms getting used to being underwater, created a bunch of laughs when he first sent me in without a weight belt, as I thrashed around like an idiot trying to get under my boat......but any way for me, this set up has been perfect for over a dozen years. I even bring it home on occasion to teach the grandson in the pool. It's just a good piece of equipment within its limitations!
33trippindaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2019, 07:20   #15

Boat: Pearson 10M

[QUOTE=Jammer;2942864]Depends on your training and experience. It was done routinely before there were BCDs. You have to use the correct amount of lead; most divers today are overweighted and overuse the BC to compensate.

On the other hand, the major agencies now teach that diving without a BC is unsafe, lead or no lead.

You are correct, if properly weighted a BCD is not needed...if all is well. The problem I see is that if there is a problem, there is nothing I can quickly do to be positively buoyant. No weights to ditch or BCD to inflate. Not an issue for cleaning a bottom, but might be when clearing a prop in less than ideal conditions. Always possible to become separated from the boat. All depends on your comfort zone as you mentioned. Me, rather be a bit safer and have a bit of work to get under the boat.

Agreed that simple if better for this purpose, 20CF tank, simple backpack. No gauges, no octo, no inflator. If I need more than that I have a bigger problem than I am likely to want to handle while out.
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Cuba, scuba