Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2011, 15:09   #1

Boat: 27' catalina
Smile Slip Party ?

So i am just getting into sailing... well sort of i've been sailing since i was a kid but never taken the "right of passage" solo trip so...

Since i've been thinking of taking solo trip to catalina... it will obviously be my 1st time doing it totally solo... kind of nervous... any one have any tips? is it better to have a couple of other solo sailers with you (like how motorcycles do it...) so when i get to catalina i'll have someone there to hang with LOL!

on a side note i just got a new slip in newport Beach Ca, and a bunch of the guys like to get together on the weekends and BBQ after dark.. since i'm new i wanted to try something and hopefully impress...

i saw this and it inspired the idea to play a movie on my sail! ....

has anyone tried something like this? i have a 27' Catalina (coincidentally also the location of my 1st solo trip haha) so space is also issue since i will be doing it in the dark i figured i could pick up one of those "micro projectors" since i'll only need about a 75" image...

any one tried this? Am i crazy to do it? it would obviously have to be a calm night, but other than that?
Hulllotofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2011, 17:27   #2

Re: Slip party?

Hull,

See this thread.

Take a crewman the first time. Have fun.
Old 27-05-2011, 18:36   #3

Boat: Traditional 30
Re: Slip party?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulllotofun View Post
So i am just getting into sailing... well sort of i've been sailing since i was a kid but never taken the "right of passage" solo trip so...

Since i've been thinking of taking solo trip to catalina... it will obviously be my 1st time doing it totally solo... kind of nervous... any one have any tips? is it better to have a couple of other solo sailers with you (like how motorcycles do it...) so when i get to catalina i'll have someone there to hang with LOL!

on a side note i just got a new slip in newport Beach Ca, and a bunch of the guys like to get together on the weekends and BBQ after dark.. since i'm new i wanted to try something and hopefully impress...

i saw this and it inspired the idea to play a movie on my sail! ....

has anyone tried something like this? i have a 27' Catalina (coincidentally also the location of my 1st solo trip haha) so space is also issue since i will be doing it in the dark i figured i could pick up one of those "micro projectors" since i'll only need about a 75" image...

any one tried this? Am i crazy to do it? it would obviously have to be a calm night, but other than that?
Definately. At Hamilton Island race week we coated the boat in theatrical lighting. Every from LED washes to Water effects. It looked fantastic and was quite the talking point with people coming onto the marina at night so see it.

To do the sails though, you will have to project from a neighbours boat obviously.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2011, 22:51   #4
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Slip Party ?

If you're gonna raise the sail to play a movie, possibly best to do it on a calm evening...
But who goes to a party to watch a movie?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2011, 01:32   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
If you're gonna raise the sail to play a movie, possibly best to do it on a calm evening...
But who goes to a party to watch a movie?
Well, if it's one of those movies, perhaps . . . But I wouldn't project that on a sail
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2011, 10:36   #6

Boat: 27' catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, if it's one of those movies, perhaps . . . But I wouldn't project that on a sail

HAHA! no it id definitely not one of THOSE movies...

and @ozskipper so true it would have to be a pretty calm night but they don't seem to BBQ unless it is calm since the wind whips around the charcoal ashes...

i was trying to provide a cool ambiance... have you ever been to a club/bar where they have old B&W or James bond movies playing in the background? kind of like that...

and finally @ starbuck thanks for the link it was SOOOO helpful!
Hulllotofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 10:38   #7

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38

If you are going to do a slip party find out what you need to do to serve beer and then get a keg or two and a portable dispenser. We have a fellow at our club who does it once in a while and its quite the success. Everyone dresses ship, contributes food or wine and we party til the booze runs out or we all fall down.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote