Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2023, 18:57   #1

Boat: S2-35C
Shore transportation - Bikes

I've been slowly working my way south down the east coast USA. I have a bit of a disability, as a result I walk very slow. I've been relying on patients and Uber, both of which limit the fun of exploring new areas. I've been looking at bikes, preferably a folding ebike. I've searched on here for both and the threads I've found are 5-10 years old, ancient from a technological stand point.

What is everyone doing these days for shore transport while cruising?
pas63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 19:27   #2

Boat: 1999 Hunter 410
Re: Shore transportation - Bikes

I bought a folding electric bike. It's heavy around at round 60 lbs, a bit of a job getting ashore in a dinghy, but lays in an unused berth aboard. I just always worry someone's going to steal it. Other than that they simply are great.
Windpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 19:27   #3

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40

Watch out for the weight. Many can weigh over 40# which can be awkward to load and unload. I like this one for light weight but I haven’t tried it https://www.amazon.com/Qualisports-C...B07THMJ31W/ref
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2023, 19:29   #4

I think scooters are in my future. Easier to stow and load.
Old 31-01-2023, 20:09   #5

https://youtu.be/ZR7Ua89cKGU

Not promoting the channel but was watching this one day. They used a scooter to get around for the day.

Can you really get this kind of distance from one of these...with two people?

If so, could be a good solution.
SV_Galateia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 04:11   #6

We went with folding electric bikes made by GoCycle. They have a 50 mile range and only weigh 37 pounds, pretty awesome little machines! They literally fold in 10 seconds and the engineering is top notch.

Major downside is though they are expensive, but hey so is maintaining a boat!
Kinkircating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 05:21   #7

This is the scooter I’ve got my eye on. It’s light at 28# but the range is limited, they claim 15 miles, so I’d expect half that under real world use. Should be good enough to get around town or to a local store. I like the looks, too. Flat-proof tires is a plus.
https://unagiscooters.com/products/the-scooter/
Old 01-02-2023, 05:26   #8

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by pas63 View Post
I've searched on here for both and the threads I've found are 5-10 years old, ancient from a technological stand point.

What is everyone doing these days for shore transport while cruising?

I'd have thought there were more recent threads here... There was a relatively recent thread on trawlerforum.com (sister site).

FWIW, we use folding bikes, but not electric. Not excited about the extra complexity. Even the "folding" hardware adds some maintenance work, 'cause that's usually less than 316 stainless quality.

-Chris
Old 01-02-2023, 06:12   #9

I guess there is risk in everything, but be careful: https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...s-a4632489902/

Unless physical issues prevent pedaling, a regular bike is cheaper and gives you the chance to get a bit of exercise.
leecea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 08:44   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
I guess there is risk in everything, but be careful: https://www.consumerreports.org/heal...s-a4632489902/

Unless physical issues prevent pedaling, a regular bike is cheaper and gives you the chance to get a bit of exercise.
Yes, totally agree with this and we did consider regular bikes. The problem is a regular small folding bikes and steep hills on tropical islands are a recipe for leaving them in the boat. Having a 500W motor and 50-mile range and only 37 pounds translates into actually using them seeing much more of the islands or local destinations than is realistically possible/desirable without that extra help. I'm not 20 years old anymore even though sometimes I act like it, my body makes sure to remind me of this.
Old 01-02-2023, 11:19   #11

I can almost guarantee the 50 mile range does not include steep hills. The link below is specific to Bosch motors, but there is little variance within the industry.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/service/range-calculator

EDIT: Also, keep in mind that the battery will last about 600 charge cycles or about 5 years with average use. After that, it will need to be replaced. You might be able to find someone who can repair the motor if it breaks, but even Bosch doesn't repair theirs. They just replace them.
SeanPatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 11:34   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanPatrick View Post
I can almost guarantee the 50 mile range does not include steep hills. The link below is specific to Bosch motors, but there is little variance within the industry.

https://www.bosch-ebike.com/us/service/range-calculator
Of course, it will not give you 50 miles including steep hills, I'd bet it is likely half of that at best with my 200lb butt in the seat. But they are lighter that most anything else electric out there, fold smaller and have very respectable range with larger motor with more torque than any other folding electric we found.
Old 01-02-2023, 12:11   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecea View Post
The linked article mentions the London Fire Brigades report on battery fires. For some reason, I ran across that London Fire Brigade report last year, and it was an eye opener. There are YouTube videos of lithium batteries on scooters and bikes catching fire, and sometimes it looks like they are exploding. The fires I saw where in relatively open spaces for the most part. Having a fire, like what is in the videos, in the confined space of a boat, would be horrific.

Years ago, I had a NiMH tool battery start smoking after a short use and replacing in the battery charger. If I had not smelled something, found the smoking battery and got it out of the house, I think the battery would have caught fire and burned down the house.

That was my last working tool battery and for years I got along without battery powered tools. However, last year I HAD to have a battery power tool and bought a new Lithium based product. When I charge the batteries, it is in a place if they do catch fire, they will not burn down the house, and where I can watch them. After they are charged, they are taken out of the charger and everything put away. Good news is that the batteries certainly stay charged and they charge fast.

On a boat, I would watch the batteries charge and they would be on the deck so I could sweep them over the side if there was a problem.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 13:27   #14

I like the idea of pedal assist ebikes, as I can try to get a bit of exercise… and not just twist a throttle. But the advantage of scooters for cruisers, especially if you’re concerned for security, is you can take them in with you, tucking them under a shopping cart or under your feet at a restaurant. While weight can be an issue, I’ve seen nice shoulder straps which allow you to throw them over your shoulder or on your back.

Just some added inputs.
Phyrcooler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2023, 14:43   #15

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Its all about the condition of the surface you will be traveling on. Scooters don't do pot holes well
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote