Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-08-2015, 05:18   #1

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Scuba tanks in the bahamas and non US countries vip & hydro question?

Are scuba tanks hydro'd and vip'd in the bahamas or bvi etc .l? I know we have dove in jamaica and the tanks were ancient and no vip

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 05:33   #2

Boat: Valiant 42
Re: Scuba tanks in the bahamas and non US countries vip & hydro question?

In my experience most if not all dive operations do VIP and hydro tanks. They may not waste money on VIP stickers. The hydro dates should be stamped near the neck so you can check for yourself on that. They probably do the VIPs on site using their own people. The cost of VIP is thus minimal for a dive shop as they pay staff very little. A dive operation has little incentive not to do these basic maintenance procedures. The risk isn't worth the tiny savings in cost.

If you find a tank out of hydro then complain to the operation and ask for another one that is within its 5 year inspection window. If you think there is a maintenance problem report it to the dive manager and whatever agency the dive operation is affiliated such as PADI or SSI. Dive operations need the affiliation to certify new divers.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 06:00   #3

Boat: Morgan 41 OI

Hydro is mandated by the DOT/CTC. They have no authority in a foreign country outside the US/ Canada. VIP is an industry standard for SCUBA. Unless the foreign country mandates inspection they are suspect.
C4 King Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 10:50   #4

Boat: Valiant 42

Hydro is a basic safety issue for dive operations. Most scuba tank fill stations will not fill a tank out of hydro. This is true regardless of local country regulations. There have been too many explosions and the industry knows that hydro testing is the best way to avoid injury or death.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 11:03   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by C4 King Cobra View Post
Hydro is mandated by the DOT/CTC. They have no authority in a foreign country outside the US/ Canada. VIP is an industry standard for SCUBA.
This, US Federal law mandates Hydro, VIP is a "standard", but has no teeth.
A shop that sends a tank out for Hydro and then wants to charge you for a VIP, is ripping you off plain and simple, but a lot of money is made from VIP's
I do my own VIP's, I buy the stickers on EBAY.
I saw your being ripped off, because step one in the Hydro is a visual inspection by a trained professional, Scuba shop VIP is usually done by the tank monkey, who often has no real training, they are told to look for water and rust, and refill the tank.
If you have O2 clean tanks, make darn sure your there for the VIP, I had one idiot put silicone grease on all my valves, making me have to pay to have everything cleaned.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas, Cuba, scuba, tanks