Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-12-2017, 08:43   #31

Re: Satellite TV on a boat - anyone know a DIY stabilised platform?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capella View Post
Hi

Photographers have been known to use a few old 5.25" hard drives as cheap gyros when making a steadycam. They also add weight where it is needed. You will probably need the active system you initially contemplated, but adding the gyros should help with stabilisation.

Regards
Michael
Gyros will help a lot with stabilization, but will not help holding a position over the long term.

Look up Ken-Lab's Kenyon gyro's.
BlueChicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2017, 18:49   #32

Boat: O'Day 34

I have 3 KVH systems that were removed from several friend's vessels during a total refit. These were all working when they were removed. They are now taking up space in my garage. As my current sailboat has no room for them anyone can pick them up for $500 each. I'm located in SE Florida.
PM me if you're interested.
Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2017, 00:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by FionaJC View Post
Thanks Caribbeachbum and Blue Chicago for the advice. I started this as my multi channel terestial aeriel doesnt work that well all the time.

Since thinking about this overnight and reading all the comments its becoming more of a quest and possibly a project over Christmas. I saw this video and read the source code.

I am going to play with an Arduino, stepper motors/20Kg servos and a six axis accellerometer with a magnetometer and a Zehdnder Mutimo dish.

I reckon I can do this for an outlay less that £300. I only need to tune in to Astra and I can make the dome in fibre glass.

Anyone else interested in my progress or got any more advice please?
Thanks very much for that video . I would be very interested in your progress .
I have a Colvic Victor 35 that I keep in the Med ' so would be interested in your project as I spend a lot of time at anchor when cruising .
Best wishes
bustermaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 07:03   #34

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

You might want to do some digging within the ham radio satellite comms community. Most of the software for tracking including LEOs is available. Might help. GEOs are easier even from a marine platform.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:22   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Hi Fiona,

I don't know of an open source resource to point you to, but wanted to mention my boat had an 'economy' dish tracking device when I acquired it. It purportedly worked with any sat dish TV service.

It was branded Follow Me TV and appears to still be manufactured in case it is of interest.

I never used it and therefore cannot comment on its efficacy. [It is relegated to storage until such time that I need to make more room...]

Best wishes finding/creating what will best suit your needs.

Cheers! Bill
We had one and it worked quite well. No, if the boat is bouncing around it wouldn't work so great but since most people anchor where you don't get 3-4' waves, it rarely was an issue. At anchor, the vast majority of movement you need to accommodate is swinging side to side not up and down.

If you are just looking for a project because you find it fun, go for it but remember the old adage about "better is the enemy of good enough".
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 04:15   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cheoy Lee, 44 Cutter. Dolce Far Niente

I am not sure if you guys are just interested in seeing if you can build a Sat tv dome on your own but I just bought an older Sea Tel 24" marine dome for my boat that there are plenty of available. They sell for $300 - $800 and I did not have to build anything. It works great and I have had it for 5 years. Not the latest and greatest but it also wasn't $6,000. Now the pole to mount it on was an expensive item..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sat tv pole.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	405.4 KB
ID:	161789  
rourkeh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, satellite