Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2010, 15:23   #1

Boat: MacGregor 26M
Salon or Saloon ?

As new sailors, we've poured over every book on sailing that we can find. We're a bit confused by the terms "salon" and "saloon" when referring to the area below deck. We've seen them both used, and at first I thought that "saloon" was just "salon" being misspelled. Now I've seen it often enough that I have to believe that the writers intend to spell it that way.

I was directed to the thread regarding pushpits vs pullpits, so I realize that we can call it whatever we darn well please; but I am curious to know what others think.

Opinions, anyone? Thanks!

Barbara / Selah Way
Selah Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 15:33   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

In my experience, Barbara, older sailors and those given to tradition are inclined to use "saloon." Those who are newer to the sport, or who may like to read marketing copy, the term salon is most often used.

Boating Encyclopedia has this to say about the two words:

"Many boaters seem to find the word cabin rather lacking the elegance and significance they associate with their boats. Therefore, they refer to their cabin as a salon, a fancy French term for reception hall or a room filled with perfumed finery.Hairdressers, beauticians, and couturiers have salons; sailors have a saloon. The Encyclopedia of Nautical Knowledge defines a saloon this way: “In a cargo and smaller passenger vessels, the main cabin, or that serving as a dining-room, assembly room, etc.” The Oxford Concise Dictionary describes a saloon as a “public room for first-class or for all passengers on ship.”The only dissonant note is sounded by Webster’s New World Dictionary, which allows the use of both salon and saloon but then confesses that saloon is “specifically, the main social cabin of a passenger ship.” Nevertheless, whereas most sailors use the word saloon, most powerboaters seem to prefer salon.It’s possible that some boaters use the word salon because they don’t want their boats to be associated with saloons where strong alcoholic drinks are served and rough men indulge in fisticuffs. But a better choice than either salon or saloon would be cabin. What could be simpler or more correct?"

TaoJones
Old 17-08-2010, 16:05   #3

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Tomartoes/tomaytoes?

I hadn't seen salon until reading these forums and broker websites that are global. It looks to me as though salon is widely used in the USA, whereas UK, Aus, NZ uses saloon.

Tao's encyclopdia quote was enlightening... I've only heard salon being used in the context of hairdressers, nails, beauty etc...

Pullpit is at the pointy end... pushpit is at the blunt end.
Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:04   #4
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36
Calder calls it "saloon", so good enough for me. Besides, that is where the cold beer is.
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 17:05   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Saloon!!
Old 17-08-2010, 17:50   #6

Boat: Beneteau First 42
Where men predominate, particularly during or after a long tough race in rotten conditions, the main accomodation is most assuredly a "Saloon". On the other hand, where the fairer sex prevails--and smells--I would conceed to Salon; and, when my wife is aboard, "Beauty Salon..."

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2010, 18:51   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
saloon is the main room. pulpit is front and pointy end
STERN RAIL is the aft flat railing at your back when you are at the helm of a sailing boat. pushpit is if you have a LUGGER.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:10   #8

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
A Salon is where ladies get their hair done.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:16   #9

Boat: Long range motor cruiser
A cabin is where I sleep though I'm enormously tempted by the American tendency to call it a 'State Room' which sounds far grander
The message is the journey, we are sure the answer lies in the destination. But in reality, there is no station, no place to arrive at once and for all. The joy of life is the trip, and the station is a dream that constantly out distances us”. Robert Hastings, The Station
fishwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:31   #10

Boat: 58 Taswell AS
It's saloon. I don't know, it makes no sence. I guess I'm "an older sailor".
speciald@ocens. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:41   #11
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
It looks to me as though salon is widely used in the USA, whereas UK, Aus, NZ uses saloon.
Thats how I guessed it. BTW I am not typing this from the Saloon. I'm in the Nav Station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishwife View Post
A cabin is where I sleep though I'm enormously tempted by the American tendency to call it a 'State Room' which sounds far grander
HELLO! Thats a great idea! Wow! We just got 2 Staterooms! It sounds even better if they're named: We have the Gerorge Washington Stateroom forward and the Royal State r'm aft.

And because we're in France its now called: Le Salon de Saloon.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 09:46   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
It looks to me as though salon is widely used in the USA, whereas UK, Aus, NZ uses saloon.
That's what I always thought too. Some half hearted attempt by Americans to emulate wacko English Commonwealth usage. Just like a Jaguar Saloon - obviously, the proper word for a yacht cabin is "sedan."

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:23   #13

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I heard that an enterprising tavern owner near Denver in the early 1800's modeled his tavern after the 'saloon' on a steam passenger liner. Apparently others decided that what's good for the goose is good for the gander.

I have no hard facts to support this theory, though.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 10:49   #14

Saloon for us but we only have cabins, no state rooms.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2010, 11:45   #15

Boat: MacGregor 26M
State room, huh? We might be able to get away with calling it that if we don't let anyone close enough to the interior of the boat to see past the curtains. Maybe "den" would be more appropriate... 'cuz a couple of foxes could fit comfortably in there!

As for saloon or salon, looks like the "saloons" have it. Again, given the size of our boat, maybe just "under there" would suffice.

Thanks for everyone's input on this!
Selah Way is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
salon, saloon