Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Fishing, Recreation & Fun
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2019, 08:27   #31

Re: Salmon fishing while sailing, or from a sailboat?

Yep, Salmon are a bit more work than your average offshore fishing regarding speed and depth. You can fish forever without downriggers and get nothing often. Downriggers work great, other than the price of lead balls now days. Depth depends on where you are. 20-50 ft. I would usually start out at about 30 ft.
We used to go on week long trips to the outside of Van Isle fishing salmon. Surprisingly, big spoons, (like a 6-7 inch long Dick Nite if you know what that is) worked better than herring and you didn't have to check your bait all the time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55   #32

Boat: Cross 39
Re: Salmon fishing while sailing, or from a sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by APWTryfan View Post
Just built a mount for Scotty downrigger on new to us C&C33. Within 5 minutes of dropping of Sarah Point (Lund BC) we caught a 12 pound winter spring at 180 feet. In the next 3 days we filled up on prawns and red snapper!
Congrats on the nice winter spring! What diameter SS rod is that plate welded to? I'm curious how flexible it is, especially with the drag on your downrigger line when fishing at 180'? (I'd be nervous enough to put a leash on the downrigger in case of snagging on the bottom).

Are you hauling your prawn traps up by hand or have you mounted a prawn puller on your boat? Either way, you've earned those prawns, enjoy.
Seagirt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, fish, fishing, sail, sailboat, sailing